Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Stumpjumper £300 price increase
  • zer0cool
    Free Member

Around summer Im looking to get a new bike, one of which Ive been toying with is a Stumpjumper, just the base 650b version. Since last looking about a week ago it has gone up from £2200 to £2500 nearly everywhere. Anyone know why, is this what Brexit is doing to us?

simondbarnes

Anyone know why

The £ is worth rather less vs the $ than it was last summer. Simples.

wiggles
    Free Member

Nearly all brands have gone up in the last year, think whyte have upped their prices twice now? So you basically get the next model down for the same money as the higher one a few months back.

Specialized held off the price increase about as long as anyone I think, but yes it is all to do with brexit essentially, $$$ are more £££

ajantom

Brexit means Brexit – and higher prices for all!

RustySpanner

I think Spesh have put up prices in the States as well.

Klunk
    Free Member

I did the math of buying a new Stumpjumper it worked out at 5% per year inflation since I bought the wifes in 2007. (the inbetween years worked out pretty much the same btw)

kimbers

orangeboy
    Free Member

Spesh prices went up on a Thursday a few weeks ago.
    If you find a shop that already had the bike you want in stock before th price rise and ask nicely you might be able to get it at the old price.
    Probably best with a non chain shop

shandcycles
    Free Member

£300?? pfffttt, we just put the price on one of ours up by £670! And I’d also like to just remind everyone that Brexit hasn’t even happened yet.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

But the 20% devaluation has …

scaredypants

It’s a price worth paying for making Britain* GRRREAT again, surely

*I say Britain; obvz that’s Engerlaynd, while Shandy up there has had his prices index-linked to the cost of a pint of buckfast and irnbru

mickmcd
    Free Member

im more surprised shand has been selling stumpys

on another note im flogging one

scotroutes

Our hire fleet will be Specializeds this year. We’ve been Trek for a while but they’d already put the prices up before we came to order last October/November. Specialized were just later than the rest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not all bad, Australian travel agents were advertising that you could take advantage of the Pound Crash and have a better holiday exploiting the Brits for a change.
    Awaits next thread on cost of holidays

scotroutes

Yeah – we’re thinking that we’ll likely see a further increase in the number of US tourists this year. Thing is, it’s only a short term benefit for them. When goods and services in this country have to increase in price (e.g. our bike hire prices increase to take account of additional initial cost due to the falling £) then any gain for them will be wiped out.

oldnpastit

I think I picked the right year to go on holiday to Scotland this summer.

Unless it rains continually of course. But that would never happen.

br
    Free Member

Went to buy a new Maxxis tyre on Friday, £70!

Bought an E13 instead.

scotroutes

I think summer is a Tuesday this year – just not sure which one.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

At this rate, Oranges should be reasonably priced in a couple of years.

scotroutes

Where do all the components come from?

mactheknife

mauja
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a few of the recent prices rises on Specialized products, seems to be around 10% on lots of their products rrp.

I guess understandable reasons behind the price increases but £310 to replace my s-works road shoes is proving hard to justify to myself. Will be interesting to see if on the whole people just suck up the prices or they stop buying as much stuff and the affect that then has on the smaller independent retailers, some of whom already seem to be struggling.

cookeaa

I am wondering what is going to improve with brexit and when?

Bike price escalations seem to be the least of it…

badnewz
    Free Member

The high pound was holding the British economy back. It was helping to build a speculative bubble in the property market, especially in London. It was destroying our manufacturing and exporting competitiveness, whilst rewarding the parasitic financial sector.
    Sorry if you have to pay a bit more for your mountain bike, but in the long-run a currency devaluation is just what the country needed.
    More about this here.

kimbers

The high pound was holding the British economy back. It was helping to build a speculative bubble in the property market, especially in London. It was destroying our manufacturing and exporting competitiveness, whilst rewarding the parasitic financial sector.
    Sorry if you have to pay a bit more for your mountain bike, food, clothing, fuel, luxury goods but in the long-run a currency devaluation is just what the country needed. instead of legislating to reign in the property market or tighten financial regulations, instead we will weaken our country and take us out of Europe and make sure that the poorest pay , while the richest Ftse shareholders see their portfolios swell massively

More about this here.
    you will not find this info in the Brexit Bugle

Ftfy

badnewz
    Free Member

@kimbers,
    I’m going to have nightmares of my first primary school teacher, Mrs Kent, now, who used to spit over the kids whilst correcting their work with her trusty thick-red pen!
    Ashoka Mody is not politically affiliated and his articles mainly appear in the Independent.

kimbers

See me after class

badnewz
    Free Member

Gosh, oh golly, crumbs, I’m done for, Sir looks jolly batey.

njee20
    Free Member

The high pound was holding the British economy back. It was helping to build a speculative bubble in the property market, especially in London.

Thank god now the pound has tanked that the value of property has dropped 40%, especially in London, such that it’s now totally affordable. Furthermore, foreign investors have been totally put off buying property.

zer0cool
    Free Member

Well I dont know anything about politics but I do know the hike has pushed the Stumpy to the back of the queue unless the end of year sale (bike year) brings it back down.
    Perhaps it does make the second hand market more appealling, until that catches up.

tomhoward

Best of luck in the sales. Spesh U.K. Are sold out of a lot of models already (only reason I don’t have an sworks camber 😥 ). Of those that were in stock, lots were bought up by shops pre Feb 16th price rise, so if you see one you want in stock at the lower price, bite their arm off. Model year changes in July.

badnewz
    Free Member

Thank god now the pound has tanked that the value of property has dropped 40%, especially in London, such that it’s now totally affordable. Furthermore, foreign investors have been totally put off buying property.

Prices are falling in central London, for the first time in six years. Foreign investors will still buy but capital controls in China, and the stumbling Russian economy, mean the situation is changing.

40% falls over the next four years are entirely possible, which will be good for first time buyers, especially as they will be able to move into the flats which were manically put up at the end of the bubble.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Entirely off topic, but relevant. I work for a US company….I bet my salary is not going to increase 20% this year. In theory, it s much cheaper for them to pay UK staff now!

oikeith

I was looking at the 2017 Enduro Elite 2017 during Jan, when the local shop told me it was going up by £500 I wasn’t sure if it was a sales ploy or not! I actually rang another shop after leaving to confirm!

For the OP, next years stumpjumper will be released in August time so waiting till September or October you might be able to get the 2017 for less…maybe…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps it does make the second hand market more appealling, until that catches up.

Like cars the used market relies on new purchases, if anything it will possibly push people to go another 6-12 months on a bike. Plenty of people are probably watching their cash too. Lack of supply, need more for the new bike so optimistic listing and stick with it

bencooper
    Free Member

It was destroying our manufacturing and exporting competitiveness

Hello, manufacturer and exporter here. Yes, there’s perhaps a small bump to export sales, but much UK manufacturing is higher-end goods where price is less of an incentive to purchase. I don’t think I’ve got any more overseas sales from the fall in Sterling, at most a few customers have perhaps ordered a slightly more expensive version of what they’d be ordering anyway.

However, lots of the component parts and materials I use are imported, and costs of them have gone up – Rohloff hubs, Shimano parts, even steel tubing. So prices have to go up for everyone, and it’s worse especially for customers in the UK.

And, as Mr Shand up there says, Brexit hasn’t even happened yet. At the moment we’re only dealing with the fall in Sterling – once you add in the cluster**** that falling back on WTO rules will cause, with tariffs, varying standards etc it’s going to be even worse.

kimbers

40% falls over the next four years are entirely possible,

Not unless we build many many more houses than we plan to, overhaul our policies on council house oenership, funding for local councils, infrastructure spending and update the the laws on land oenership, speculators, private renters, developers etc etc overvalued pound and foreign property speculators might be a factor in central London but there are many more important factors that contribute to our housing crisis

Well worth checking out
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00k9c1r

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ben, step away from SNP/WoS BS.

We are not currently seeking the WTO option.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s nice. We’re going for a hard Brexit, and floating the idea of not paying the EU what we owe them. Do you really think we’ll get any kind of trade deal with the EU in two years, while negotiating our exit at the same time? It’s not going to happen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like every morning after the night before story…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper £300 price increase’ is closed to new replies.