Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • student loans company, merry blooming christmas
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Absolutely endless. Was assessed and entitled to loan, first installment paid then a couple of weeks ago 4 letters contradicting one another arrive. 2 say I'm entitled to a loan and 2 say I'm not. Several phone calls later and they decide that the reason is that my course is ineligible (this despite not rejecting my application 4 months ago and most of my coursemates getting a loan from them)

Called again this morning to see if they had realised its a cock up and had rectified the mistake. Weren't even interested in speaking to me

"you need to send in the appeals letter."
    right and how long does that take to process?
    "about 12 weeks"
    but my next installment is due in january, how am i meant to pay the bills?
    "im afraid its nothing to do with us."
    can i speak to a manager please?
    "id advise you that a manager can't help you"
    nontheless can i speak to a manager please?
    "id advise you that they wont be able to help"

this went on for 10 minutes with her before she hung up on me! absolutely bloody endless with them and Im staring down the barrel of a massive bank loan because they're so bloody incompetent. 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

That is a mess.

ojom
    Free Member

Second only to Scottish Gas in 'having no idea wtf is going on' stakes.

Seriously incompetent. Even worse when you find your loan has been 'sold' to another company… or 2. Then you have the 3 DD's coming out rather than 1 and no-one seems to have any concept how annoying this might be to 'the customer'.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brakes
    Free Member

I had a few battles with the SLC, mostly them threatening (without just cause) to send round debt collectors
    was very happy when my debts were paid off, though I wouldn't be surprised if they started billing me again…
    numpties

fontmoss
    Free Member

just so demoralising, total lack of communication and ability to rectify mistakes

hopefully i can weather this storm, cant even get a job as course doesnt leave me enough time

wwaswas

write to your MP (seriously and more so if they're a tory), this whole student loans thing is quite big politically at the moment.

better still take all the letters etc you have and visit their surgery.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

get the uni student support services on to it if you havent already, also ask then about about the access to learning fund which each uni has depending on your circumstances this should tied you over and you dont need to repay it.

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah im going to stir up as much as i can, MP is a good shout. Im president of the course committee so ive emailed the person i deal with at the student union and trying to sort a hardship fund or a core bursary but its just so disheartening.

not sure im entitled to access to learning fund but its worth a punt, cheers guys

pennine
    Free Member

We went through 2 months of incompetence with my sons loan. We contacted our MP (Tory) who was very good. He wrote twice to the loan company and brought it up with some top dog in the House of Commons. Not long afterwards, my lad received his load, but not before we had to sub him for his accommodation. Absolute nightmare with the phone line constantly engaged at the student loan company.

retro83
    Free Member

Absolute nightmare with the phone line constantly engaged at the student loan company.

Yeah, they said that only 1 in 20 calls to SLC actually get answered on the radio last night.

They really are a pain in the ballcocks.

julianwilson
    Free Member

write to your MP (seriously and more so if they're a tory), this whole student loans thing is quite big politically at the moment.

…and if he/she is Conservative, don't forget to mention which government it was that ended housing benefit for students and oversaw the creation of the SLC in the first place in order to phase out LEA grants.

Granted, you got your loan in a simple and timely manner in Major's day but there are still graduates out there under the 'old' loans system (particularly anyone working in environment/ecology fields) who still don't earn enough to have to pay them back, and will have them written off in a few years. 😆

I graduated in 1999 and didn't start paying mine until 2007.

leftist swipe over now. igmc.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Two of the SLC directors fell on their swords yesterday.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘student loans company, merry blooming christmas’ is closed to new replies.