Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stuck outer race, eh oh
  • poltheball
    Free Member

Pulled my Stumpy linkage apart today, one of the bearings was VERY dead and just disintegrated as soon as the bolt was off. Outer race is still jammed in. Bummer.

I’m assuming it’s a steel race and ally linkage, so will the age old “spot weld the race, let it cool, it’ll drop out” trick work? Will need to take the uni welder some cookies if so. Or just try it myself with multiple soldering irons, but I doubt somehow that they’ll do the trick…

Any other ideas? Could try a rawl plug if I can find one big enough, and then just try and thump it out? If I got really creative I might even manage to partially reconstruct the bearing to try and use the inner race as a surface for the rawl plug trick.

Operating on a budget of notverymuch and a time limit of cairngormsnextweek. Any ideas appreciated 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bearing puller? Whats behind the race? If there is no lip then pull away. If not dremmel and cut through in 2 places?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

If there’s no lip to grip I’d go the welder route.

Soldering is unlikely to help, other than expanding the aluminium housing to loosen the grip temporarily.

Welding is ideal as you lay down hot material that then cools and contracts, shrinking the race. In this case you’ll also get temporary expansion of the aluminium housing so it should drop out no bother.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

I had that once. I ended up making a custom expanding puller tool on the lathe. Worked a treat

orangeboy
    Free Member

I just remove them with a demel

mulv1976
    Free Member

You need a blind bearing puller. I did this (twice!) on my Capra and my blind puller tool was the saviour…

mulv1976
    Free Member

I think this is the one I’ve got: http://r.ebay.com/qg8yxm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stuck outer race, eh oh’ is closed to new replies.