• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Stupid bloody cable guide
  • scaled
    Free Member

I was building up the Mrs’ Giant liv Alight last night, everything was going smoothly until I tried to fit the bracket for the Hamax child seat.

I was expecting a bit of a pain in the arse cos it’s a small frame but the thing that’s causing me problems is a stupid bloody cable guide on the seat tube

If it was anywhere else on the entire seat tube it would fit, 5mm lower and it’d be fine, 25 degrees to the rear, again, it’d be fine.

So, what are my options to get rid of the bloody thing? I don’t fancy modifying the Hamax bracket so it doesn’t foul i if can help it, it could be childs face and all that…

edit: That’s not my lawn 😀

D0NK

Can you swivel the brake pipe so it points down? Then ignore the guide and run the brake cable from the stop direct to the pipe, ziptie the cable to the seat stay fit your bike seat – hacksaw off the guide if you need to.

scruff9252

I’d be taking a dremel or hacksaw and taking the guide off if it were me…

ads678

Get rid of the guide and use a one of those seat collars with the guide for dropper post cables, but in reverse.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Remove cable guide. If brake housing is a problem, zip tie it to the bracket you’re trying to fit. From your description, they must both occupy similar space or there wouldn’t be an issue.

otsdr
    Free Member

Remove the cable guide and use a “ziptuide” instead.

Sandwich

edit: That’s not my lawn

They all say that!

Kahurangi

I’d just bypass the guide on the seat tube, cut the cable shorter and have the cable noodle pointing down.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d just get a bike with disc brakes 😀

mtbfix

Buy a kiddy seat that sits on a rack? Copilot Limo or similar.

Olly
    Free Member

go steady with a dremel/hacksaw and zip it off. Muggue has a significant cable rub “dent” (hole) in her MTB frame in the seattube and has had no problems. No worries. That cable routing is gopping anyway, i wouldnt have used it in the first place

[edit]: be SURE you are not being a plonker and missing an obvious simple solution before you start hacking at a brand new bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve fitted literally dozens of those Hamax seats.
    Usually you can just trim the rubber that pads the bracket around the cable guide.
    Just take the cable out of it and zip tie it to the bracket when you’re done.
    Shouldn’t be any need to remove the guide at all.

scaled
    Free Member

[edit]: be SURE you are not being a plonker and missing an obvious simple solution before you start hacking at a brand new bike.

This made me think about this:

If it was anywhere else on the entire seat tube it would fit, 5mm lower and it’d be fine, 25 degrees to the rear, again, it’d be fine.

So i took the top 5mm and 25 degrees off the cable guide, it’s completely covered by the bracket so i’ll have to cable tie it off, once i get some that are the right colour 😀

Sam

I would say Donk’s suggestion is best, will also make for a shorter and straighter cable run which could give the rear brake half a chance of working.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Stupid bloody cable guide’ is closed to new replies.