Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Stuff that lasts a lifetime
  • stewartc
    Free Member

AndyP
    Free Member

Eggbeater pedals

Torminalis
    Free Member

Meridian Amplifier.

captaindanger

Honey (unless you eat it)

Not sure about Brooks though, mine seems to be requiring a lot of tightening. That said you can get them re-covered when hthe leather wears out, which is half the same thing.

rootes1

tins of Engineers Blue.

Cougar

As an aside,

Is it just me, or is it actually really difficult to buy quality these days?

Time was, throwing a bit of money at something would guarantee that you get a high quality item which would last a long time. But it doesn’t seem to work like that any more, you can pay a premium for something and still have it die in twelve months.

There’s stuff in this house that’s as old or older than I am. I have Moses’ old fridge, used to belong to my grandparents. It’s on its last legs now and due for replacing, but it’s thirty years old if it’s a day, probably nearer forty. I’ve got my gran’s old potato peeler, a ‘Lancashire peeler’ with a string-wound handle made from something unidentifiable that isn’t plastic; she’d used it to death and was going to toss it out, I snagged it because I’m left handed – for her it’s blunt to the point of uselessness, for me it’s a brand new blade. That’s served me for at least twenty years after she’d worn it out, gods only know how long she’d had it.

Today, you want a TV or a washing machine or something, it’s a minefield. Even paying a premium for a ‘quality’ brand is often meaningless.

Tracey

Got a set of Pyrex cookware as a wedding present in 1990, some of it is used daily and still going strong

Not changed in that time

Bought a gallon of Jizer in 1987 when I first bought a mountain bike, still got more than half of it left.

jota180
    Free Member

Today, you want a TV or a washing machine or something, it’s a minefield. Even paying a premium for a ‘quality’ brand is often meaningless.

I agree, less complex things like the spud peeler are a bit easier though

saxabar
    Free Member

Not Marmite.

Head full of cold, I dropped and broke a large full jar this morning 🙁

D0NK

derek_starship – Member

Your heart.nah you can get a new one of those, brain might be more what you’re on about, altho with alzheimers maybe not….
    brainstem?

D0NK

Pyrex cookware

only if you’re not fumblefingered, I know someone who didn’t even manage to a pyrex jug home from the shop.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Time was, throwing a bit of money at something would guarantee that you get a high quality item which would last a long time. But it doesn’t seem to work like that any more, you can pay a premium for something and still have it die in twelve months.

This is my big problem. I can look at clad pots and pans and be 100% sure they’ll last forever. And stuff like my Weber BBQ comes with a 25 year warranty. But other than that, there’s not a lot of stuff you can be sure that will last anymore.

Strangely enough, the best tools I have are a set of no-name allen keys I got from Costco. Go figure.

sparkyrhino

Got a 1944 zippo lighter ,been to Berlin and back (gramps had the traveling bug).and still in use everyday.
    Also divan base for bed,which i was born on ,and still very comfy(different matress) 42 years old.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Children.

rkk01
    Free Member

Totally agree – IMO it’s the cult of the marketeer 🙁

In the mid 80s I had a major argument with my cousin. She was just starting a marketing degree, and was soon coming back from college spouting all sorts of marketing BS – which is now just standard business gospel.

My view was that the cost of something was built from the bottom up – design, materials, production, distribution, mark-up etc… so higher price normally equates to better design, materials, production etc.

Ohh NO. Apparently that was the root cause of the failure of British Industry. Marketing BS dictates that the cost in the shops has nothing to do with all of those basics (except to set the minimum)

Apparently the cost has to do with desirability and what you will get some mug to pay for it 🙁

Whilst this logic might work for designer frocks, applied to everything else in the real world and all gets turned upside down

Murray

Pyrex isn’t what it used to be thanks to crack dealers. Kitchen stuff is now tempered soda lime not borosilicate. Lab stuff’s still the real thing – apparently lab break ins to steal the glassware now happen!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I like stuff that looks better as it gets used over a long period

Tilley hat, 5 years on and almost there
    Drizabone stockman, after an incident with some spilled petrol needed a rewax, done by me, made a hash of it, did it again, starting to look ok now
    Brooks B-17, sadly it had to be black so won’t age as gracefully as the brown, but after 250 miles of arse agony it’s properly broken in (my backside that is, I doubt the saddle will ever be)

Dawes Super Galaxy, about 20 years on and was got second hand, still goes, keep meaning to sell it, but just can’t
    MkIII sten, decommisioned but would pronbably still work if it could be pressed back into service
    and finally, my house. 1853 so has lasted several lifetimes and just needs some TLC

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Totally agree – IMO it’s the cult of the marketeer

Not just – if you build something that never needs replaced, what will you be selling in 10 years. Built in obsolescence = repeat buys

Murray

I’m glad that Mk 3 Cortinas became obsolete. Mondeos are far better cars in all sorts of ways. For a start it’s now the norm to get 100,000 miles and 10 years out of a car.

jfletch
    Free Member

Interestingly the people that brought you PYREX back in 1915 now make the glass screen for your iPhone. Bet they won’t last a lifetime!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The awesomeness of Surf Matt.

beefheart
    Free Member

Had mine for around 15 years.

igm

Things that last forever?
    This.

Sorry Mackem (and everyone else who thought it had died)

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Cycling things:
    Sidi cycling shoes
    Avocet cycle computers
    Look pedals

Others:
    Tupperware!

chewkw
    Free Member

Tojiro Chinese cleaver and several other carbon steel cleavers/knives.

Stainless steel whistling kettle I bought from John Lewis. Hope this will last me a while … in fact I bought two at discount.

Got several of those cast iron pot le creuset.

Plenty of Gillette DE Safety Razor … will be getting a Feather stainless steel in few months times.

arrghh … anything stainless steel with minimum moving parts I like.

So anything steel I like.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Seagull Outboards.

My grandad bought one in 1959, my dad has it now. It once sat unused for 10 years, still started first pull.

Brilliant basic british engineering. Just got to be careful not to rest your elbow against the flywheel.

flap_jack
    Free Member

old merc estates… there’s one of these on my drive 😀

RustySpanner

supersessions9-2 – Member

Seagull Outboards.

My grandad bought one in 1959, my dad has it now. It once sat unused for 10 years, still started first pull.

Brilliant basic british engineering. Just got to be careful not to rest your elbow against the flywheel.

Jesus, that drought down south is worse than I thought.

mefty
    Free Member

RS – Very good

convert

Seagull Outboards.

My father had one of those (circa 1979) and that part of my childhood was lived to the background noise of him swearing at the hateful thing. It had a habit of refusing to start in the absolute worst possible situations.

We can blame the marketers and companies looking for built in obsolescence but I think we can look at ourselves the consumer too. So much of the time the “high end” alternative most people want (so is the one they make) is the one with more features or that works better by being bigger/smaller/prettier etc. etc. Very rarely does better built or more serviceable get high up on the consumer want list when looking to buy a better-than-base-model version of something.

[Painfully middle class]My nominations – my La Pavoni espresso maker that is utterly simple in operation and a pleasure to take apart and service whilst being made of great hunks of chromed brass. And my merkur razor – same qualities. [/painfully middle class]

dee66
    Free Member

10 years so far from my slippers Drapers of Glastonbury
    You may laugh but wait ’til you have small children leaving Lego all over the floor.
    Stonehenge.

CountZero

Going to be a while before the scaffold poles on my 456 rust through.

Might be a while before the scaffold poles on this thing rust through too:

567 with just a thin coat of matt lacquer. Top tube/down tube are the same size, btw.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Victorinox swiss army knife – I’ve had mine coming up 30 years
    Dualit toaster – 13 years so far

My big Le Creuset pan de-enamelled a few months back, quite explosively. It was only about 15 years old.

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Stuff that lasts a lifetime’ is closed to new replies.