Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Stuff not to forget when you commute.
  • samuri
    Free Member

I’ve forgotten all sorts before but today I forgot something that I didn’t think would impact me that much, my belt. Admittedly this isn’t as bad as forgetting my normal spectacles and having to spend all day working in a pair of prescription wrap arounds but it’s still proving to be quite annoying.

Which leads me to the following question.
    If your trousers keep falling down, is it because your arse is getting bigger or smaller?

However, since I work in IT the answer is clear, I need to fashion a belt out of a patch cable. CAT 5 or CAT 6?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have used a spare power lead i had here before, twisted black and red multicore with an XLR plug nonchalantly swinging. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

I once forgot to pack my trousers and had to spend the day wearing some filthy service department overall trousers that had been fermenting in a filing cabinet for a couple of years after the previous owner had left the company.

Not good.

Stoner
    Free Member

Wouldnt a male:female VGA cable be better?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You carry belts in and out the office?

The only thing I carry is shirts.

slugwash
    Free Member

I forget my underpants sometimes but find that a camcorder AV lead makes a handy thong complete with multicoloured tassles 😉

warton
    Free Member

LOL, I saw the title and instantly thought – Belt!

ourmaninthenorth

I forget my underpants sometimes but find that a camcorder AV lead makes a handy thong complete with multicoloured tassles

You as well? Thank god, I thought I was the only one…

large418
    Free Member

Trousers or clean towel is not good. I normally leave towel and trousers at work, but when they go home for a wash, it’s really bad to forget them the next day. Drying yourself with someone else’s (not so clean) towel and smelling of them all day is not pleasant.

Or shoes. Spending the day in cycling shoes is not clever, especially when everyone can hear you coming (tap dancer style) (haven’t done this yet, but there’s plenty of years of commuting to go!

Flaperon

Nope, shoes are the worst!

Nothing beats the distinctive appearance of Shimano with suit trousers, and the effect is set off nicely by the distinctive click-click-click as you walk on a hard floor.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just borrow our receptionist’s french knickers – which are already in my drawer anyway 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

… your bike?

DezB
    Free Member

Ew! Hope she doesn’t look like our receptionist 😯

scruff
    Free Member

I sometimes forget to put my teeth in.

Zoolander
    Free Member

I forgot lights last week and regularly forget that all the drivers are actually out there to kill me.

binners

I once forgot one of my legs. Luckily I was able to fashion a replacement out of a belt

will
    Free Member

Pants was the worst. Suite trousers and no pants isn’t a nice feel…

JCornford

For those that forget their shoes why don’t you just walk around in your socks (assuming you work in an office)?

Cougar

However, since I work in IT the answer is clear, I need to fashion a belt out of a patch cable. CAT 5 or CAT 6?

CAT6 has better insulation, if it’s cold in your comms room. Also, it’s a better choice if interference is likely to be an issue.

JCornford

So far it has only been things like a coat/jumper and then walking round town in my cycling top to keep warm.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I forgot where I worked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Forgetting underpants isn’t that bad – you can wear cycling shorts all day and no-one’s the wiser. Although they aren’t the most comfy.

Shoes – no biggie if you are at your desk a lot.

Shirt – much worse. You look a tool in your cycling top and you stink to high heaven if it’s been a warm day.

Belt – very easy to get around – simply tie a bit of string through the first belt loop on either side. I once did a whole cycling holiday like this, but intead of string I used zipties. Problem was they were non-reusable, so urgent toilet stops were made all the more urgent by having to fumble with a knife to get them open.

I also broke my glasses on the same trip and used zipties to mend them too.

big_scot_nanny

Worst for me so far (touch wood 😆 ) was proper socks (to wear with a suit). Spent an all day meeting trying to stop my trousers riding up too high whilst facing our ‘oposition’. Quality!

Best was my mate at work, who when I came out the shower was sat, head down, swearing quietly on the changing bench. “What’s up?” I asked. “I brought 2 left shoes!” was his miserable response. 😆

Brilliant!

Kev

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

It was situations like this that made me decide to leave a small Really Useful Box in my office with a complete backup set of clothes, just in case. We tended to dress informally at my last job, but having to sit through a meeting in a pair of lycra shorts was undomfortable for me, and downright distressing for my colleagues. 😯

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Ribbon cable belt…

damion
    Free Member

Spare belt in desk drawer. Check. Spare pants and socks. Check. Spare shoes. Check. Spare pair of trainers for the gym. Check. Having to use the t-shirt I’d just done a spin class in as a towel. Not very effective.

crazy-legs

t was situations like this that made me decide to leave a small Really Useful Box in my office with a complete backup set of clothes, just in case.

I have a bag at work with a spare T-shirt, pants, socks, the only problem comes when I have to use one of them and then forget to restock.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Another one for underpants, Towel in the summer is the worst though.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I forgot my bike lock and had to go home to get it as the office manager monkey wouldn’t let me leave the bike inside.

That was a long morning’s commute.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

Forgetting your pants is a nasty one. Also socks’, having to wear safety shoes with no socks isn’t a good look.

But probably the worst thing I have forgotten is a drink.

binners

No fresh socks? No towel? What a simply frightful thought.

The solution is simple. To avoid such situations I would recommend one simply has one’s man-servant follow behind you as you perambulate oneself to the office on the sort of crap hybrid that now seems compulsory for everyone in a similar job to myself. In one’s Lexus one can fit everything required for any eventuality. Works for me

Dave

Forge_Master
    Free Member

For me not so much fresh socks but wearable ones, my commutes are off road so during the wet/muddy rides my socks are fugged.

Martin.

Keva
    Free Member

cat5 is better than cat6 for a belt, cat6 isn’t as flexy and a bit awkward to tie up. Like the look of the ribbon cable belt. Bit of 6 or 8wire flat cord would probably do if you can find some.

Kev

DT78
    Free Member

Currently sat at desk ‘beltless’ too…. luckily my trousers fit so no falling down here.

Last week I forgot my locker key. I was not happy. Choice of sitting at desk in shorts / cycle top / spds or cycle home and back again…

ebygomm
    Free Member

Bra – sports bar and work top not a good look.

Although the worst thing I’ve ever forgot was my keys which were left hanging in my front door.

samuri
    Free Member

Currently sat at desk ‘beltless’ too…. luckily my trousers fit so no falling down here.

Yeah, I seem to have lost a lot of weight recently. It’s probably just dysentry or cancer or something. Normally I’d leave my belt in the office but last night I took my trousers home for a wash (That’s another troublesome thing to keep track of, how many times have the work trousers been worn and when to take them home), with the belt still through the loops by mistake.

samuri
    Free Member

Bra – sports bar and work top not a good look.

/nods in agreement.

chiefgrooveguru

I only used to carry my shirt with me (kept the rest of my clothes there or wore them, depending on the job/commute). Have had to buy a shirt in the past though… Took trousers home to wash and forgot the clean pair, think I spent the whole day not getting up from my desk due to the Lycra shorts / suit combo.

phiiiiil

I forgot my trousers last year… shirt, tie, muddy humvees wasn’t a look I was aiming for so I took the morning off, went for a long bike ride that included nipping back home and picking up some trousers, and went back in at lunchtime.

Legoman
    Free Member

I’ve done the two left shoes thing.

They were both brown, so thought I might get away with it, but after 30 minutes I was about crippled. Borrowed someones company car to drive home.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Stuff not to forget when you commute.’ is closed to new replies.