• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stuff I'd like a sport watch to do for me
  • honourablegeorge

Record distance/speed/elevation/time on rides.

Follow a route that I upload, giving me navigation pointers as I go — “turn left here” etc.

Count laps in the pool when I swim (currently use a Garmin swim to do this)

What’s out there that does a good job of the above without costing a fortune? Never used any kind of GPS for biking before, don’t want anything bar mounted

jam-bo

Fenix.

not sure that’ll fit into not costing a fortune though.

honourablegeorge

Should add that it’s offroad only… point 2 might be tricky, but something that dives an indication at a junction of where i need to go.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

Which Fenix, jambo?

They’re certainly headed into “fortune” territory

jam-bo

Don’t have one but was impressed with a mates fenix 3 when I spent 10 days bikepacking with him in the summer. Wore it for a bit and even with skinny wrists it didnt seem too overbearing.

I fancy one of the new Fenix 3 HR’s but that is definitely in the fortune territory. Might be some more discounting on the Fenix 3 with the newest model imminent.

honourablegeorge

Fenix looks good what’s the Suunto equivalent?

Is a Fenix 2 comparable but without a colour display?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Fenix 3 does all that & plenty more.

I have one, impressed so far, been using it for a week or so. Similar requirements as you but with more sport variations too.

It’s a good bit of kit.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Hob Nob,

Curious about the nav on the Fenix 3 – what’s it like following a route off road? Is it still clear/obvious where to go with the reducing mapping?

mogrim

Suunto Ambit 2 will do all that, although the navigation isn’t ideal on a bike (fine for walking/running). The newer 3 will do it all and betterer, I’m sure, although I haven’t tried it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The Fenix 3 is a fair old lump to have on your wrist, I have a couple of mates with them.

CraigW
    Free Member

I think the Garmin Vivoactive would do most of that, its a lot cheaper than the Fenix anyway. Though might be more limited for navigation and following a route. Seems you can add extra apps on the watch for more navigation features.

Or the Garmin Epix has a colour screen, with maps, but costs a lot more.

Sui
    Free Member

I know not technically a sport watch, but why not a Sony Smartwatch 3, it does all of those things with the associated apps installed.

Ghost Runner app which links with google fit and Strava is brilliant and can do all your nav stuff. It will also act as an MP3 should you wish with bluetooth headphones.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stuff I'd like a sport watch to do for me’ is closed to new replies.