Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stuck chain ring bolts
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I’m trying to remove the chainring bolts from my crank (XT M770) but am having trouble getting them buggers out. About 6 months ago I stripped the crank and for cleaing and put it back together using Loctite 243 on the bolts but seem to have becomke stuck.

I’ve managed to get 3 of them out but the last one just wont play the game, I’ve tried soaking in GT85 and am using a Park chainring tool along with a T30 and no rather stumped

I dont get why the Loctite appears to have dried up, does it “go off”? Any ideas how I maight get this last one off?

Cheers All

R.lepecha

get a soldering iron or simmilar and heat the bolt up as it softens the loctite. then try turn it

almightydutch
    Free Member

?Maximum thread size: M36
    ?Strength: Medium
    ?Breakaway torque M10 bolts: 26 Nm
    ?Fixture time steel: 10 min.
    ?Fixture time brass: 5 min.
    ?Fixture time stainless steel: 10 min.
    ?Service temperature range: -55 °C to +180 °C

that stuff is a bit OTT for a chainring bolt.

Your better off with some Loctite 222

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I dont get why the Loctite appears to have dried up, does it “go off

Its basically glue – thats how it works

stumpy01

I had this problem the other week with my XT crankset. I ended up putting the T30 bit in a t-handle wrench and then clamping the handle of it in a Workmate, so the bit was pointing straight up.

The crank was out of the bike and I put the bolt onto the bit (making sure it was fully engaged) and used the crankarm to get more leverage and unscrew the bolt.

stayhigh

Ah I see.

I’ve tried the soldering iron trick but with no joy and I’m a bit worried about rounding the bolt off with my hamfisted enthusiasm 😉

I’ll take it to my lbs tomorrow and see if they can sort it for me.

Cheers All 🙂

Tebbalot
    Free Member

I heard a tip somewhere that if you rotate the actual chain ring a bit, with the crank still attached to the bike,this can sometimes loosen the bolt enough to undo it.

RustyMac

We use Loctite 243 every day at work. To loosen stuck bolts we use a hot air gun to heat the bolt. give it a smack with a hammer (the shock seems to help break up the Loctite) then loosen it. We have stuck metal parts in an oven before as well to get then hot enough to get a screw out.

You could try again with the soldering iron, remember you will need to get that bolt so hot you wouldn’t want to touch it, then put the T30 in there and give it a good tap with a hammer. If it doesn’t twist out after that i’d take it to the shop.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stuck chain ring bolts’ is closed to new replies.