• This topic has 141 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by helenth01.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • Student protests in London – turning ugly
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

BBC have got stuck on this as usual, but perhaps getting stuck on this is appropriate.

What do you think about the huge increases in student fees?

Personally, I think those people who got their degress for free all those years ago and who have had a fabulous career should cough up!

wwaswas

Police line’s barely holding at Millbank

Spongebob
    Free Member

The Police management of the crowd has been expamplary so far. It must be difficult working in that situation, knowing that so many people are watching on TV, but who can’t actually see the heated exchanges.

It’s a great shame that a few idiots behave like this, because it discredits the majority who are only there for a peaceful demonstration.

Spongebob
    Free Member

And credit to the BBC for allowing the peaceful protesters to air their disgust about the violent minority. Quality reporting!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s a great shame that a few idiots behave like this, because it discredits the majority who are only there for a peaceful demonstration.

True, but in such a tense situation, it’s very easy to get caught up in the mass hysteria, and people often do stuff they would never do normally. It’s a tremendous buzz, being in the middle of a riot; I used to ‘enjoy’ a good scuffle when I was a photography student; the more violent, the more exciting the pics. I’m the kind of person who would probbly have enjoyed a bit of football hooliganism. These days, I stay away from potential trouble, because I’m actually now quite fearful of mass crowds, violence and the potential for harm to myself. I am well aware of the destructive side of myself that loves a good pagga.

Good to see that so far, it’s being reported as ‘a few extremists intent on causing trouble’, rather than ‘rioting students’.

My fear now is that the police may decide to resort to the tried and tested ‘kettling’ tactics, which will surely result in things kicking off big time. I wonder if Sgt. Delroy Smellie is on duty today…?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My fear now is that the police may decide to resort to the tried and tested ‘kettling’ tactics, which will surely result in things kicking off big time

That’ll be a first. Doesn’t kettling usually result in an inactive mob of sullen numpties who just want to go to the toilet, as in the “anti-capitalist” nonsense that used to get in everybody’s way in that London?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

as in the “anti-capitalist” nonsense that used to get in everybody’s way in that London?

Din’t get in my way, Woppit, and I live in London, whereas you don’t so once again, my opinion is of far more importance than yours. 😉

Fancy a pint?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Beat them up, they should be at work, the filthy un washed.

Pint of Leffe please, seeing your asking.

bob_summers

the more violent, the more exciting the pics.

mate o mine took “that” pic of the lass swinging a scaffold pole at a copper at the poll tax riot. unfortunately her mum recognised her i the next day’s paper, and shopped her!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Beat them up, they should be at work, the filthy un washed.

That’s a bit harsh…

…I’m sure the police generally work very hard.

Leffe coming right up. Woppit?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well of course they didn’t get in MY way, just everybody WHO WAS THERE AT THE TIME (in capitals because you’re obviously a ****).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bob summers; this one?

Great pic.

wwaswas

Must have calmed down – BBC reduced to showing ‘earlier’ pictures.

[Edit] Oooh, I was stood quite near there when that picture was taken. I did feel guilty aftewards as I my Mum was quite worried about me when she saw the news that evening. No mobiles in those days – I didn’t phone her until the following day to say hello.

Torminalis
    Free Member

[Beach boys]It’s student demonstration tiiiii-iiimee!!![/Beach boys]

Can’t beat a good scuffle with the powers that be!

Like elfin I am now scared having received a sound kick in the chops from a mounted copper some years ago. Good luck to them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Now now, Woppit; no need for insults.

just everybody WHO WAS THERE AT THE TIME

I was in London at the time, as were many people I know. They din’t get in our way. 🙂

But then, people exercising their democratic right to protest never do.

Those bloody commuters from Surrey and that do though. Gits.

project
    Free Member

Wheres this London you speak of. 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Project; it’s a little village in the South East of England, you know; that country what has the counties of Wales and Scotland in it. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I agree with their demo, but it would have been far more effective if it had been entirely without violence. There’s always some that spoil things.

nickf
    Free Member

Elf, you still buying?

Pint of Badger, as you’re twisting my arm.

project
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Project; it’s a little village in the South East of England, you know; that country what has the counties of Wales and Scotland in it.

Posted 2 minutes ago # Report-Post

So a totally insignificant placer then.

bob_summers

yep, that’s it. he’s still snapping for a living, google ‘jim hodson photographer’.

allthepies
    Free Member

Just passed some soap-dodgers walking along Fleet St carrying placards as I was returning from Starbucks </corporate-whore>

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pint of Bishop’s. Double Glenlivet, water back.

Make it snappy.

FuzzyWuzzy

There’s no jobs for them now anyway so why do they need degrees? Apart from professional stuff (doctors, vets etc.) then why should the tax payer subsidise it? Now I’m a bit biased in that I started a degree, spent too much time in the pub and dropped out (huge waste of tax payers money I know), can’t say it’s held me back since though.

wildheart
    Free Member

bob_summers – blimey,small world.I was at College with Jim and knew him well whilst in London.Lost touch since he went to Spain.
    Poll tax riot was a great day indeed.

millzy
    Free Member

so if im a second year student… will i have to pay these silly fees next year then?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I understand their sentiment but they got the wrong building… they wanted Fred Goodwin’s or Adam Applegarth’s house

allthepies
    Free Member

You might fall into the increased fee range but you don’t actually start paying them back until you’ve got a job and earning > £21K

ahwiles
    Free Member

the new loan system will make it cheaper for more or less everyone.

i have no complaints about my student loan, or the repayment scheme, but i’d be very happy to have my debt transferred to the new system.

i really have no idea what they’re complaining about – seriously.

i graduated 8 years ago, i have a debt of about £12,000 which is about the same as when i graduated. I will never clear my debt cos my repayments are about the same as the interest.

most graduates under the new scheme will also never clear their debt, but their repayments will be lower than mine, and they’ll be waived sooner.

sounds bloody good to me…

CaptJon
    Free Member

millzy – Member
    so if im a second year student… will i have to pay these silly fees next year then?

POSTED 17 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

No. If it gets through Parliament it won’t happen until the 2012/13 intake start.

the new loan system will make it cheaper for more or less everyone.

i have no complaints about my student loan, or the repayment scheme, but i’d be very happy to have my debt transferred to the new system.

i really have no idea what they’re complaining about – seriously

You want to pay triple the fees you’re on now, and study a course which might face a net loss in funding ore student? E.g. Paying more to get less.

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, no.

i will never clear my debt, i haven’t made a dent in it in 8 years. and i earn more or less exactly the national average (mean).

graduates under the new system will also most likely never clear their debt, but their monthly payments will be less than mine*, and the debt will be waived sooner.

can i transfer my debt to the new system please?

(*about £50 a month less = £600/year = £20,000 that i could stick in an isa)

the new system will really sting those who go on to earn £40k – £50k or more, but, quite frankly, i won’t lose any sleep worrying about the poor lambs…

yunki
    Free Member

I agree with their demo, but it would have been far more effective if it had been entirely without violence.

like the peaceful anti-war marches were effective..? peaceful protest in this country is a farce

allthepies
    Free Member

peaceful protest in this country is a farce

You want to try it in Burma/China/<insert other police state here>.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Heard it on the news this morning. Bit early for them I thought. Wolfie Smith would be proud, power to the people and all that 🙂

DickBarton

Thing I don’t get is how they can skip classes. Likely to fail and have to resit and pay these fees next year. So stick in now, pass and save some money.

emma82
    Free Member

I liked that one chap had a placard simply saying ‘i’m so angry I made a sign’ . Awesome, he will go far I think 🙂

scraprider
    Free Member

C.S gas mixed with water . that will move the em on , dirty unwashed , if the police go in with loads they get moaned , not enough they get moaned at,you wait when they have to start paying them selfs i bet there not pissing around in lundun.

pinches
    Free Member

i’d have gone and protested, but i was too busy with attending my actual lectures 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

C.S gas mixed with water . that will move the em on , dirty unwashed , if the police go in with loads they get moaned , not enough they get moaned at,you wait when they have to start paying them selfs i bet there not pissing around in lundun.

You never went to uni, did you?

Did you actually attend school much?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Student protests in London – turning ugly’ is closed to new replies.