• This topic has 56 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Stunning Steel – where art thou?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m stuck in a new frame feedback loop. I’ve found my ‘step up’ to a 45650b c/w 140mm up front has taken some getting used to. I like the stability downhill, I hate the lack of planted front end on climbs. I also both love/hate the general stiffness. Feels super responsive yet sometimes a bit jarring.

So i’m thinking about either going custom steel, or a ‘cheaper’ tried and tested Soul 275, and possibly reducing the travel on my Rev to 120/130mm.

Top of my current list is a Curtis AM7, with perhaps a little bit of gnar shaved off the slackness..

Im a big fan of steel – but every now and then I come across a comment to check out a different builder that i’ve not seen before and am suddenly treated with a whole new bunch of frames to consider and drool over.

Please give me your recommendations for the most stunningest steeliest frames (hopefully that would meet my mincer brief, and in 275 flavour) so that I can compile a comprehensive ‘go to’ list..

johnhe

Sorry – I don’t have a recommendation (although if I was buying a new frame and looking for compliant, then the Soul would be at the top of my list). I have a BFe and the front does wander – I’m running a 150mm fork and a 40mm stem. This doesn’t both me at all. If I was bothered, I’d go for a travel adjustable fork so that I could drop the front end to 120mm.

shermer75
    Free Member

Everybody loves a Stanton, right? Maybe the Sherpa is the one for you 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

I like the Sherpa, but I plan to run plain ‘ol 650b, not + or 29″

opusone
    Free Member

Pace RC127 – apparently singletrack are doing a review for their next issue. 2.3 grand for the full build or 500 frame only.

Timberwolf? – so beautiful… not sure if they’re available yet.

I’ve been looking around for the same thing – steely hardtail- I ended up going with a ragley blue pig because a) I found one cheap and b) I needed (wanted…) one quickly after I terminally broke my old bike. I’d have preferred 27.5 as well but beggars can’t be choosers.

deejayen
    Free Member

For a nice steel frame I’d be looking for quality tubes (I’m a sucker for thin & whippy) and fillet brazing. I’d also prefer an integrated seat clamp. There must be a few good builders – the recently reviewed Swarf Cycles’ frame looked nice.

everyone
    Free Member

I can confirm that Ritchey make amazing bikes

This is probably a little racy for your needs though!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Not sure if its of any help but I’ve had a mk2 (I think) Soul and it was good. Not mind blowingly good but just good. I’ve currently got a Curtis S1 and all those things that steel frames are meant to be – it ticks all those boxes. Its lovely – so much so I was trying to flog it but I’ve decided to keep it now, maybe 1×10 it but definitely fit some meatier wheels and rubber to it. If the AM7 is a little to gnar then I’m sure Gary would/does a less gnar version.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yeah this is more like it.

I saw one of them there Ritchey frames in the flesh a couple weeks ago at Brighton Big Dog, looked really sweet. Potentially a wee bit skinny tubed fo my fat ass.

I’ve owned (and thoroughly enjoyed) a Mk2 and Mk3 Soul hence my swaying towards a Soul 275.
    A custom AM7 (A Mincer 7?) gives me a thrill just thinking about it though..

Been ogling the Privee Oka – looks good but very little detail on build/tubing etc. Not mad on paint jobs either

Keep em coming

MrGreedy

Can’t comment on any alternatives other than the Soul (they’re great), but I will say that an adjustable fork really works well with this kind of bike. I run my Revelations from 110-140 as appropriate and really appreciate the flexibility to adjust them on the fly.

slimjim78
    Free Member

My Revs are new so a travel change requires and air spring swap unfortunately

AlexSimon

Pace RC127 – apparently singletrack are doing a review for their next issue. 2.3 grand for the full build or 500 frame only.

The review is in #100 which is already with subscribers.
    I haven’t read it yet 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

Can’t put my finger on exactly why, but the Pace doesn’t float my stoat.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Groovy cycles in the states for me if I had the $$$
    Hmm maybe not this one

Maybe not either

This one looks quite cool

MussEd
    Free Member

Shand bahookie? though you may need custom options for 27.5?

TomB

Chromags keep drawing me in, I’m sure they’d do something suitable….

thegreatape
    Free Member

Curtis do the XC frames as well as the AM, so it’s inconceivable that they couldn’t build you something along the lines of what you’re after.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Curtis without a doubt but get saving.

johnhe

Chromag are pretty droolsome. I particulary love the brightly coloured one ridden by Jinya Nishiwaki.

r1chardh
    Free Member

Field in Sheffield are worth looking up. They have done a couple of mountain bike frames, and they are lovely.

otsdr
    Free Member

The new Marin Pine Mountain looks very good in my opinion: http://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/description/2016-pine-mountain-2
    l.e. cart wheels, nvm…

You could also take a look at Rob English’s bikes: http://www.englishcycles.com/cat/custombikes/mountainbikes/

qwerty
    Free Member

Not sure on the answer, but it’s probably worthy of debate, but a zingy steel frame in new skool flavour of 30.9 ST, 44 HT, bolt through rear etc doesn’t so much smell of zingy. I went from a pre CEN Cove HJ to an aluminium 120 HT and tbh it’s only a few hairs between them in terms of trail zing. All horses for courses though. I’d love a 120 travel long low slack custom HT. Just to confuse you, look at the 2016 Orange Clockwork 120 for gnar-.

IA

For drooling over steel, fetch a bucket & mop then browse the Saffron site…

http://www.saffronframeworks.com/builds/

Seen some of them in the flesh, gorgeous. Stunning details on them.

P20

I had a steel 456, the handling was good fun but it was harsh. The C456 sorted the harshness but felt a bit dead/uninspiring. My soul is brilliant. Good balance between stiffness for handling and ride quality. Fabulous bike.
    (All 26″)

pickle
    Free Member

what about CURTIS bikes? all handmade in the good old UK

6079smithw
    Free Member

New Orange P7?
    Seven Sola in steel?
    Pipedream Mucchu
    Sanderson do a 650b frame

Edric64
    Free Member

The last Curtis I picked up was heavier than pig iron

qwerty
    Free Member

TJD

AlexSimon

Swarf

slimjim78
    Free Member

Loving that Ritchey Timberline.

I’m too precious to live with the knobby front mech cable stops running down the frame though.. they would be completely redundant. Well, in as much as for £975 frame only, i’d want as close to perfection as I bloody choose.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

NS Bikes Eccentric Cromo.

Noticed CRC bumped the price up by £100 on the first batch when they sold well.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yes, today’s research has bumped the Eccentric up to at least joint 1st place on my list. Pound for pound I think it possibly ticks most boxes

nedrapier

Those Saffron bikes are lovely. The road bikes look mainly like road bikes (philistine, I know) but Joey Burt’s and Mike Hall’s are great. Beautiful and interesting.

MussEd
    Free Member

Not sure of the budget but check out 44 Bikes in the U.S. Stunning.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

what about CURTIS bikes? all handmade in the good old UK

Keep up at the back.

Stiggy

😆

vondally
    Free Member

I have a ritchey and I have several compressed discs in my neck and lower back and it is a revelation in terms of comfort did several 60 milers on it before I rotated a disc lifting something….it climbs well descends quickly but it is so balanced I am 95 kgs and it has coped with my lack of skill. Built in different guises rigid, 100mm forks but currently in the shed with 120mm and a dropper…alas not ridden

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m surprised no-ones mentioned Curtis frames yet

benji
    Free Member

Can’t put my finger on exactly why, but the Pace doesn’t float my stoat.

I test rode one of their demo fleet today, just to see what I thought, and I loved it, in fact loved it so much I’ve come away with a frame to build up, it was a complete revelation, long travel front with a short back end was just sublime.

Rik
    Free Member

Swallow Cycles should be on here for their steel brazed full suspension

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Stunning Steel – where art thou?’ is closed to new replies.