• This topic has 50 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Joe.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Stuff doesn't last long does it…clothes
  • Joe

Just been looking through my meagre collection of clothes and all of them are destroyed. Nearly all my tee-shirts have holes in them, my jeans are holed at the crotch, smartish jeans trousers i use for work are faded to ****. I’m starting to look quite like a homeless man.

Had a think and nothing is much older than 12 months. I tend to bye quite high end stuff…Carhartt, levis jeans blah blah blah. Is anyone else finding the same>

hora
    Free Member

Switch to primark for day to day?

trail_rat
    Free Member

my carharrts dark blue jeans i wear when ever im not cycling or at work are fine after 3 years now …. but i do only wash them when dirty or smelling … im not in the habit of washing my jeans just because i wore them – takes ages to get them comfy again 😀

andycs

Mountain Warehouse for some of the best quality t-shirts around.

saxabar
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

boak

ive always done it with my jeans but about 6/8 weeks is my limit.

GrahamS

Nope. I have t-shirts that are 10 years old and still fine to wear.
    Which annoys the missus.

Howies t-shirts seem to last particularly well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Plenty of stuff that is 4/5 years old here. You may need more than 1 pair of things though, saves on over use 🙂

stumpy01

Stuff seems to last me pretty well. As GrahamS says, I have some t-shirt getting on for 10 years old that I can’t face throwing out, that are still ok, as well as other long sleeve tops.

I’ll generally be able to get a few yrs from a pair of jeans. They always seem to wear through in the crotch.

hora
    Free Member

Samehere and I dont ride in my pants. Why? Acidic farts?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Which annoys the missus.

I know how that goes!

At the moment I’ve got very few things that are less than a few years old. Combats/jeans do get holes in the bum/crotch by that time though.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Which annoys the missus.

I know how that goes!

At the moment I’ve got very few things that are less than a few years old. Combats/jeans do get holes in the bum/crotch by that time though.

GrahamS

Joe: perhaps they are not being washed in accordance with the care instructions?

Have you considered a divorce?

binners

Howies t-shirts seem to last particularly well.

Indeed. Howies have started doing ‘retro’ t shirts, with their ‘classic’ designs. I’m still wearing the originals from first time around. Which are unfaded and fine

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I find that my fleeces and polyester trousers last for years.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nope, not my experience. Most of my stuff is 2-5 years old.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that because something is ‘high end’ ie expensive that it’s good quality. You have to learn to spot stuff that’s well made or durable without looking at the label.

Oh, and if your trousers have holes in the crotch, then you are too fat. Lose some weight and the problem will go away.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Or it could be that although the material used for the clothes is perfectly good, the thread used to stich the various pieces together is cheap and nasty. You can sew things yourself. Even a mole-eyed, cack-handed dolt such as I can fix what is broken.

Joe

Maybe i’ve got moths. That might be part of it!?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Or if you’ve bought distressed or faded jeans then some of the wear is in before you even pay for them?

stumpy01

Erm, cheers for that molgrips…good advice there.

Thing is, I used to have the same hole in crotch of jeans problem when I was a skinny runt middle distance runner…28″ waist & ~12% body fat. How does your ‘you are a fattie’ theory explain that…?

ourmaninthenorth

Clothes last plenty long enough if you follow some simple rules:

1. buy by manufacturing quality, not by brand alone
    2. have enough items to rotate so you don’t wear items too often
    3. wash, dry and iron carefully

molgrips
    Free Member

How does your ‘you are a fattie’ theory explain that…?

Obvioulsy your pelvis is too small. Try having a baby, see if that helps.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The crotch is always going to be a high wear area. Don’t forget that clothes, like many consumer items, are designed to fail.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

wash, dry and iron carefully

do you wash behind your ears ?

crikey
    Free Member

Ironed jeans? Oh dear.

ton

i am the total opposite, most of my stuff lasts years.
    cos of my weight loss i had a clear out……4 black bin liners of stuff were ejected, some of it not worn for years.

now down to a very uncluttered wardrobe,
    2 pairs of jeans
    2 pairs of moleskins
    6 t shirts
    4 smart shirts
    2 hoodies
    1 winter coat
    2 pairs shoes

8)

br
    Free Member

Clothes last plenty long enough if you follow some simple rules:

1. buy by manufacturing quality, not by brand alone
    2. have enough items to rotate so you don’t wear items too often
    3. wash, dry and iron carefully

4. Use them for what they are designed for, don’t MTB in normal gear
    5. Roll them through, eg. best, then ok, then house, then workshop/dirty

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Jeans, Oh Dear! Why pay vast anounts for a garment that looks rescued from a landfill and once wet, stays wet? A triumph of fashion over common sense IMO.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Oh, and if your trousers have holes in the crotch, then you are too fat. Lose some weight and the problem will go away.

rubbish. the only trousers that have holes in the crotch i own are ones that are 4-6inches too big for me around the waist.

most of my clothes are 3-15yrs old, i’d say probably 7yrs old on average.

molgrips
    Free Member

rubbish. the only trousers that have holes in the crotch i own are ones that are 4-6inches too big for me around the waist

Many people’s thighs rub together at the top. This causes severe abrasion in the crotch area. For me, the longevity of my trousers is dramatically improved by losing weight. It’s nothing to do with whether or not the trousers fit. Unless you have huge trousers with a really low hanging crotch out of the way of the friction zone I suppose.

Why pay vast anounts for a garment that looks rescued from a landfill

Who said he paid vast amounts? Well priced jeans are available, even cheap ones.

stumpy01

I’m too fat & my pelvis is too small. Too small for what? Having babies? Good job really.

Again, more excellent advice. You’ll be telling me next that to lose all this excess weight that is prematurely wearing the crotch of my jeans I should gorge on sugar & exercise once in a blue moon.

philconsequence
    Free Member

low hanging crotch is the reason mine have holes in, sitting with legs wide open (to entice the laydeez of course) stretches the crotch… sometimes i can sense the excitement of people sitting across from me wondering if they’ll get to see a glimpse of my undergarden.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And of course a well-endowed gentleman needs ‘growing room’…

crikey
    Free Member

If tha needs ballroom lad, get to Blackpool…

philconsequence
    Free Member

growing room and room to swing on a hot day…. just gotta always remember to pull it all forward to avoid sitting on them 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

So your holes are split seams, not abrasion?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Careful with that zip, Eugene.

philconsequence
    Free Member

indeed molly. god put our nuts outside our body cos they need to be a lower temp than normal body temp, why wear anything that would provide friction, AKA heat to the area?

corroded
    Free Member

My clothes tend to last years, which is my intention. Pretty much everything I wear is made in the UK, US or Australia. I think I’m right in saying that Finisterre, for example, do repairs. Top tip is to wash cool and quick.
    And when my jeans go, they go in the crotch. Having had a 32″ waist forever, I’d always assumed this had nothing to do with weight.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well do your thighs rub at the top?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Stuff doesn't last long does it…clothes’ is closed to new replies.