Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stumbled across a photo I had to share – Korean fire escape
  • simonm
    Free Member

I may have posted this before, but I stumbled across it today and it made me laugh, appologies if previously posted but worth sharing again.

From a trip to Korea last year, this was my fire escape from 10th floor hotel room… can you just imagine the length of the risk assessment and trainig you’d have to undergo in England ?

GrahamS

can you just imagine the length of the risk assessment and trainig you’d have to undergo in England ?

Yes, but something tells me the number of fire fatalities in Korea may be slightly higher than in England.

Is that rope supposed to be fireproof?

TheFlyingOx

That looks like it could be similar to the good old “Donut” system used offshore. Training simply involves sitting through the *worst* infomercial/edutainment cack ever concieved, which has been transfered from VHS to DVD by someone pointing a DVD camcorder at a tv playing the original VHS, whilst trying not to claw your own eyes out at the sheer no-budget crapness of it all.

So you’ll be fine in a Korean hotel fire.

Flaperon

Not sure whether it uses inertial reels but I discovered that while two people on one reel is fine, one person holding two reels drops at twice the rate…

Trimix
    Free Member

May not pass H&S here in the UK, but if my Korean hotel is on fire, Id use it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This is an Imperial Airways Handley Page at Croydon Airport circa 1936

Have a look at the interior and note the “ripping panel” in the roof for escape access.

GrahamS

Love the seats. Is that Business Class?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think business class looked a little more like this :

In those days people had a greater understanding of their place in life.

Drac

May not pass H&S here in the UK, but if my Korean hotel is on fire, Id use it.

Well if the choice was to burn to death or possibly some how pulling abseiling skills to get down a building I think I’d try the abseiling too. Luckily in the UK we have H&S laws that mean we have proper fire escapes.

BoardinBob

Have a look at the interior and note the “ripping panel” in the roof for escape access.

Still infinitely better than Ryanair’s current cabin!

simonm
    Free Member

classic isnt it.

globalti
    Free Member

We had one of those friction reels in our house in Newcastle, up in the attic bedroom in case of a fire. The cable is wire encased in something non-flammable (probably asbestos!) and there’s a big reel with a self-regulating friction brake. My brother and I used to practice on it but my sister, who lived in the attic room, was terrified of it and never did.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stumbled across a photo I had to share – Korean fire escape’ is closed to new replies.