Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Stuff that lasts a lifetime
  • fanatic278
    Free Member

I must be getting old before my time (33 and a half). But I feel the need to buy things now that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I guess I just want to buy stuff once and be done with it.

My dad started me off with the habit of buying Bosch power tools. Even in my student days I still spent the extra on a Bosch orbital sander and jigsaw to make my own skimboards. He also has an old briefcase that my brother and I have coveted since we were kids (not that I have ever needed a briefcase).

Recently I have just spent a small fortune on pots and pans, knives, teak patio furniture and a Weber BBQ. Oh, and a bunch of Park tools. It has turned into an addiction.

But please feed my addiction. What stuff do you covet the most that will likely outlast you?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Going to be a while before the scaffold poles on my 456 rust through.

cranberry
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano hubs.

fourbanger
    Free Member

And on a related note, Shimano pedals.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

(Proper) Klein frames, I’ve got one that’s battered but still rides as good as when new.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any rigid frame that’s not broken rides as good as new.

Tricone
    Free Member

A good musical instrument should outlast you (unless you are a young Pete Townsend)

toby1

Not that I have it yet, but I think this looks timeless enough to last a lifetime, and at the price I’d hope to buy it once and not need to replace it!

jota180
    Free Member

Oh, and a bunch of Park tools.

I thought you said quality stuff?
    Park is adequate at best

JamieMc
    Free Member

Le Creuset definately! We were reluctant given the cost but they are bloody brilliant. You need a good tool box too. Another thing is to get good clothes pegs, i hate those cheapo ones that just fracture and break leaving lots of wee peg bits for the lawnmower an/or dog to chew up.

CHB

Grenson boots. Have a pair that are 20 years old and still going strong (need a new sole though).

CHB

Bahco adjustable spanners and a decent socket set.

Nice pens last for ever. Have a 50 year old Swan self filler, currently really wanting a Lamy 2000 with EF nib.

A decent bed and sofa last donkeys years too.

andermt
    Free Member

Adding the the Le Crueset fan club.

Taken us a couple of years but all our cookware is now Le Crueset, although the missus complains about the weight when some of the big pots are full of food/water. Will definately outlast us.

For tools, all mine are car related, but most can be used on the bikes, but I generally only buy Facom, got fed up with breaking the cheap stuff.

mcboo
    Free Member

Earth Wind and Rider merino jerseys. I dont what the Yanks do with that stuff but I’ve had one of these for 6yrs, I wear it almost every day 9 months of the year, riding, skiing, walking the dog. Be a stretch to call it good as new but it hasnt bobbled or worn out at all, just keeps going.

http://www.earthwindandrider.com/product.php?productid=16155&cat=210&page=1

mattbee

Got a silver and orange Black & Decker hammer drill that I remember my dad using when I was a little kid. 30+ years later and it will still put a decent hole in a brick wall.

maccruiskeen

A good wooden spoon.

iDave
    Free Member

When my parents got married and moved into their new house (55 years ago), my mum needed a chopping board. My dad went into the shed and cut up a plank and sealed it with veg oil. I use it every day, my youngest son wants to be a chef, so I think he’ll be using it for a few years too.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Diamonds

tarquin
    Free Member

Decent tools, I spent quite a lot on Halfords Pro and Teng tools (I had a Halfords trade card so 20% off).

Stoner
    Free Member

Herpes

nealy
    Free Member

Herpes

😆 Beat me to it

br
    Free Member

And quality wood furniture; our table/chairs were bought s/h by my Nanna as a wedding present for me (and first wife). They came from a couple who were downsizing; they’d had them 50 years and had bought them s/h too.

easygroove
    Free Member

Nicolai helius….indestructo machine – 8 yrs old and it looks like it will easily last another 8 yrs!!

ddmonkey

Chris King headsets. My oldest I have had for 10 years, never serviced it, still works perfectly. I can’t think of any other headset that would keep working like they do.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Disappointment.
    Rejection.
    Regret.

AndyP
    Free Member

Broken some Le Creuset stuff but it’s still great kit.
    Don’t think I could add anything to this list because I’ve only had stuff for 20-odd years at most. So no idea about a ‘lifetime’. But XT thumbshifters will probably still be going after nuclear apocalypse.

freeagent
    Free Member

The Snap-on roll cab full of Halfords pro and Britool stuff I have will out live me.
    same with my leatherman/Gerber stuff.
    My Dad is still using hand tools he bought as an aprentice 50 years ago, one day they’ll end up in my garage and will see me out.

stumpy01

Those large tubs of Saxa salt.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Le Creuset stuff used to last for ever, but the new handles and ends (that you can hang the pots from) and now rubbish. The handles crack and the chrome plating comes off the ends, very poor compaired to the Le Creuset of old. Stuff like the skillet that is all cast metal, does last forever.

I have a Halfords Pro socket set and thought that would last forever, but the hex & torx sets have now achieved the consitency of dry crumbly cheese and have started snapping.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Rotring ArtPens
    Felco secateurs
    Proper spades and forks, stainless with ash handles.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Memories and experiences.

The rest is just stuff.

ton

gravity slave +1

mefty
    Free Member

Proper spades and forks, stainless with ash handles.

Bulldog are good

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Memories and experiences.

until you die or get Alzheimer’s, then they’re gone unlike my Halford’s Pro socket set

emsz
    Free Member

The most important things in life aren’t things

MrSmith
    Free Member

Razzle printed on real paper.

Harry_the_Spider

Tupperware

ourmaninthenorth

+1 for gravity slave and ton – I have a thing about being able to tell interesting stories in the nursing home.

But, when one is buying an object, having a fine example of it is always ideal – and it needn’t be the most expensive thing. Increasingly I find myself wanting “less but better”. Which strangely seems to manifest itself in “buying more for more” 🙄

So, +1 for:

Le Creuset cookware
    Prestige pans
    Global knives
    Park tools
    Barker shoes
    Tumi bags and luggage
    Staedtler and Rotring pencils
    Dunhill, Lamy & Conway Stewart fountain pens

jota180
    Free Member

I have lots of tools that should last a lifetime, some were my dad’s but don’t generally get used that often.

The oldest tool I have that gets used every week is a pair of Knipex side cutters that were bought new in 1976 and came in my first toolkit as an apprentice

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Stuff that lasts a lifetime’ is closed to new replies.