• This topic has 141 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by helenth01.
Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Student protests in London – turning ugly
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf – why should a degree level education be a right? Does it really help society as a whole?

Yes, it does. Education is a great enabler, it allows people to gain knowledge and skills. An educated mind is more capable than one that has been left to stagnate. Education helps unlock the potential in all people.

GCSE and possibly A’Level standard education is all that’s needed for the vast majority of people to be useful to society and keep the nation competitive.

See, what you’re doing, is reducing Education down to a purely economic level; you’re suggesting that the sole purpose of education is to train people to do specific tasks. A very naive and narrow-minded view, if you don’t mind me saying so. Education is about stimulating development of the mind, so that the individual may gain a greater understanding of the World around them, and how best to utilise their own abilities in order to function successfully within their society.

Placing restrictions along economic lines is never a good idea; that way, you end up with wealthy elites who use economic power to keep other subservient and unable to compete on the same level.

Personally, having been to Uni, I feel that most people in the UK are more than capable of completing a university first degree. Why not? The myth that University is only for the ‘clever’ is one that has been perpetuated by the ruling classes, to perpetuate the status quo of a subordinate workforce.

The greatest fear of the elite, as I’ve said before, is that the Proletariat will one day rise up and take away the elite’s ‘power’.

All taxpayers contribute towards education; bankers, butchers and candlestick manufacturers. Therefore, all people should have the right to access education, regardless of economic status.

Education leads towards a freer and more egalitarian society. Have a look around the World, the evidence is there. Open your eyes, and let Education open your mind.

WTF does shit like sociology degrees equip people for?

God knows… 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

This is a good one eh? All I wanna say is, Thanks DenDennis for that, I laughed my head off!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

scraprider – Member

hello sorry im late , ive been at work ,paying taxes ……..

What are you trying to say scraprider ………that graduates don’t pay taxes ?

I think you’ll find most graduates have a better prospect of finding employment and are therefore more likely to pay income tax, than non graduates. They are also more likely to pay tax at a higher rate. I would keep paying tax out of the argument myself.

And you know scraprider, “paying taxes” doesn’t mark you out as some sort of hero – whatever the Sun or Daily Mail might tell you.

Although it does suggest that you are not the Sun newspaper owner, or a billionaire Tory Party donor.

Tax free: Rupert Murdoch’s zero status

Tax exile Lord Laidlaw kept up donations to Tories despite party’s denials

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member

why should a degree level education be a right? Does it really help society as a whole?

Since when are people’s rights solely restricted to what benefits society as a whole ?

My elderly mother has a right to receive medical treatment. It would be hard to argue that society as a whole, benefits every time she receives it. Individual rights are not based solely on what benefits society as a whole.

Education to whatever level your potential takes you, was firmly established as a right, not a privilege, in the last century.

I cannot believe that in the 21st century, some people still can’t their heads round that concept.
    We seem to be going backwards.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

And you know scraprider, “paying taxes” doesn’t mark you out as some sort of hero – whatever the Sun or Daily Mail might tell you.

Although it does suggest that you are not the Sun newspaper owner, or a billionaire Tory Party donor.

Or indeed Labour donors Lord Paul, Lakshmi Mittal and Ronald Cohen?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Or indeed Labour donors

Tory Party/New Labour…….you tell me the difference.

Even Rupert Murdoch found himself able to tell his readers to support New Labour.

Billionaire tax-dodging donors were very thin on the ground in the days of Old Labour.

project
    Free Member

Why if you want a uni degree, you get sponsored by a company, like used happen when we still had an industrial base, not a servic industry banking base, that has been shown to have failed and cost a lot of money and jobs.

We could have drama and media students supported by the media companys, computer nerds sponsored by computer firms, accountants sponsored by accountancy firms etc etc.

The students work for the firms in their weeks off, and some weekends, they learn about the real world of work, and get to turn up on time and stay all day, if they dont they get sacked so easy strangfe somebody hasnt thought it out already, but then it was with apprenticships.

druidh
    Free Member

project – Member
    Why if you want a uni degree, you get sponsored by a company, like used happen when we still had an industrial base, not a servic industry banking base, that has been shown to have failed and cost a lot of money and jobs.

How much money has the “service industry banking base” cost?

project
    Free Member

a lot of noughts that we will be paying back for many years, plus all the unemploynment pay fotr all the ones who got sacked/redundant.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A lot of money and a lot of jobs.

Have you been asleep for the last three years druidh ?

druidh
    Free Member

project – Member
    a lot of noughts that we will be paying back for many years,

How much has it cost? How much money will the UK Govt have to spend to “save” the banking industry? Figures please.

druidh
    Free Member

And while you are at it. Also tell us how much money the banking industry has paid into the Exchequer over the last, say, 20 years…..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And how rich have some of those bankers become? To whose detriment?

project
    Free Member

Has Spent,

druidh
    Free Member

I’m waiting

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t waste your time project. druidh knows full well that the total cost to Britain for the Credit Crunch/Bankers Recession is impossible to work out. All the job losses, loss of tax revenue, benefit payments, bailouts, loss of profits, etc etc is too vast to calculate. Although druidh would like you to believe that it’s insignificant, ie the Credit Crunch/Bankers Recession has little effect on the Uk’s economy 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

You don’t have an answer then, just more mindless dribble?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve always got an endless supply of mindless dribble druidh.

Although I have to confess, I can’t quite match your mindless dribble which suggests that the Credit Crunch/Bankers Recession cost Britain no more than a bit of loose change.

You truly must be the only person on this planet who believes that.

ojom
    Free Member

In monetary terms the gov has more than likely profited from lending to the banks.

the social cost of recent events (not the bail out/lending to banks but the lending by the banks) however is harder to calculate but is more than likely a loss.
    i think that is what druidh is aiming at.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve always got an endless supply of mindless dribble druidh.

Ha! You weren’t expecting that one, were you?? 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

i think that is what druidh is aiming at.

I know exactly what druidh was aiming at. God only knows how often he keeps prattling on about it…..I was determined not to give him the opportunity to regurgitate it one more time.

It’s just complete nonsense anyway. In the same way that if I complained after having to spend £300 because my 24volt SDS drill had been stolen, it would be nonsense for someone to claim that the drill hadn’t in fact cost me anything, on the basis that it would in future, save me money.

The reality is that the government should be making money out of banking anyway – or at least offering the services at reduced costs to customers. Rather than leaving it all to a bunch of greedy incompetent bonus-addicted chancers.

I don’t remember btw, the Tories arguing that the bank bailouts were absolutely fine as the government would profit long-term from it. And of course exactly the same could be argued about the fiscal stimulus, ie how could it be costing anything if long-term it will have repaid itself ?

The truth is, as project suggests, that the bankers recession has cost as dearly – in jobs, wages, housing stock, etc etc . And just to link it back nicely with university education :

The cost of the credit crunch mounts: a round-up of university budget-cutting efforts

helenth01
    Free Member

The initiative taken for the concern is very serious and need an attention of every one. This is the concern which exists in the society and needs to be eliminated from the society as soon as possible.
    ======================
    Cheap Car Insurance Uk

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Student protests in London – turning ugly’ is closed to new replies.