Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Stuff which just goes on working properly ?
  • cakefacesmallblock

Just serviced ( cleaned and greased ) my Gusset Slim Jim pedals. Got me to thinking, theyve probably been on the bike for about 3000 miles, used in some real bad winter gloop too. I’ve maybe had them to bits 4 times just to take out tiny bits of play and clean them. Flippin brilliant bit o kit. Real unsung hero parts. What do you have which seems to go on forever ? ( Maybe apart from the missus) :wink:.

wwaswas

My left hip’s been generally reliable.

binners

XT rear mechs. Work with zero maintenance until you smash it on a rock, then buy a new one. Repeat.

Any Shimano SPD pedal

binners

What about the right one wwaswas? A Friday afternoon job?

honeybadgerx

I’ll see binners’ shimano SPDs and raise you XT cranks/external bb’s.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Set of 105 sti shifters on my commuter – done around 30,000 miles with no issues at all. XT spd’s on my commuter, done over 10,000 ans still very smooth. Chris King headset, done around 20,000 miles and never been touched. This is on a bike ridden all year round and not highly maintained.

wwaswas

bloody thing snapped first time I fell off onto it.

I took it back to where I’d got it from but my mum said it was out of warranty.

hora
    Free Member

M952 XTR rear mech. Never cleaned or oiled it in over 10yrs. I’ve only changed the Jockey wheels.

Same with my DX pedals. 7yrs and going strong with zero intervention.

excitable1
    Free Member

Hope Hubs…. still as loud and as proud as the day I bought them 18 months ago, and with no bearings replaced yet either !

bencooper
    Free Member

Rohloff – mine is still going strong after 8 years, with only a very occasional oil change. Beaten by the Humber Roadster I have on the wall, though – it’s still working perfectly with original gearing and brakes after 98 years.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

hope headsets

I have these on 3 bikes and never once had to so much as tighten them. Zero play.

[Que them all failing]

binners

FSA Orbit XL11 headsets. Considering they’re cheap as chips, they last forever. I can’t understand whey people pay more

matttromans
    Free Member

Hope hubs. got mine 16 years ago, covered countless miles in all conditions. Never been serviced, still loud and proud on the commuter. Fantastic pieces of engineering brilliance.

cakefacesmallblock

I totally overlooked my old Hope xc hubs. Took a cap off one the other month to service them and clean them up. Just put the cap back in , put ’em back on the bike and carried on. I had those 4 years ago, secondhand then.

matttromans
    Free Member

Thinking about it, I did notice that the rear hub is beginning to get a little sticky, might treat it to some new bearings next year!

MrFart
    Free Member

Hope M4s : Have survived three bikes and still going strong (and still with original seals too).

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Hop hubs and hope mono mini brakes both have given suffered many years of abuse. Mavic 721 rims these seem boombproof and so does any shimano crankset.

rocketman
    Free Member

worked out a while ago that my PD-M970s have done at least 10,000 off road miles. The most fit-and-forget component in my book

MartynS

My 5spot frame (2004 i think) Quite tatty looking now but is just brilliant.

scruff
    Free Member

Any Shimano SPD pedal

Nope, not the new ones.

Hope hubs

Nope, old ones used to snap axles. New ones crack shells.

I’ll propose Shimano cranks & anything that says Thomson on it.

nicko74

Hope XC hubs
    Shimano M505(?) spds – never serviced, never changed, now about 10 years old. There’s a bit of play in the left axle; the bearings must be shot, but they still work!
    Gore Ride-On cables – best bit of money I spent on getting a ‘better than the regular’ bit of kit.
    Formula Oros have been pretty reliable for me (4 years), but I think they’re coming up to needing a bleed.

Shimano XT cranks, probably – but it’s early days as I’ve only had them 2 years. Unfortunately, I kept b*ggering up square taper BBs and cranks, so had to switch to HT2, and they’ve been good so far.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Hope hubs
    Hope headset
    XT thumbshifters

carlosg
    Free Member

Had an original Hope headset on 4 different bikes since 2001 , never serviced it and each time it’s been installed with the help of a rubber mallet 😀

Just last week I replaced the pawls and springs on my Hope xc rear hub that was bought at the same time as the headset , the bearings are still the originals.

kayak23

Hope M4s : Have survived three bikes and still going strong (and still with original seals too).

Me too, about 6 years I had mine on several dh bikes and a couple of dirt jumpers. Easy to rebuild.
    Smashing into a tree put an end to that little love affair.
    Shimanos now..

kimbers

hope minis and mono 4s still going very strong

old school bombers, will probably still be buttery smooth when were all riding hoverbikes

excitable1
    Free Member

Imagine how long a complete Hope bike would last for. They keep talking about it but……. ?

c’mooooooooon Hope !

wwaswas

why have pages started going all odd in Firefox again.

🙁

philfive
    Free Member

my slim jims where ruined after 3 months.

binners

old school bombers,

Damn right! They just frazzled by brain. How could the words ‘Made in Italy’ and “Fit ’em and forget ’em” possibly end up in the same sentence 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Stuff which just goes on working properly ?’ is closed to new replies.