Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Stupid or Inspired?
  • boblo
    Free Member

I was thinking, we all have loads of boiks that are ever so slightly different but in reality, very similar.

What if I had a frame built that could do a lot of the common stuff depending on build specifics?

The idea is I have one frame that can be built as a 700c road tourer, 29er off road tourer and be able to cope with derailleur, Alfine and Rohloff builds.

I’ve had a couple of frame builders quote for this:

– 853 or similar. My current Alfine build is a Genesis Day One and it is pretty dead to ride. It also weighs more than a small planet.

– Clearances for 700c and 29er

– Replaceable rear dropouts. 3 types: vertical + no der hanger for Alfine, vertical with der hanger and Rohloff specific

– Cable discs

– EBB

– Braze ons for Der/Alfine/Rohloff

– Usual complement of touring braze ons plus a few extras

– Frame to be designed for both drops and flat bars with a change of stem

Am I barking (up the wrong tree) and what have I missed?

ndthornton
    Free Member

jack of all trades – master of none
    +
    Are you actually going to build yourself a different bike every time you decide to go out for a road ride rather than a mountain bike ride rather than a bikepacking ride rather than a cyclocross race etc etc etc

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s not far off what I want to spec a Pact bike build as.

A monstercross with clearance for 29ers, geometry for drop bars, slotted drop outs like On-One, but with a hanger on the DS and long enough slot on the NDS to take a Rohloff OEM plate. Thread bosses for a variety of cable/hose guides from the NDS (Brake + 2x rohloff)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Stupid or Inspired?’ is closed to new replies.