Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stud wall/plasterboard/doorway help please
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve lined a stud wall to the edge of a timber doorway and will be fitting a basic single skin door (probably 25mm MDF or similar, it’s a store cupboard).

Can anyone advise how I should finish this? I’m not planning to skim the boards, just fill and tape the joints and leave them undecorated.

The outside of the wall faces the upstairs bedroom and WILL be done by a pro.

Thanks

tillydog
    Free Member

Are you going to put a door lining in?

chickenman

Timber to plasterboard joins will always crack when filled or skimmed plus you can’t screw hinges into the edge of the plasterboard so it will need a lining on it the width of the finished wall (plus say a mm on both sides). This could be 12mm ply or mdf assuming a lightweight door. You would normally cover the gap between the lining and the plasterboard with a facing. Normally a softwood doorframe would be used instead (you have 63mm studwork + 2×1,52mm plasterboard so you would fit a doorframe 90mm wide (by either 33 or 45 thick)…you’ve maybe not allowed for this though!

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

You’d be installing a pre-hung door presumably? The frame screws to the stud, your trim covers the door frame to drywall junction. Not sure why you’d be trying to finish drywall to a construction grade stud.
    I’d be more concerned about the massive void between the perpendicular drywall faces.. an inch gap is at least 3/4″ more gap than I’d have aimed for in a worst case scenario.
    Whats going on with that offcut shim? You’re asking for finished corner failure here without decent structure behind.

timba
    Free Member

As mentioned above, door lining and architrave
    25mm mdf door will be heavy and it isn’t the easiest material to either plane or screw into. Maybe a softwood frame and two thin skins? Think about coat pegs, handles, etc and then build the frame to reinforce those areas

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I may fit a thin door frame then, 90×18 mdf and hang a lighter door, cheers.

The gaps are going to be filled with easifill to stop any edges cracking and just left undecorated.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The gaps are going to be filled with easifill to stop any edges cracking

It won’t.

mikedabear
    Free Member

If it is just for storage I would put a liner in the opening to cover the cut edges of the PB and then just leave it as it is.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stud wall/plasterboard/doorway help please’ is closed to new replies.