Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stumpjumper down tube cables and bike carrier query!
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all.

Ive just bought a thulw 591 from suggsey on here to put my bike on the roof instead of in the car.

However on trial fitting it today the clamp is fitting over the down tube cables on the frame.

Will this be an issue or will it be fine, Ive heard all the horror stories of bikes coming off if not clamped up correctly !!

I did it up as tight as I thought correct and there was still a bit of wobble ?

Any hints and tips for making sure the bike is secured correctly to the mount.

cheers

Steve

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

The cables on my Carrera Fury run on the underside of the downtube. I’ve got the Thule 591 and never had a problem with the bike falling off. I normally drive Lowestoft to Bury St Edmunds – about 1.5hrs. I did once find the bike was quite lose, however, this could have been me no tightening the clamp properly at the start.

Once the bike’s clamped in give the bike a good shake and then re-tighten the clamp. Then lock it to be on the safe side. The lock takes seconds to break with a small screwdriver so don’t leave the bikes on the roof though!!
    Don’t forget to wipe any mud off before you clamp up (baby wipes are good here), otherwise you’ll wreck the paint in a few miles.

renton
    Free Member

cheers for that !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bgd
    Free Member

Had the same concern before Christmas when I bought a 591 to take my Camber to Wales. I put a piece of inner tube between the frame and the cables / hose for a bit of cushioning and found they sit in the ‘v’ of the clamp nicely. Did the clamp up nice and tight and had absolutely no problems after 4 hours up the M5 and M4. Hope that helps.

renton
    Free Member

spot on that bgd !!

like the idea of using a bit of inner tube !!

stumpy01

I’ve got some Atera racks which are similar but not the same.

After 30 minutes in the peeing down rain trying to secure a bike to one of the racks when the lock wouldn’t engage I bought a bungee cord for each rack. Now as a matter of course I wrap the bungee cord around the clamp once it’s locked.
    Ensures that it can’t come loose, holds it nice & tight and adds peace of mind. For a few quid.

tc3nitro
    Free Member

I use exactly the same bike with 591 racks and have covered many thousands of miles with no problems. I always lock my carriers just to be sure.

The inner tube trick is something I have used, I have actually attached a bit of tube to both sides of the jaws with a dab of polyurethane bonding.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper down tube cables and bike carrier query!’ is closed to new replies.