Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)
  • Stupid names for kids
  • CountZero

I don’t get why anyone would want to name the kid after Otis the Aardvark – it just reminds me of the Otis & Marvin Reeves & Mortimer sketches.

Probably hoping to give him a lift up early in life.
    Just think how differently things might have turned out if the Son of God had been called Hey-zoos (as it’s pronounced by the Spanish).

oafishb
    Free Member

A man yelled out:

“Keats! Byron!”

At his children in a sports club soft play the other day.

I had to stand up to have a look.

He didn’t look like a fan of the young romantics poetry movement, it has to be said.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Like choosing a name for a dog, when naming a child you should always choose a name that you would be comfortable yelling across a playground/park/supermarket aisle.

Additionally with a child you should also consider whether they would have trouble being introduced as a Judge in later life…..

Imagine a news reporter reading this out “Preciding over this land-mark legal case is Judge T-Fanny Loser Smith.”

Really?

funkmasterp

Taking your advice on this one Simon. Funkmaster Mk3 is due in November and shall be called Shep or Lassie.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Definitely Joaquin and not a Portuguese Joaquim?

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Fantastic……!

When I eventually get sick of Teaching and smack one of the little blighters, I’d love to have “Judge Funkmaster Mk3” preciding over my case!

OR Judge Jools

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Nope… no Quim in his name… It was Joaquin. No Spanish heritage either.

So in the abscence of further information I went with Wha…King.

Do Spanish people really pronounce the Letter J as Juh?

vickypea
    Free Member

There was a Siobhan in my form at college and in our first lesson, the teacher was reading the register and pronounced it “Sigh-oh-barn” 😀

funkmasterp

Don’t think so. I worked with a Juan, he was Spanish and it was pronounced Wan.

I look forward to my offspring overseeing your trial 🙂

I too like Isambard.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Isambard is a great name….. Few yrs ago we had a family move in near to us that were a bit pikey…. eventually ciarian got arrested……..He fitted the stereotype perfectly

eddie11
    Free Member

Isambard?

i preferred his middle name Kingdom Now there is an awesome name. I made tentative enquires but was vetoed at an early stage.

Drac

So in the abscence of further information I went with Wha…King.

Which was close as it’s Wahkeen but in his case his parents chose different. So no idea what bob is on about.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About 10 years ago it was meeting 2 lasses called Sara and Sarah except they used the pronunciation of the other one…

Having grown up with a lot of Lukes and Leia’s there were no Jabbas sadly.

These days most of it makes Shardonai seem normal.

batfink
    Free Member

In New Zealand it got a bit ridiculous….. so they are actually having to ban certain baby names. A selection:

Justice – 77 rejections
    Lucifer – 7
    Lady – 4
    . (in name) – 3
    Christ – 3
    * (star symbol) – 1
    4real – 1
    Anal – 1
    Mafia No Fear – 1
    MMMR – 1
    Pryncess – 1
    Queen V – 1
    Queen Victoria – 1
    Senior Constable – 1
    Using brackets around middle name – 1
    V8 – 1

bob_summers

Why would I make this up drac? I have students called Joaquín. My son’s best mate is Joaquín. But you know best, I’ve been saying their names wrong and they are really called wah keen 😆

Xylene
    Free Member

Wolfgang – wolfgang was a nightmare coming out of his mum, he cried for the first 18months solid, and as I understand it today is still a nightmare at 6 years old.

Bet they wished they had called him Steve.

I taught a PTR – pronounced Peter – dad had apparently done to many e’s in his youth. as you can imagine PTR was a LTTL SHT

Xylene
    Free Member

There was a Siobhan in my form at college and in our first lesson, the teacher was reading the register and pronounced it “Sigh-oh-barn”

There was a really snooty girl at university who when we did the meet and greet at the first opening lectures was not best pleased when I said “What sort of name us sio-bHan?

Unfortunately, my stupidity was over-ruled by her outright snootyness, and her new nickname stuck to her. It could easily have become my nickname had she not had a personality like a pet stone.

blitz

Some friends of ours sold their house to a couple with two daughters called Vendetta and Calamity. Poor bastards.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I guess this thread is heading towards Jayden then? ( Hayden, Cayden, Caden, Logan, )

Although recently I did meet a young Beryl and Sidney.

Drac

Why would I make this up drac? I have students called Joaquín. My son’s best mate is Joaquín. But you know best, I’ve been saying their names wrong and they are really called wah keen

I didn’t say you made it up just no idea what you’re on about as the traditonal spanish way is Wahkeen.

Now this is interesting.

http://www.babynamespedia.com/pronounce/Joaquin#German

It seems Jo-a-king is the German way.

bob_summers

OK drac. You’re invited to come and take the register in my class. Let’s see how they like your pronunciation.

Clue. The spanish pronounce every vowel sound as written. You’re mixing it up with Hollywood Spanish.

Spin
    Free Member

Unusually, we’ve got this far without anyone claiming to actually know the urban legend that is Pocahontas McGinty.

Drac

OK drac. You’re invited to come and take the register in my class. Let’s see how they like your pronunciation.

Are you in Catalanoia?

Clue. The spanish pronounce every vowel sound as written. You’re mixing it up with Hollywood Spanish.

With what?

bob_summers

So now I’m saying it the German way. You couldn’t make this shit up 🙄
    I live in Spain mate, I can do a vox populi today if you like. See how many people say wah keen.

So how do you pronounce quinoa?

just seen your edit:

Are you in Catalanoia?

Catalanoia (noun)
    The feeling you’ve been speaking Spanish wrongly all these years 😆

Drac

So now I’m saying it the German way. You couldn’t make this shit up

No I said that appears to be the German way and interesting the Catalan way which might explain why some Spanish use it that way. I’m still puzzled or interested in how when the traditional way seems to be Wahkeen that you say in Spain it’s not?

Isn’ that supposed to be Kee’wah but I’m probably going to be told that your kid’s best friend it’s and calls is Jack.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1visYpIREUM[/video]

Drac

😆

bob_summers

In Waitrose, it’s KEEN wah. But if you actually want to buy some in a shop in Spain, you’re going to have to say ki NOH ah. As I mentioned – every vowel must be pronounced as written, there are no silent letters like in French or English.

So while I don’t doubt some people are called wah KEEN (they probably also shop in Waitrose), if you actually say that to a Spanish 8 year old called Joaquín, you’re going to get the same look as when you try to buy KEEN wah.

Drac

That makes sense but why is the Joa not Wah if the Spanish pronounce as a H’Y like sound?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Isn’ that supposed to be Kee’wah

IIRC that’s the pronounciation in Quechua – which I don’t speak.

bob_summers

Same way we don’t say Wan for Juan – there’s two vowels in there so it’s more like hu AN (hard to express in type). So Joaquín is, by extension, ho a KIN, though you may hear the ‘ho a’ as ‘hwa’, depending on the speaker’s accent and how tuned in your ear is.

Drac

Same way we don’t say Wan for Juan – there’s two vowels in there so it’s more like hu AN (hard to express in type)

I think that’s part of the problem, trying to type the phonetic as how I read and say it, to how someone who is fluent says it might not work.

So Joaquín is, by extension, ho a KIN, though you may hear the ‘ho a’ as ‘hwa’, depending on the speaker’s accent and how tuned in your ear is.

Yeah see that’s just it I hear Hwa, wah is really bad way to type it oops, but I certainly don’t hear Juh as in Joe.

bob_summers

IIRC that’s the pronounciation in Quechua – which I don’t speak.

It’s a Quechuan word which has been Anglicised as Keenwah, and Spanglified as Kinoa, neither being wrong. My point was only to highlight that you can’t walk into a Spanish shop and buy Keenwah – they are much more blinkered about pronunciation. Britain has a much greater mish mash of accents, so we tend to try harder to understand what the speaker means. French and Spanish will tend to just put their hands on their ears and sing lalalala until you say it their way 😉

bob_summers

Drac, the diminutive/shortening of Juan Carlos (eg the previous king of Spain) = Juanca which is particularly funny for Brits.

Beagleboy

There’s a wee girl in my wife’s nursery called Maeve. When chatting to the child’s mother, my wife was corrected on her pronunciation of the girl’s name. It’s “Ma – eve” apparently, and the mother gets very annoyed at people pronouncing it wrong.

My wife deals with this sort of thing far better than I ever could.

C.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I have a friend called Aonghas.

Any non-Gaelic speakers want to have a crack at pronouncing that correctly?

Drac

Juanca which is particularly funny for Brits.

😀

It’s “Ma – eve” apparently, and the mother gets very annoyed at people pronouncing it wrong.

There’s another way?

Maybe after years of taking, writing and pronouncing names I can get some easily but I struggle so see another away to pronounce Maeve.

scud
    Free Member

I work for an insurer, one of our investigators went out to a “travelling family” to try and take a liability statement after a road traffic accident.

He asked the woman what her name was and she pronounced it “with-an-e”, so he thought he had misheard and that she had said claire “with-an-e” or similar and that she was just clarifying how to spell it.

SO he asked her to spell “with-an-e” for the formal statement and she replied….

“Y-V-O-N-N-E”

hypnonewt
    Free Member

I grew up with a kid called Digger.
    And was at a kids event a couple of weeks ago and was reading through the kids names from a local school. I found the name Le-a. So assumed it was pronounced leea or Leah. Nope the teacher informed me she was called ladasha. Yes the – was pronounced dash.

GrahamS

I have a friend called Aonghas.
    Any non-Gaelic speakers want to have a crack at pronouncing that correctly?

I’m guessing Angus?

Maybe with a silent ‘g’ 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘Stupid names for kids’ is closed to new replies.