Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stuck Hope Pro 2 end caps
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just been trying to pull the end caps off my rear hub, they’ve been there since around 4000BC and are frickin’ solid. Any tips? Pack with dynamite? Nuke from orbit? Anyone got Geoff Capes’ number?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

better vice and grip?

km79
    Free Member

Grip in a vice then put your back into it!

In a safe manner of course utilising sound manual handling principles.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Have got the vice, a bit worried about knackering the caps with the combination of the clamping force and my superhuman strength. Very well, I’ll try it, but if I pull off the earths crust and everyone drowns in hot magma, it’s your two’s fault.

CheesybeanZ

Use a bit of old inner tube if you don’t have any soft jaws . Its enough to grip and not mark the cap .

balfa
    Free Member

I’ve had this issue. The axel/end caps corrode a little making it hard to get off. Pour boiling water over the end cap, then pull! Make sure you clean up the axel with a little emery paper then grease when you put it back together to prevent it happening again.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If I’ve got the NDS off can I just leather the end of the axle to pop the other side out or am I missing something?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

you can do that but you’ll pop out the bearing too.

otsdr
    Free Member

Try jiggling the hub side to side, rather than pulling straight.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well, got it off, knackered the end cap in the process but that’s life

Phil_H

I used an M6 rawl bolt/shield anchor.
    Pop it in the axle, do it up then pull it with a pair of molgrips.
    A poor mans blind bearing puller.

Northwind

Generally they’ll twist even if they don’t pull so a pair of moleys and then just turn them. Once they’re loose that way you can walk one off. The other’ll still be stuck like a limpet but with most of the axle sizes you can stick a drift right through the hub and knock it out that way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stuck Hope Pro 2 end caps’ is closed to new replies.