Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stupid Car Insurance Question
  • crispo
    Free Member

This is probably very daft, but can someone shed some light on what we actually need to do.

Mrs Crispo was rear ended last week while sat at some lights. Gave the woman who did it the option to pay cash if she wanted to avoid claiming. Got it valued at a local place that have always done very good work for us at a good price and he reckoned it would be about £300.

We told the woman and she wants to do it through insurance. So now is it a case of giving her our details and she can sort it through hers? Or do we have to claim with ours? Don’t really want to be out of pocket £300 while we wait for ours and her insurance company to battle it out!

How does it work? Will we lose our NCB even though it’s completely her fault?

geoffj

Just tell your insurance the story and let them deal with it – it’s what you pay them for and they’ll increase your premium anyway.

It may be a bit awkward having already had the repairs done though.

maccruiskeen

You’re not out of pocket are you? You’ve only asked for a quote. As above your insurers will claim against the other driver for you, and what they should do is see you right – get the car repaired or whatever – whilst they pursue that claim. You won’t loose your NCB as long as the other party is pays out, depending on your terms you might need to pay an excess until the claim is settled.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Have you already paid out for the repairs? If not don’t.

Ring your insurance, tell them what happened and they’ll run you through the rest.

Rscott
    Free Member

Tell your insurance, they will sort it,as stated above.

but what a muppet, ifi had rear ended someone and they offered me to pay in cash i’d have bitten there hands of for £300, and no whiplash claim.

My other half went into the back of someone 2 years ago the damage cost arounds £200 plus admin,with out whiplash claim. and we must have payed around £1000 extra on insurance because of it.

The down side is if your OH does have and health issues long term as of it you would have no help from the insurers down the line.

crispo
    Free Member

Sorry.

No haven’t paid for the repairs yet. I was meaning that ill be out of pocket for a while as i will have to pay the excess until it gets settled! Just seems a bit of a bugger when you’ve not done anything at all wrong!

Can I tell my insurance I have a preference of where does the repairs!?

Thanks

jota180
    Free Member

but what a muppet, ifi had rear ended someone and they offered me to pay in cash i’d have bitten there hands of for £300, and no whiplash claim

‘spose that depends somewhat, what their excess is and whether they have much NCD to protect
    My yearly premiums are only £200 so £300 would take some thinking about

geoffj

Can I tell my insurance I have a preference of where does the repairs!?

Yes, although you may lose out on any perks that come with their approved repairers e.g. courtesy car.

IME it’s not worth getting too involved with the process. Tell your insurance and let them deal with it how they see fit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stupid Car Insurance Question’ is closed to new replies.