Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stuck seatpost in a Ti frame
  • BigR

Completely my fault but my seatpost is completely stuck. I have tried plusgas, GT85, ammonia, freezing spray and hacksawing down the length with no joy. Is there anywhere in Edinburgh/Glasgow or further away that someone can recommend who may be able to ream it out? Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

ben @ kinetics has all manner of conferluting machinerwhattery that might help.

Recumbents, folding bikes, electric and cargo bikes, custom manufacturing – Based in Glasgow, Scotland since 1998.

BigR

Thanks, I’ll give them a call.

Rorschach
    Free Member
    BigR

Rorschach, sounds promising, have you used him?

philxx1975
    Free Member

Plug it pour patio cleaner in the frame, eats aluminium cleans titanium

timba
    Free Member

It doesn’t help you now but it’s likely to be galvanic corrosion and titanium can also be prone to galling (so is aluminium). In galling a sliding action picks up the surface into tiny lumps, done enough it can weld parts together

If the metals are dissimilar without seatpost movement, I’d suggest galvanic corrosion
    If you move your seat post frequently for transport, or if it regularly slips then you might begin to see galling

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I had this recently on a bike I was working on. wd40, leverage, impact hammers etc wouldn’t budge it. Eventually did the cutting into 4 slices lengthways, at first this seemed to achieve nothing but I found that a small screwdriver gently tapped into the gap between post and frame followed by a bigger screwdriver, repeat, repeat, repeat eventually got it to move once the screwdriver reached the seized area. Took 8 hours to do all this and drove me slightly insane.

Macavity
    Free Member

The effect that seriously corroded aluminium can have, as the aluminium oxide expands:

http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-102.html

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, pop it along and I’ll shift it – I have a series of techniques that haven’t failed yet 😀

(though may have to destroy the seatpost itself)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stuck seatpost in a Ti frame’ is closed to new replies.