Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Stuck on M8 in Glasgow :-(
  • scottyjohn
    Free Member

Im stuck in a car on the M8 in Glasgow and happened to be stuck next to a bus with free wifi so surfy surfy! I loved getting something for nothing 🙂

Anyone else stuck?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Only up my own arse, I hear this is quite common for STW though.

Haribo
    Free Member

not any more 😀

4.5hrs from Hermiston Gait to Bo’ness…most of that spent between hermiston gait and the turn off for the M9 👿

good luck!

Garry_Lager

Missus got in (Edinburgh) from Newhouse about an hour ago – eastbound was eerily empty after Newhouse J6, due to some sort of blockage before. Westbound was a carpark throughout.

iainc

guy on Reporting Scotland was stuck on M8 at Bathgate and had moved 9 miles in 7 hrs. I got up the M77 this morning just before they closed it. Wife walked home from Glasgow to EK – took her 4 hrs !!

jad
    Free Member

The mountain bike really was the ultimate form of transport in central Scotland today. I left the bike at work while I was in Korea for a few days. Bus back into work this morning only to be told to go home at midday because of the weather. Jumped on the bike to the amusement of fellow workers and rode 10 miles in 45 minutes. The same trip by car was taking 3-4 hours!

Although a very smug cyclist I still took the time to stop and push the (mainly BMW) drivers on the way home.

jamiep
    Free Member

a pal has been stuck on the m8 for 8 hours, car-sharing with her ex-husband 😐

iainc

a pal has been stuck on the m8 for 8 hours, car-sharing with her ex-husband

if they are stuck much longer they may have to cuddle up to keep warm ! 😛

Xylene
    Free Member

I was in Korea for a few days.

Where in Korea were you?

househusband

Had 7hrs in the car today; left home (Dalkeith area) for work (Glenrothes) at 7am and was told that the school was closed just after 8am – didn’t get home until 2pm.

Jad; cruised past several BMW’s!

jad
    Free Member

Quirrel – I was in Gyeongju City near Pohang. I stayed well away from the border and the kimchi…

BoardinBob

My father in law was. Took him 8 hours to get from Airdrie to Whitburn on the M8 😯

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Not long home myself either… 2.5hrs to get from the city centre to eaglesham… Plenty of abandoned bmws and white vans. Ironically, those are the two types of vehicles most spotted driving at wholly inappropriate speeds whenever the traffic starts moving freely… Sweet justice.

rj
    Free Member

I didn’t bother with the M8. Booked into a hotel after I heard the traffic news.

Xylene
    Free Member

I was in Gyeongju City near Pohang. I stayed well away from the border and the kimchi…

I love kimchi.

Are you involved in the boat industry then?

BoardinBob

2.5hrs to get from the city centre to eaglesham

I left the office around 11am in the city centre. All trains were cancelled, bus stop had 200+ folk waiting so decided to walk home from the city centre to Shawlands. traffic was gridlocked all the way up pollokshaws road. I picked out a few cars and kept an eye on them and I was able to walk the 5 miles quicker than they could drive it!

househusband

I didn’t bother with the M8. Booked into a hotel after I heard the traffic news.

Where are you staying, RJ?

jad
    Free Member

Quirrel – not involved in the boat industry. I was over visiting a supplier of super high speed motors for the compressor industry.

They’re a clever bunch, the Koreans. And there was no snow. Not keen on Kimchi…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well on the positive side – you are THE news headlines on the rolling news.

Give us a wave then! I’ll see if I can spot you 🙂

I feel for you after 6 hours on the m90 a week back.

Northwind

Felt like punching some people on the A71/Edinburgh bypass junction today, the bypass was logjammed so the people who wanted onto it thought they’d block the roundabout completely- if they can’t get where they’re going, neither can anyone else. Just cantered effortlessly through it on my magnificent dandyhorse of course but the utter stupidity of it all…

OTOH, it did mean there was no traffic at all for most of the rest of the ride home, since everyone trying to get up my way was hopelessly jammed up behind the mouthbreathers.

Xylene
    Free Member

How do you wee and poo when stuck in the traffic?

rj
    Free Member

I’m in the Dakota. Only slightly depressing.

Xylene
    Free Member

They’re a clever bunch, the Koreans. And there was no snow. Not keen on Kimchi…

The missus and I miss Korea. Hopefully in a few years we will be able to go back there, if the right job came up.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The news is saying that people are abandoning their vehicles on the M8 – er, and going where, exactly? 😯

househusband

I’m in the Dakota. Only slightly depressing.

Far, far nicer than many others! Have always joked about taking Mrs hh there for a night and treating her to a slap-up feast at the Frankie & Benny’s.

rj
    Free Member

The restaurant’s not bad and the room’s are above average. Not convinced I’ll get out of the car park in the morning, though.

Kit
    Free Member

Have always joked about taking Mrs hh there for a night and treating her to a slap-up feast at the Frankie & Benny’s.

But she knew you were just teasing her, because the only one you treat with a lubeslap-up is yours truly.

Xylene
    Free Member

So if you’re stuck there in the traffic and you need to go for a dump, what do you do? Seriously! This is the sort of thing I worry about.

Do you go in the car, maybe using a plastic bag or is it a squat at the side of the road.

depth-junkie
    Free Member

Left North Wales this morining at 4:45am with the inention of skiing glenshee today then hopping over to aviemore to stop the night. Then ski cairngorms tue then back home to north wales later that night.

Well that was the plan, we left at 4:45am, hit Glasgow at 8:40ish on the M80 and thats where we stayed till 12:30 noon. Having moved a grand total of 1 mile in that time frame and also hearing on Traffic news that the M9 was closed and also the M80 ahead of us had a jack knifed lorry blocking the way. And also the A9 was going no where fast we gave up as these were all roads we needed to get on. Managed to get back on the M73 and M74 just before they shut the M73 southbound.

Got back at 6:15pm tonight, so best part of 13hrs driving/waiting and got to Glasgow and back and thats it 😯

Hey ho, thats life. But the annoying thing is we checked the weather last night and also at 3:30am this morning and it was showing light snow to possible heavy snow[/b]showers and not heavy blizzards which we had. Never seen so many stuck cars/vans and jack knifed lorrys all in one place before. But i might add the standard of driving off some folks in deep snow/ice beggers beleif. dont have a **** clue springs to mind.

The M80 and M73 were not fun going home southbound (and it was virtualy empty/exluding jack knifed lorrys) and i was not far from sticking the snow chains on as it was getting not very nice by 1pm ish as it all started to freeze. The Tailbacks going north bound on the same motorways were horrendous and we had a bit of luck that we were high enough up in the north bound road blocks to be able to get back south bound before it all got closed. Folk still stuck in vehicles and having to sleep in there cars on the same roads tonight from what i can gather. I really feel for them

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Depth Junkie – you are so right! I checked last night on the met office site and we were due a dusting. Major error / inaccuracy there then. Still it’s only a forecast (aka best guess).

househusband

So if you’re stuck there in the traffic and you need to go…

Had to use an empty water bottle today; chuffed that I didn’t spill a drop. Now have under the seat the rather more convenient bottle I use when camping…

rj
    Free Member

I’ve just noticed that the elevator is made by a company called Schindler, which makes it Schindler’s lift.

I suspect I’m finding that a lot funnier than it actually is.

iainc

skidsareforkids – Member
    Not long home myself either… 2.5hrs to get from the city centre to eaglesham… Plenty of abandoned bmws and white vans. Ironically, those are the two types of vehicles most spotted driving at wholly inappropriate speeds whenever the traffic starts moving freely… Sweet justice.

inconsiderate feckers. I left the office in City Centre at 10, power slid my BM down to Waterloo St, just made it over the Waterloo St on ramp, felt smug on the M77 till I got to Darnley when the inside lane was stopped and blocked. More through luck than anything ese I got into the very white outside lane and went past the queue at 30 mph in 4th just holding traction up to jcn 5. The M77 shut 10 mins later…… I nearly got to Nursery in EK for the wee guy on time, but the Head Teacher got stuck in her Ford Fusion and I lost all ‘momentum’, which along with those old power slides is the only slight chance of getting the fat wheeled RWD car anywhere 👿

car safely tucked away at bottom of Estate till later in week !

LycraLout
    Free Member

no, cracked me up the first time i saw one and still raises a smile

fruitbat

Left Denny at 07:15 heading for Dumbarton via Stirling A811 etc. Fiat Bravo Turbo – worst car I’ve ever had for snow driving.

Traffic stopped in Arnprior. I let quite a bit of air out the front tyres so that I’d have a chance to get up the minor hill through the village – success, definitely helps (must remember to blow them up again).

Following Calor Gas lorry, leaving a very big gap (about 1/4 mile) until just before Drymen. Lorry stopped at bottom of a ice covered hill.

Descending the hill brakes on – no retardation and in danger of running into lorry. Decide to steer into snow bank on LH side. This causes the car to spin 180° counterclockwise and stop neatly at the LHS but now facing the wrong way.

Reverse for about 2 miles to find a suitable turning place – traction much better in reverse. Get very sore neck.

Eventually get to Jamestown where I decide to abandon the car and walk the last two miles to Dumbarton. Arrive 10:50.

Returning home by the same route – A811 depart Jamestown 16:30 arrive Denny 20:30. Denny cross to Dennyloanhead (c. 2 miles) takes 1.5 hours.

I’m working from home tomorrow.

druidh
    Free Member
    bigG
    Free Member

Left my office near the SECC at 1130 to get home to my 8.5 month pregnant wife 25 miles away in Denny

It’s now 0401 and I’m still on the M80! What a blinking shambles….

cranberry
    Free Member

Quirrel – you need one of these, and a spade

KT1973
    Free Member

rj – Member
    I’ve just noticed that the elevator is made by a company called Schindler, which makes it Schindler’s lift.

I suspect I’m finding that a lot funnier than it actually is.

They make a lot of elevators. I took a photo of myself in one in Sydney, Oz about 10 years ago where I too found it hilarious

spooky_b329

So, what coaches do I follow to get free wifi on motorway journeys?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Stuck on M8 in Glasgow :-(’ is closed to new replies.