Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stupid 12mm axle question
  • tony07
    Free Member

Got myself an orange five with 142×12 rear axle. Now with the maples and that I know there’s adjustment, so screw it in til it’s home, set tension of lever and close.

Now with this unbranded lever it doesn’t seem to have any means to adjust tension, so I can’t close it when it’s fully home. Is it a case of backing it off half a turn or so until the lever can comfortably close, or is there something I’m missing?

Thanks

tony07
    Free Member

Anyone?

otsdr
    Free Member

I think it’s the same procedure as with the front one?

[video]https://youtu.be/gE5cU0xUKWM?t=41[/video]

tony07
    Free Member

Cheers for that but that doesn’t seem to change the tension. I’ll get pics uploaded of the lever when I get on the pc

otsdr
    Free Member

On the Maxle Ultimate there is no tension adjustment, you are supposed to wind it in just enough to get the lever to close forcefully, much like a normal QR.
    Note how far off “home” the lever ends up and adjust its position as described in the video.

tony07
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking. So it doesn’t needa be screwed fully home then? Sounds more like it.

tony07
    Free Member

There should be a couple of pics of the axle here. http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/13597696/
    No branding on it at all

ratherbeintobago

Does it have a hex bolt under the lever right in the middle? If memory serves this is how you adjust the tension on older Maxles.

otsdr
    Free Member

Ok, that’s not a Rockshox axle; doesn’t seem to be adjustable in any way, rivets all around as far as I can tell. Also, I don’t understand how it works: on the old Maxle, the cam was expanding the axle to prevent it from getting undone; on the new one, the cam actually tightens the dropout in place. Is the bit under the lever moving independently of the axle?

The frame was supposed to have the original Maxle:

tony07
    Free Member

Ye, the bit under the lever is independent of it. Moves freely. All riveted so no bolt down the middle to adjust. I’ll email orange today and see what the story is. Thanks

woody2000

Bump – I have a Five with the same no-name “maxle” and it doesn’t seem to close securely either so interested in the outcome 🙂

benpinnick

Does the handle have ‘play’ in it? Ive seen a few non branded ones that have around 120 degrees of rotation so that once you’ve done it up tight you can back the lever back around to the desired angle. Ive also noticed some unbranded ones are out of spec and need a washer on the handle side to ensure a proper fit. Its fair to say I have never found one I actually like.

woody2000

On mine, once it’s tight, you can put the lever parallel with the axle and rotate it to the desired locking position. Once locked, mine opens with the lightest of touches so not exactly confidence inspiring!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stupid 12mm axle question’ is closed to new replies.