• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IanB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stuck seatpost – suggestions not involving a hacksaw please
  • IanB
    Free Member

I’ve got a USE Alien carbon seatpost stuck in a Ti frame.
    Grabbing the saddle and turning it I can just moves the saddle clamp in the post, but it’s very very stiff.
    I tried GT85 down the seat tube and used a plumbers rubber strap wrench, but can’t get a tight enough grip on it.
    Don’t really want to set to it with a hacksaw, so suggestions most welcome!

Cheers,

Ian

crikey
    Free Member

Just cut it out.

philconsequence
    Free Member

think its best just to give the whole thing away for free to me.

younggeoff

Hmm sounds like you may have to bin the post, if it’s been greased and de-laminated it could be well stuck. WD40 or GT85 down the side of the post. INner tube around the post and a set of molgrips or stilsons might shift it

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

If worst comes to the worst, heat the titanium and yank the post.

sobriety
    Free Member

moves the saddle clamp in the post

If you’re turning the saddle clamp in the post it’s probably already knackered.

speaker2animals

Boiling water/cold water (iced if available) and repeat as quickly as posible through 2 or 3 cycles. It may just cause the “bond” to break by causing thermal expansion/contraction. A stuck Carbon seat post and knacked BB spelt the end of my old Cannondale HT frame. To be fair it owed me nothing and lived with the stuck seat post until the BB died and was not removable.

This method has worked for me on stuck ally seat post in a steel frame,but it didn’t work on the Cannondale and aluminium has a pretty big coefficient of thermal expansion. Not sure how it compares to Ti. Just checked, Al is about 4x more than Ti. I’d still give it a go though.

Plus gas up the seat tube if not? It’s a more searching anti-seize than WD-40. Not sure what it’s effect on the Carbon might be though.

wwaswas

cut seatpost right near top.

Put a metal bar the same as the internal diameter of the seatpost inside it and clamp seatpost as hard as you can in a vice. Use frame as a lever to twist seatpost out of frame.

If you don;t put something inside the seat post the vice will just collapse the tube.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stick ice in the seatpost.

I’ve never used any of these methods btw.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I got an alloy mast base out of a carbon mast (windsurfing) using an ice pack shoved in it once. Left it for half an hour and what was toatally stuck just poped out.

IanB
    Free Member

Thanks all. I realise the clamp not being fully bonded into the top of the tube may render the whole thing useless, but I’ll give it a go all the same.
    Joolsburger, thanks for the link – given me some inspiration

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stuck seatpost – suggestions not involving a hacksaw please’ is closed to new replies.