Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stupid BT stupid internet stupid router question
  • Harry_the_Spider

Quick… before it packs up again.

Having intermittent problems with my internet. Do I need to have a BT Homehub if I’m a BT customer, or will any router do?

Phone line have been crackly and the broadband has been in and out for a couple of weeks.

Checking all options before I get whacked with a £130 call out fee. Also, will BT swap out my router as part of the £130? I could ask them directly, but trying to actually talk to somebody is a bit of a ****ing nightmare.

senorj

Not sure , but I had bt internet issues recently , they sent me a new & updated homehub and all was well. Mine was 4 year old…

Harry_the_Spider

Did they charge you for it? Mine is 6 years old.

allthepies
    Free Member

Are you on BT infinity or regular ?

If Infinity then you need either a combined fibre modem / router or a separate fibre modem and a separate router. All that kit can be aftermarket stuff.

If non-infinity then any old ADSL modem/router.

senorj

No charge. We have infinity with the fibre modem shizzle..

allthepies
    Free Member

Your master BT socket in the house, what type is it ?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got%3F

Do you need filters on each phone outlet socket ?

Oh, does the current modem/router plug into the master socket or an extension ?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Just go renew your contact with BT and they’ll send you a new router. McHugh charge you for delivery though.

Harry_the_Spider

Regular broadband, been with them for years though and have about 11 months left on this contract.

McHugh charge you for delivery though.

Eh?

P-Jay
    Free Member

As I understand it Openreach are responsible for your line up to the socket, after that you’re on your own – but most peoples stuff is plugged directly into the socket.

I’d rather spend the £130 on a decent Ubiquiti or Draytek router – they’re not massively hard to set-up with a bit of time.,

bentandbroken

Phone line have been crackly and the broadband has been in and out for a couple of weeks

Unplug everything and plug a basic phone (if you have one) in to the master socket. Some (most) Master sockets have a bit you can unscrew/slide off. If yours does, take that bit off and there is a test socket behind it to plug the phone in to that. If the phone is still crackly raise it as a Fault on the phone line stating it is crackly.

If you don’t have a basic phone try and borrow one or test with more than one phone.

Sorry for poor grammar, typing quickly on a phone and suffering with poor wifi!

bentandbroken

Ps as you have a crackly line and non fibre broadband you probably have a line issue. BT should be able to resolve the noisy line at which point you may find your broadband works again, if not it becomes a broadband fault, but a noisy line is the most likely issue at this stage

mattsccm
    Free Member

Every few years I get this. Phone BT and report a phone issue. “Its a bit crackly” works. They may mention charging for a call out if they can’t find anything but for me its always proved to be a line issue. Moan vociferously if they threaten line issues.
    Agree with the test above.
    Don’t mention BB

Drac

sockets have a bit you can unscrew/slide off. If yours does, take that bit off and there is a test socket behind it to plug the phone in to that. If the phone is still crackly raise it as a Fault on the phone line stating it is crackly.

If you don’t have a basic phone try and borrow one or test with more than one phone.

Do this and if you have issue ring them but tell them about the BB as how else will they know the problem? When I’ve had this they came out the next day, fixed it and no charge.

Harry_the_Spider

Unplugged everything from everything else. Put it all back together. Seems to be working.

project
    Free Member

y0u could be with talk talk, you cant get to speak to an english voice, and they get possibly hacked by a kid with acne in his bedroom, but they did send out new filters, worked for a while and a new router, working ok so far.

Drac

Which Home Hub do you have?

downshep

Basic phone = corded handset, not cordless. For the quiet line test, just take the faceplate off the main phone access point and plug the phone connector into the socket hidden behind the faceplate. Dial 17070 and select option 2. Listen for interference on the line. If it crackles, the line is faulty. If it doesn’t, the BB or extension cables are likely suspects.

Just got my 2nd Home Hub 4 from BT and it sucks almost as much as the first. Now using it as a modem only and getting wifi via a TP Link Archer C7 that actually reaches beyond the room. BT are awful to deal with, spectacular incompetence.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Stupid BT stupid internet stupid router question’ is closed to new replies.