• This topic has 45 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • StUPID cake eating IJITS at the Passport Office
  • gearfreak
    Free Member

Just recieved a letter saying that we hadn’t enclosed our Daughters Birth Certificate with her passport application. ABSOLUTE BOBBINS, you lieing **** Ijits!! Supposed to be heading off to a month of relaxing in the sun of Europe and because of your friggin incompetence now we can’t. A once in a lifetime opportunity RUINED due to **** unionised **** who cant do there job properly. STRIKE! Get back to work or be privatised! ARRRGGGGHHHH.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Probably should have put the birth certificate in with the application.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Same day appointment with a replacement birth certificate.

gearfreak
    Free Member

For baby passport you can’t use the one day service. Can take upto 3 weeks to get an appointment for the fast track, but can’t book appointment with a pending application and would take 3 weeks to cancell the existing application (in writing), so minimum of 6 weeks for ‘fast track’. And off course the birth certificate was sent with the application!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Passport office and DVLA are scum. I’m anti privatisation but these two should be privatised ASAP. Useless and not fit for purpose.

Moses

oops

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That’s why the prices went up so much a few years ago.

Also see the cost of recovery of British folks from various war zones and drug busts round the world.

zokes
    Free Member

A once in a lifetime opportunity RUINED due to **** unionised **** who cant do there job properly.

Or ruined by your inability to heed their long-standing advice not to make travel arrangements until you have your documents. Just a thought….

iolo
    Free Member

when did you apply OP?
    It has been on the news for the last few months that they have had problems for a while in processing applications. They did say they need at least 8 weeks, possibly more to turn a passport around from application to receiving.
    Why would you not send the birth certificate as they clearly ask for it. If I remember rightly it’s even written on the outside of the envelope.

project
    Free Member

Should have used the post office check and send, they check its all there send it securely to passport office, and then deliver it back a week latter and leave it in a communal letter box for a few hours, when you where in all day and he couldnt be bothered ringing the intercom.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For future reference, and assuming you didn’t know, The Post Office do a check and send service which i’ve always used in the past. Doesn’t cost alot so well worth it.

dooosuk
    Free Member

The think the PO check and send is a rip off. Over £9 to read 3 sheets of paper and check some documents are included.

The OP filled the documents in correctly. The Passport office has lost them.

Sent our application off for a baby passport 6 weeks ago and it’s arrived today in the post. Hopefully it is our daughters when I get back and open it later.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Give them a ring, if you genuinely did send the birth certificate it may well be found or they might come to an accommodation?

or

Just send her ahead in the post.

lilchris
    Free Member

Why would you not send the birth certificate as they clearly ask for it. If I remember rightly it’s even written on the outside of the envelope read the whole thread?

FTFY

gearfreak
    Free Member

To be honest after 14 replies I’m disappointed to not have been given a rant score.

Am considering just burying her under a pile of coats on the way out, and then getting the passport sent out to us somewhere in France.

(Not actually booked anything, but due to combination of Maternity/Paternity and annual leave this is a fairly unique chance to have some quality time as a family, so pretty annoyed if we can’t head over the channel)

iolo
    Free Member

Borrow someone elses, all babies are quite ugly and look the same.

Northwind

It’s nothing to do with unions or strikes, the passport office is a badly run, underresourced disaster area, standard MO for the home office.

Cougar

The think the PO check and send is a rip off. Over £9 to read 3 sheets of paper and check some documents are included.

And yet, it’d have been £9 for the OP to avoid being in the situation they’re in. Small price to pay, in this case not necessarily for the documents to be checked but for the subsequent redress to prove who’d made the mistake.

It is a crazy situation though, and I do sympathise. We ended up having to reschedule a recent holiday due to “oops, I can’t find my passport” shenanigans, fun times.

nick1962
    Free Member

I think you may find that the mail opening part of most of the Civil Service has already been privatised by Capita so maybe direct your understandable ire at the private sector……

dooosuk
    Free Member

And yet, it’d have been £9 for the OP to avoid being in the situation they’re in

No it wouldn’t.

Small price to pay, in this case not necessarily for the documents to be checked but for the subsequent redress to prove who’d made the mistake.

Proving who made the mistake doesn’t solve the issue and get the OP a passport in the time frame required. I’d hope that they’ll still want to see a birth certificate and they don’t just go oh, OK then here’s a passport anyway.

jon1973
    Free Member

Are you flying of travelling on a ferry? A friend of mine travelled on the ferry last year with no passport for his 4 year old daughter, he just phoned ahead (the ferry operator and French customs )and asked if it would be a problem. It wasn’t.

bigblackshed

OP

3 out of 10. OK use of capitalisation. No spelling mistakes. And makes sense. Could try harder.

Feel better now Princess? 😉

graeme.s
    Free Member

I recently needed a baby one within 4 weeks, applied as usual at the post office who told me it should be 3 weeks. in the 4th week i called and requested the ‘free upgrade’ to premium or express status but this is meaningless.

i ultimately had to contact my MP whos secretarry seems to do this sort of thing daily and within 3 days we had the passport.

so you have time, dont bother attempting to contact them through their own telephone number you wont get any meaningful information , your MP or more accurately their staff, can put pressure on. Well , it worked for me.

trickydisco
    Free Member

so you have time, dont bother attempting to contact them through their own telephone number you wont get any meaningful informatio

untrue in my experience. I stupidly put mine through the wash. Had a week in the alps booked for 4 weeks time. Phoned them on a few occasions as things were getting very close. They took it out of the normal queue and upgraded it for free. Passport arrived 3 days later

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Are you flying

wrap the baby up well and stick it in the hold?

njee20
    Free Member

3 out of 10. OK use of capitalisation. No spelling mistakes.

I disagree, we’ve got “Ijits”, there’s an incorrect “there” in there, missing apostrophe on “daughters”. I thought it was one of the better efforts 8/10.

Can’t help with your plight though OP.

MoreCashThanDash

The Passport Office are struggling with a massive recruitment problem – not enough staff, poor publicity due to delays, no one applying for the jobs.

When I get back to the trenches tomorrow I will delete a lot of Civil Service Jobsite emails all with Passport vacancies in them. The grass is in no way greener over there!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Has the OP tried calling them? In the past when I’ve dealt with lost paperwork it has usually been found as once you’ve told them they should have it.

Freester

8.5/10 Good mix of capitalisation, swearing and coherent / incoherency slowing building up in tension and anger. One obvious spelling / colloquialism – I would have scored you higher if there were a few more spelling mistakes and / or if the rant was a little longer. Good work.

Rockplough
    Free Member

In the interests of balance I called the passport office last Tuesday (answered almost immediately) to ask for a Fast Track appointment. Got an appointment on the Friday morning. Passport plopped through the letterbox yesterday.

Check and send is for the hard-of-thinking.

bigblackshed

Slipping standards in RANTS on STW. [\Shakes head and wanders off mumbling about how things used to be] 🙄

40mpg

Getting from England to France won’t be a problem if by car. I had an issue a while back when, the night before travelling, I realised my then-13 yr old duaghters passport had expired 3 months previously.

After a few panicked phone calls I decided to chance it – and sailed through on the way out, just waved a handful of passports at French customs.

Got a minor telling off on the way back though!

My advice – if you are dead set on going – phone the PP office, get things moving, go anyway, get someone to post the new PP on to you in France, and just stay there until it arrives!

Just take some folder red card to wave on the way out, they’ll never notice 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Bureaucrats are not easy to deal with so you need to be absolutely sure everything is in place before even considering approaching them. They are a nightmare to deal with. Read the small print very carefully …

JulianA
    Free Member

Passport Office are utter, utter tossers and shouldn’t be allowed to process a barbecue invite, let alone anything important.

Too long a story to be bothered typing the whole sorry thing.

I despise them and their stupid systems – they are a shining example of some of the (many) things I hate about this country.

schnor
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your problem OP 🙁

I’d be very wary of relying on the Post Office passport check TBH. When I applied for a replacement passport (I lost the old one) she looked through everything and said all was fine. Fastforward about 6 weeks and got everything posted back “sorry schnor, we can’t accept your application as your counter-signer didn’t sign the back of the photo correctly”.

Ok, fair enough he didn’t, but that’s the whole point of doing the PO check ffs. I went down to the PO and asked for my money back – and to complain – only to be told by the manager “oh no, we don’t actually check the content we just make sure that you’ve included all the relevant things on this checklist”.

Basically you pay them £9 to check you’ve got the form, two photos and I think something else. Don’t do what I did and assume they’ll check your forms are actually filled in correctly. He just didn’t see what my problem was 😐 got my £9 back though the useless ****

bob_summers

My passport renewal has taken months, I’ve given up hope of ever seeing it again. So I’m stuck in a forren country. Drat 😆

m360
    Free Member

So hang on, you’re jetting off on a summer holiday with your newborn, whiles some poor sod is covering your shifts because you’re on paternity leave. And when you get back to work I bet you’ll both want to take you actual holiday entitlement, maybe for a trip to lapland? Or not work Xmas because it’s babies first? Don’t remember the last time I had a holiday…Never got paternity leave in my day…. Grumble,moan,boa,grumble…

stoffel
    Free Member

Ha ha! I love threads like this. 😆 Idiot fails to sort somethng out well in time for a rip, so it’s someone elses’fault!

Passport office and DVLA are scum. I’m anti privatisation but these two should be privatised ASAP. Useless and not fit for purpose.

They gave my wife an appointment for 8.45am the next day, following her call around 5pm, and she had her passport at just after mid-day. In spite of the apparent backlog crisis. **** stars in our bok.

blurty

I’ve used the Passport Office at Victoria for a 4hr turnround in the past. All worked fine, is that not an option?

I sincerely doubt that the staff at the passport office were deliberately trying to cock things up for the OP, cock-ups do however happen (in my world anyway)

BristolPablo
    Free Member

On the bright side, you get to holiday in the UK now which is lovely.

As for the “privatise it all” comments, it would only end up with Serco, Capita or Atos and when one of those showers get their mitts on the passport office, we might as well all holiday in the UK…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘StUPID cake eating IJITS at the Passport Office’ is closed to new replies.