Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stuck(?) DT Swiss XD driver
  • gaidong
    Free Member

Hello,

I’ve gone and got myself a second-hand set of XM1501 wheels (in 27.5″ flavour). The rear came with a XD driver, and my next cassette will be a GX, but I’ve still got a XT cassette with plenty of life in it on my E1700 wheels. So, I want to put my standard freehub body on the XM1501s, got it?

I’ve downloaded the exploded diagrams and watched the videos but that XD driver doesn’t seem to want to budge. The end cap comes off easily enough but there’s no movement for the freehub body. In the videos people seem to struggle a bit for the end cap but the XD pops straight off; so why is mine the other way around? Am I right in thinking that the XM1501s have 240 hubs? I admit to the likelihood of me doing something stupid… Thanks for any suggestions.
    Gaidong

benpinnick

1501s have spline hubs not 240s, but the principle is the same as its the same internal gubbins. It will be seized on or a bent axle probably. Borrow an XD cassette and that will make life much easier as you can screw that on and then use the cassette to pull the freehub off (Rather than stick it in a vice or similar). It will come, sometimes they are just a bitch. Other times they just fall off.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Seized on most probably – steel bearing + alu axle + water.

Easiest way to get it off is probably just to tap the axle through from the drive side. You’ll have to refit the nds bearing though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gaidong
    Free Member

Thanks very much for those suggestions. I’ll stick my thru-axle through, to see if the hub axle is bent – in which case I’ll be pretty gutted. The front wheel seems fine at least!

Northwind

Traditionally what you’d do is, you’d put a bit of the cassette on then stand on teh wheel and pull up… But not sure what the equivalent is with XD. And o’course that doesn’t help if you don’t have a cassette.

I doubt the hub axle is bent, it’s basically a 240 and they don’t really do that. Probably it’s just sticky though- tech videos are hardly ever honest, they’re working with clean, perfect parts usually.

gaidong
    Free Member

My thru-axle went in altogether too silkily, so bent axle out methinks. I will order the GX cassette asap so will try brute violence when it arrives… then put the XD back on with the cassette and go cycling. Cheers!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stuck(?) DT Swiss XD driver’ is closed to new replies.