Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stuff to listen to for looooong roadtrip
  • nicko74

As the title says, really; next month I’m taking a long roadtrip (think 2500km on tundra) and need stuff to listen to for about 6 days while in the car. Music’s fine, but it’ll get a bit tedious after a while.
    A friend suggested audiobooks, but I reckon the monotonous sound of one person’s voice might send me to sleep. Another friend suggested LSE podcasts, which I’m checking out.

So, any other recommendations of podcasts, radio shows etc to download for the trip?

Cheers

ransos
    Free Member

For a recent trip to France, I downloaded a bunch of R4 stuff, Infinite Monkey Cage, Great Lives etc. It’s all on itunes for free.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I really enjoy This American Life. It’s maybe not for everyone, but interesting stories and lots of different voices and themes keep it interesting.

nickjb
    Free Member

Plenty of good radio comedy out there. On our last trip we had some R4 Down the Line, Sean Lock’s 15 Minutes of Misery and 15 Storeys High, The hitch-hikers guide, the Mighy Booch, and the Ricky Gervais Pod-casts (he’s less annoying on these than in real life 🙂 )

jekkyl

Game of thrones (a song of ice & fire is it’s true title)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is “A History Of The World in 100 Objects” still available as podcast? (Might have exact title wrong there.) Worth a download if it is though.

CountZero

Music’s fine, but it’ll get a bit tedious after a while.

Depends on the variety of styles, and how much you have. My iPod has 155Gb, in shuffle mode, that’s several months worth, non-stop, and a very wide variety. I don’t think I’d find it monotonous. If you only have 300 tracks, they’re going to get repeated very frequently. I think my phone’s got around 3-4,000, which would just about stretch. I couldn’t cope with trying to follow a story or conversation for long periods in a car.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I always had a few Bill Hicks cds in the car for long journeys round the M25. Almost enjoyed being stuck in traffic, comedy is good for that 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Id invest in a couple of audiobooks. It was the only way I was ever going to ‘read’ Dune. Which I ‘read’ whilst driving to Wales or the peaks to ride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Kermode & Mayo Podcasts?
    TMS – still on 198LW (with breaks for the shipping forecast)

Nobby

Derek & Clive?

kimbers

we did the complete blackadder audio driving to and from the mega last time,

i think i got it from the piratey cove though

marcus
    Free Member

OP – You dont have children do you ? Otherwise you would just enjoy the peace and quiet.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Frank Skinners Absolute radio podcasts are quite good.

rene59
    Free Member

Download some George Carlin stand up audio, his stuff may be a bit old but amazing how relevent it still is. Plenty of his videos on youtube you can convert and download to mp3.

scud
    Free Member

Second Frank Skinner and Kermode and Mayo podcasts

Also like these podcasts:
    Empire Magazine
    BBC 6Music ones, Lauren Laverne/ Radcliffe and Maconie/ Roundtable
    MTB Cast

Torminalis
    Free Member

League of Gentlemen R4 show is excellent.
    On The Hour by Chris Morris is very good too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stuff to listen to for looooong roadtrip’ is closed to new replies.