Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Stupid brake pad question
  • dogthomson

Dear STW

With regards to brake pads…

Does ‘resin’ in Shimano parlance mean ‘oraganic’ in Superstar speak?

And if so what’s the equivalent from Uberbike?

Regards,

Confused of South Yorkshire

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yes, and the non sintered options.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hoi. I wasn’t actually at a computer when I wrote the above, hence my post being a little incomplete… having looked through their website I see the confusion! Looks to me like only the Kevlar pads are described as without metal content, but even then I’m not 100% sure.

To be fair though, I think a lot of people have run the “Organic/Resin Only” Shimano Discs with pads that do not meet the description and not suffered a catastrophic failure, so you could just give it a shot. IIRC Kevlar pads are pretty similar to Shimano Organic, so I’d try those. Failing that, you’ll have to find Shimano original resin pads, or change rotors.

EDIT – To put it another way, Race Matrix, Sintered and Semi Metallic are all the “wrong” type.

andyl
    Free Member

As far as I know:

Resin = organic = the softest type and just pure resin material

Kevlar = the resin with kevlar fibres to increase resistance to abrasion and possibly slightly more abrasive to discs. Kevlar is just a polymer though, just stretched out chains, so maybe not.

Semi-metallic = not sure, maybe organic with metal particles again for abrasion resistance and probably more resistant than kevlar and more abrasive to discs.

Sintered = higher metallic content, longest life, most abrasive. Shimano’s last for a very long time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Stupid brake pad question’ is closed to new replies.