Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Stumpjumper. Any reason not to!?
  • mccraque

I keep getting the urge to replace my old zesty, with its skinny 26″ antique wheels.

But then… the realisation that I’m riding my plus size Ht for most local rides now. The FS only gets pulled out for wales, Surrey Hills (and I can do that quite easily
    On the Ht too!)

I’ve had my eye on a stumpjumper… in 29 format as a potential replacement. My thinking being that it seems fairly capable but also relatively efficient on more xc type rides (for a bike of that nature). I’d use it for a mixture of everything. South
    Downs, Surrey Hills, wales (coed y brenin, afan, bpw). I don’t mind a foot or two of air, but nothing too sendy. I’m in my 40s and scare too easily these days.

Am I just wasting money? Any real world experiences? Am considering the carbon comp model. Or shall I squeeze another year or two from the zesty (which is still in good shape)

Cheers!

northerntom
    Free Member

If there is nothing wrong with the zesty, then no need to actually replace, but it sounds like if you’re not riding, you have lost interest in it and will continue to not ride it.

if you get the stumpy, you may find that replacing the hardtail for most rides. It’s amazing how much new rides have come on recently, and the stumpy is a very good bike…

SirHC

Would add Trek Fuel EX to that list as well. Been quite a few reviews around comparing bikes of similar type.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrismac

Both are great bikes, I have the stumpy and love it, my wife has a 26er zesty. She occasionally thinks about changing it but then realises its light (hers is carbon), fits, and has quite a slack head angle (66deg) so then decides there is no point.

mccraque

The Fuel has caught my eye, as it happens!!

I guess what I am unsure about though, as @northerntom says…. is the reason for wanting a new bike because I am bored of the zesty (which I still love when I ride it…just pull it out of the shed less often these days – once I am on it I realise that I do like it a lot!). It is 8 years old though. and I like bigger hoops, would like a dropper post etc etc. When you start to look at upgrading anything on it, I keep wondering whether just to draw a line under it and move on altogether.

Also like the look of the Jeffsy….but it felt a little weird when I slung a leg over one (albeit for one loop of a carpark)

br
    Free Member

I’ve had my eye on a stumpjumper… in 29 format as a potential replacement. My thinking being that it seems fairly capable but also relatively efficient on more xc type rides (for a bike of that nature). I’d use it for a mixture of everything. South
    Downs, Surrey Hills, wales (coed y brenin, afan, bpw). I don’t mind a foot or two of air, but nothing too sendy. I’m in my 40s and scare too easily these days.[/I]

Or a Camber 29, lighter and just as capable.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Beat me to it. I was gonna suggest a Camber too. But I’m biased.

mccraque

I do like the Camber, but being a bit of a lump, I think the Stumpy would be better suited.

funkrodent

From the sounds of the riding you want to do the Camber sounds like a better fit. You risk being over biked on a Stumpy and it won’t pedal as well as the Camber. Wouldn’t worry too much about the lump factor, I’m 6’3″ & 17 stone and I’d take the Camber happily. I should point out that I’ve not ridden either so am in no way qualified, but I do have views about the race to more travel when it’s not needed..

renton
    Free Member

I’ve had a few Stumpjumpers over the years and I’ve loved all of them.

However for some reason i just couldn’t get on with my 29er Evo.

Up to 2015 models they seemed quite short in reach and top tube length compared to other bikes.

davosaurusrex

When the SJ evos came out in 2012/13 they were some of the longest bikes around. Have to say though that after riding a G13 Geometron the Stumpy now feels a bit short, steep and upright.

I’m torn between an alloy Fuel Ex or a Banshee Prime. Leaning towards the Prime as the headtube on the Fuel is so short

Tracey

We have both in 29er versions. Both are very capable bikes. The Camber is Abigales do it all bike at Uni. It has 140mm Pikes fitted. It gets used for all day epics in the Peak to throwing down the DHs at Wharncliffe. I thing she is doing the cross country Uni race in Greno woods this week on it. The Stumpjumper mainly gets used by Kevin all over the UK and last year in Valburg and Finale. Out of all the bikes in the garage this is his favourite.

Have a look and see if Specialized have got any demo days and try them both

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m well into my fifth decade, my Stumpy 29er is all the bike I ever wanted. It’s an absolute hoot on the descents (far, far better than the Marin Wolf Ridge with 160mm Marzocchis that went before it) and will get air if provoked. It’ll cope with long distances and short blasts quite happily.

I do have a 140mm Norco Sight Carbon as a stablemate, which is a fine bike but the Stumpy edges it.

iainc

good test ride reports of the Camber and Fuel in recent copy of the mag. They also tested the new Anthem, which came out top of the 3.

oikeith

I have the 2016 SJ 29er and it is a hoot of a bike, for XC rides and trail centres its excellent, the 29 roll over is great and the bike handles everything quite well. Even my friends on new 650b bikes comment on the SJ rolling away from them without pedalling!

I did find the stock stem too long and swapped from an 80mm to a 60mm and it made it handle descents better I thought.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I have the ’16 Stumpy Expert 6fattie, absolute hoot at the local trail centres off piste stuff. It’s a lot of bike for general blues/reds, but climbs exceptionally well and still has me smiling. Bike park wales and Afan soon, should be awesome!

Don’t discount the 650b+, the outside diameter is almost that of the 29er, and the tyres roll well/don’t seem to get hung up on anything.

mccraque

I rode last years 650+ version at fort william and enjoyed it.

Was actually considering the 29 and then perhaps swapping the wheels with my plus HT from time to time.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I may get a 29er wheelset for it at some point, there are frame/fork/component differences (that I can’t remember) between the 650b+ and the 29er version, I was recommended to get the 650b+ version and a 29er wheelset rather than the other way around.

What I will say, I was riding in some quite sloppy conditions over the weekend and currently don’t feel the need for the 29er wheelset.

matt007
    Free Member

ive got a ’16 stumpy fsr 29er, its ace. Sold my 165mm ‘enduro’ bike as it was making my normal trial less fun for me, and got the stumpy. Its the second 29er stumpy ive had (last one was a non-evo ’12) and I find it the best all round bike ive had.

Currently got it built up with a bias towards the descents, lyric RCT3’s, maxxis 2.5/2.3 DHF’s and even with a cane creek DB coil on the rear now thanks to bike-yokes adapter.

dahedd
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2007 26″ Stumpie & a 2015 29er Love them both, always ride the 29er now though, the Mrs uses the 26″.

Another to add to the list might be the Stumpjumper 6 Fattie (650b+), a mate has one and its amazing.

mccraque

I was recommended to get the 650b+ version and a 29er wheelset rather than the other way around.

As far as I can see the Fork is exactly the same. Is there something in the back end that would warrant doing it this way around?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Definitely worth checking, but it may have been that the swingarm on the 29er wasn’t boost, it was 142. It probably varies between the ‘levels’ as well, comp, expert etc.

(Edit, different fork as well depending on the price point/level)

Tracey

When I looked at the 2016 650b fattie, carbon expert, I thought it had boost front and rear.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I have a 2016 650b Stumpjumper, it’s glorious.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Tracey, it does have boost both ends, I have the expert 6fatty. I’m just not sure the 29er flavour does.

warns74
    Free Member

16 Stumpy 29 here also, which replaced the previous generation 29er. Shorter chainstays and slacker head angle are noticeable over previous generation, definitely have more fun on the newer one.

Fantastic all-rounder, from xc bimbles to trail centres, bike parks to the Alps and Spain. Just does everything well enough for most.

Tracey

Our 29er doesn’t have boost, think the 2017 is boost, Im picking a 650b frame up tomorrow to replace my 26″ one.

happybiker
    Free Member

I have a 2016 carbon 29er with 150mm Pikes, it’s awesome! 2016 Fatties were Boost, 29ers weren’t (which is why I bought a 2016 frame). All the 2017 models are Boost.

mccraque

So it’s now a straight shoot out between a stumpy expert carbon (my lbs will discount one by £800 on rrp)

Or a yt jeffsy

Even with discount on the stumpy the jeffsy is hard to ignore. Just the non boost front end and inability to run a second set of fat wheels goes against it.

Anyone?

devash
    Free Member

I’d go with the Stumpjumper, simply because you’ll potentially save yourself some hassle when the YT inevitably needs posting back to Germany under warranty.

mccraque

Is this a common scenario?

orangeorange
    Free Member

I have an 2016 Enduro in 650b form,the first Spesh that I”ve owned and its not proving to be very durable.It`s in the Shop now having all suspension bearings renewed,rear wheel bearings too,rear cassette and front chainring,headset bearings and the dropper leaks air too.
    Are they known for this or have I just been unlucky ?

alanm
    Free Member

Is this a common scenario?

No I have 2 Jeffsy’s and 1 Capra in the house no problems with any Capra is the Alu and have Alu and Carbon Jeffsy’s

fadgadget
    Free Member

Who doesn’t love a Stumpy?. I have a tarted up 2015 29er one and love it. A bit porky but very reliable and capable and IMO rides better than the newer ones (Looks better too) The only downside is you need three sizes of bearing tools to remove All the pivot bearings and the cable routing underneath needs careful protection placement on the chainstays. Choose the wrong rear brake pads and it can howl like Lon Channey Junior (Something to do with the rear triangle)

johnw1984
    Free Member

Had a 2016 Alu Comp as my first full suspension. I sold it far too soon and bought a Bird Aeris. Always felt a bit “over biked” in a lot of my riding.

Just sold on the Aeris and bought another 2016 Stumpy frame to build up (carbon one this time!).

Went off the hard tail idea pretty quickly!

Tracey

My 650b build is now well on the way, frame came from the sales and most of the other stuff from the spares at the back of the garage. Forks came of my Enduro which now has Lyriks.
    Bottom bracket and cranks fitted, just the chain and rear brake to sort. May take the decals off the wheels

slackman99
    Free Member

There’s a lovely Stumpjumper in the classifieds……Ahem 🙂

muggomagic

I was torn between the same 2 bikes as you. I ended up going for the stumpjumper because I could test ride it and buy it locally. I’m pretty unlucky when it comes to big purchases so being able to take it to the shop and get any issues sorted was a massive plus as well as the SWAT box (I haven’t ridden with a backpack since I’ve had it) and was what swayed it in the end.
    I’ve now had the Stumpjumper since last June and I just can’t imagine how the Jeffsy could be better (I’m sure it’s a great bike BTW). The SJ is such a great all rounder. I rode for 6 hours Sunday. Started off with some South Downs riding, then headed into Stanmer and blasted round the Singletrack for a couple of hours before riding home along the seafront. It does it all so well. I’ve also got 2 sets of wheels, a pair of 650b+ and 29er and it’s great being able to swap between the 2.

mccraque

@muggomagic – thanks… that’s great to hear as the South Downs and stanmer are my local haunts, with a trip to the Surrey Hills every so often and an annual Welsh pilgrimage. How efficient is it at long pedally days and climbs? (I’m assuming it’s good when pointed down)

It seems more versatile than the jeffsy in that you have the dual wheel option – but I’m just sweating at dropping quite so much money on a bike when I already have a couple in the stable….

johnw1984
    Free Member

Tracey, I was eyeing up that same frame on Evans.

Ended up getting a second hand red and black carbon for a good price. Just waiting on a few bits to get it built up.

The Gisburn PMBA on that hard tail nearly finished me off!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper. Any reason not to!?’ is closed to new replies.