Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Stuff you have built to ride that you are proud of
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/VxQs5r4GohU[/video]

I had a bright idea and kept going until I got permission to build it. All hand built and funded by volunteers.

kayak23

That looks wicked! Well done!
    Ace filming too…
    🙂

D0NK

Awesome work WCA, cap well and truly doffed in your direction.

oliverracing

Nice! – wish we had something like that round here 😀

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuNQPm4TKYM&feature=player_embedded#t=0[/video]

Dunno if that works but should be Alex and Joe Rafferty riding at Stainburn.

Other vid’s here:

http://www.singletraction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=640

Somewhere on the internet there’s a clip that corresponds to the cable cam testing titled something like “cheeky gets a bump on the head”. Had to have it glued back together afterwards 😉

Haven’t watched it WCA but nice one. Building stuff is great 😎

D0NK

cheeky monkey is first half of that vid above the road? We visited early last year, didn’t look like that, at the time some one said there was stuff up there but it wasn’t finished yet. Looks good.

Simon

As above ^ proud to have contributed to the work at Stainburn, although sadly don’t get time to get to digs these days.
    Done some other stuff that lots of folk ride but can’t talk about that 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nice! – wish we had something like that round here

I wished I had something like it too. Then I got up and built it!!

flip456
    Free Member

WCA, that looks amazing and loving the filming too, well done sir.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I don’t want to take all the credit – I had the idea.

The digging was done by a team of people, the drone was provided by Eagle Eyed Productions and video mix was done by Luis.

That is one aspect that also makes me proud – how many people volunteer their time and effort just to be part of it.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Anyone who puts their biking time aside to build stuff gets a massive thanks from me.

I used to build / maintain (it never ends with the building…) BMX trails, heres the last set I did –

Sadly, an incident occurred just after this which meant I had to give up. Still got the itch to dig though, creating something then riding it is very rewarding.

oliverracing

I wished I had something like it too. Then I got up and built it!!

I’m currently in the process of building one near both my home and my uni (with a few other people) :mrgreen:

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I wish I had the rocks and gravity drop of Stainburn but I guess you build with what you have got

Loving those lines Steve

londonerinoz
    Free Member

It appears to have been built down your local park! Is that right? It looks fantastic and I bet it’s a great skills development area. Were you inspired by motocross tracks by any chance?

Murray

Respect to WCA – that’s really cool.

dantsw13

I was in the local woods yesterday, making an extra 3k of single track!! Semi permissive, and great fun. I managed to gain some firewood at the same time. We probably have 15k of single track and 50k of bridleways/fire roads accessible from our village in E Sussex now!!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

cheeky monkey is first half of that vid above the road? We visited early last year, didn’t look like that, at the time some one said there was stuff up there but it wasn’t finished yet. Looks good.

Some of it is filmed up in the Norwood side (opposite side of road to car park). The original plan (c.10 years ago) was to build a figure eight loop either side of the road in both bits of wood. TBH there is scope for longer and stil great trails over on the Norwood side.

Sadly, and despite persistent lobbying to the point of upsetting some of FC, we/I could not persuade them to let us build formal trails on that side. There are many factors, that’s the way it is sometimes (not trying to be defeatist when WCA has such an inspiring story ;-).

So, the state of play on Norwood side is that riding is permitted but construction of trails is not. We can do some “maintenance” although this has to be very small scale e.g. raking and clearance, sorting the odd puddle. We cannot sign a route (thought there was, a year or two ago, yellow flagging tape to help people follow the map here: http://www.singletraction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=101, there’s also a bunch of additional info.

Some unsanctioned building has taken place up there. Some is OK, some just shonky but it’s an awkward situation to try and manage.

On a practical note, it’s a place well worth exploring as the weather improves as the trails dry out (apart fromt he swamp next to the road). I’ve had some of my best rides in theree in the dry months. It’s well worth an explore though can be a bit disjointed.

I hope one day to get permission from FC. There’s so many good reasons to as far as I can see and it would take the place up a grade / standard / capacity. But we have to have the land manager’s buy in and that has been and will (I expect) always be a struggle.

passtherizla
    Free Member

OP that’s bloody brilliant!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is in Southampton Sports Centre.Owned by Southampton Council, run by Active Nation, 7 special interest groups = 12 months of consultation before I cut the first turf.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Ah, I misunderstood your OP. I thought you meant you started building it, then got permission. Still, the proper way is evidently better given the result. Spectacular!

Fairly recently I drove round the city trying to find some jumps to practise on. I thought I’d check out all these local BMX tracks I found listed for something closer and flatter. They were pitiful, tiny singletrack affairs.

Sancho
    Free Member

We have built loads in esholt woods in leeds and if you check out the vids they are a lot of fun

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

We have built loads in esholt woods in leeds and if you check out the vids they are a lot of fun

Hey Ed, is all the stuff at Esholt legit now with Bradford or still “work in progress”?

Tim

Edit- WCA, watched it now, very cool 😎

Sancho
    Free Member

Yes it’s all good with the council and Yorkshire Water

Euro
    Free Member

That looks a lot of fun. Top job WCA (and Steve).

There’s a jump spot a few miles from my house that me a few others built years ago that’s still going strong, so pretty proud of that. The local forest has a few of my trails too and there’s loads of little features scattered about the land that bear my mark. This was my latest trail (there’s a thread on here showing the progress and some of the features). Still not finished…

[video]http://youtu.be/vlS1l_iSkDo[/video]

cinnamon_girl

WCA – that looks great fun, well done for getting it off the ground and rounding up troops. Can anyone turn up? Would there be pointing and laughing if I rocked up to pootle round? Presumably there is a charge?

Thanks. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Sorry, is this by Lords Wood? Bit confused!

akak
    Free Member

I keep hinting that my wife might like to go shopping in Southampton…

deanfbm
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/80833371[/video]

These might be partly my fault.

PS – not me riding.

nixie

CG – no charge, just turn up and ride. Plenty of people just pootle around it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

C-G it is in the main Southampton Sports Centre right next to Lordswood.

There is no charge, I got it built without help from the Council or Active Nation so I don’t let them charge.

You won’t get laughed at, we have everyone from complete newbies up to World Champions riding there. Also, if you decide it isn’t your thing or want a change, the Lordswood trails are 400yards down the road.

If you do want to have a go feel free to email me and I will show you around the bike park. My leg is still stopping me ride Lordswood but I can give a map or some basic guidencr. You can even come back for a nice cup of tea afterwards.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve built some steep, loamy, natural tracks with loads of corners before over on my local hill. They’re the sort of trails that make me happy.

http://instagram.com/p/iJnJutrSH9/
    http://instagram.com/p/iJnkkZrSIc/
    http://instagram.com/p/iJl1ztrSGB/

snappedbanjostring
    Free Member

Lucky enough to live in Queenstown NZ these days and put in a lot of hours on lots of tracks round there…

nz trail pixies

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Stuff you have built to ride that you are proud of’ is closed to new replies.