Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stupid bike choice dilemma!!
  • swindonjay
    Free Member

Hi guys im looking at getting a new bike built up but im unsure of what to do.

I will be do places like cwmcarn, afan, fod etc.. and local bridleways. But also i want something that if i get a chance to visit france or similar it will be fine.

The next problem i have is the type of bike i like are slack freeride/enduro looking things. I mean i wont have alot of cash to splash out so will be looking at older bikes to buy/build but it needs to look nice/aggressive but also allow the extremely unfit 220lbs of me to pedal about and enjoy.

Alot to ask i know but surely people have had similar thoughts before.

So far i have been looking as sx trails, vp free’s, hanzz, and a few other bikes.
    All of which i would change to air shocks to help the weight…

kimbers

my kona process 153 handles all that happily and is impressively stiff and tough (apart from the sram rear mech)

swindonjay
    Free Member

cheers kimbers. i was looking at that earlier on chainreaction. looks a nice bike for 50% off

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    I_Ache
    Free Member

I swapped an enduro evo frame for a carbon stumpjumper frame. It has a tough “enduro” build including 160mm Lyriks.

I have more fun on it and find it easier to climb on. Apparently I am faster all round on it compared to my enduro evo.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Maybe the older style Meta AM’s? Complete bikes with nice spec are going pretty cheap. Heavy lumps but ride very nicely once you sort the shock pressures.

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12501776

jimjam
    Free Member

swindon jay
    So far i have been looking as sx trails, vp free’s, hanzz, and a few other bikes.
    All of which i would change to air shocks to help the weight…

You can do what you want to them, they’ll still pedal like shit. So they’ll still be a bitch to take anywhere that involves climbing. I spent three fortunes getting an SX trail down to 31 lbs. All I did was make a trail bike that handled horribly. So I scrapped that idea and turned it into a DH bike which made sense.

The 120mm Ghost AMR which replaced it was genuinely quicker on 90% of stuff, the exception being really rough, technical dh tracks.

Someone else has mentioned a Stumpjumper, I’d second that. Stumpjumper EVO or a later Enduro. Anything more than 160mm and you’re kidding yourself.

dan45a
    Free Member

As mentioned the latest generation Enduro can climb and descent extremly well, which ever wheel size you choose.

Sx trail is too much bike. I loved mine but the game has moved on.

This looks good for the money also, but not sure if over budget…
    http://www.globalbike.co.uk/nukeproof-mega-am-275-comp-2014.html?gclid=CM7gp6i08sICFQEGwwod-QkAmQ

Xylene
    Free Member

2002 enduro s works

jamesfts
    Free Member

Specialized Pitch would be worth a look, think of an Enduro on a budget.

Very capable bikes, should be able to pick one up cheap enough to throw some upgrades at it too (forks, dropper post and wheels would be a good starting point if standard spec)

swindonjay
    Free Member

cheers for the inputs guys, much appreciated.

the specialized pitch was defo a bike i was considering. and being pretty good value now, plenty of scope to upgrade as needed.

vincienup
    Free Member

The spicy in the sale section would be awesome for this. I’ve had an 08 spicy and now on an 11 zesty. Very capable and climb like they have no right to. Stick a new reverb and set of bars on that guys’ bike and you’re sorted.

rickon
    Free Member

How much are you looking to spend? That’ll give us an idea of where to point you.

My first port of call would be to look at the Canyon Spectral. Absolutely steal of the bike, ideal for your use, and amazing kit. However, I don’t know how much you want to stump up.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for a small Stumpjumper evo frame forever.

I can’t find one anywhere.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Good all rounder is a Trek EX8 the one with 130mm.The problem is with bigger travel bikes they are pointless on certain terrain yes you can ride them but its a lot effort for nothing.Why take a Remedy on the Ridgeway!!! etc.If its your only bike then you have no choice.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

vp free’s

Dear god those are ancient and heavy, with high BBs. Don’t get one, my brother used to ride one like…a decade ago?

Get a 2010/2011 Nukeproof Mega frame….probably 200-350 quid now. 150mm of travel, 66 degree head angle, low BB, decent amount of reach etc – not as heavy as a VP Free.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nukeproof-Mega-AM-/301457015848?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item46303d0428

Full build – 1095. I’d normally think that was a bit steep the CCDB is a really good shock – you might find a full bike or a frame for a fair chunk less if it comes with the standard air shock.

honourablegeorge
    MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers mate but I’m after a 26″ model

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stupid bike choice dilemma!!’ is closed to new replies.