Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stuck Cassette
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m trying to remove a cassette from a new wheel, factory built.

I’ve removed hundreds of them in the past, but this is being uncompliant.

All I’ve tried so far is:

Standard chain whip, lockring tool in molgrips
    QR tightened up to the lockring, and hammer on the molgrips
    Lots of force

Nothing. Not even budged.

Do LBSs have as more special tool? Any advice?

Cheers

Ricks

wwaswas

you just need a bigger lever.

I have a 24″ long breaker bar for this sort of occasion. 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Ah, special tool – bigger hammer or longer bar.

I’ll pop to the LBS at some point and get them to sort it

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

12″ long chain whip, lockring tool located by QR and 12″ adjustable spanner fitted at 180 deg to chain whip. Arrange so you’ll be pushing down to undo, set wheel upright with the spanner and chain whip on the other side of the wheel than you are standing, one hand on each tool, lift the wheel up off the ground and then smack it straight down really hard, leaning on the spanner and chain whip. Never known a lockring withstand more than a couple of shots like that. Mind you don’t go right through and punch the ground when it lets go.
    It’s amazing what a sudden sharp impact will shift that a slow apparently much harder pull won’t

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Robin, I’ve not got a 12″ adjustable, or a 12″ whip 😉

I’ll pop to the shop and get it sorted. Maybe I’ll bring cake or something……

B_Leach
    Free Member

lockring tool in a vice, wheel on top and all of your weight into the chainwhip. It’s how I finally managed to sort a very stuck cassette! Just get your directions right… 😕

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Fair enough. A normal chainwhip will do but the big adjustable or similar fixed spanner is compulsory before really going at it if you want to come away unhurt.
    If you have local shop it’s probably going to be easier.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Second putting the lockring tool in a vice, wheel on top and using the wheel as a lever.

rickon
    Free Member

Done the vice thing already, no joy there – was concerned I was going to destroy the splines as I’m putting a lot of torque through it – rather than a quick mechanical event to free it up.

jairaj

you just need a bigger lever. I had a similar problem, lock ring wouldn’t budge with my small tools. Tried everything, similar to you.

Took it to the LBS, saying it’ll be though / they’ll have to use a lot of force. The guy just smiled at me, got out some long tools and effortlessly got the lock ring off.

I left feeling not very manly at all … 😳

rickon
    Free Member

Took 2 seconds at LBS 🙂 Nice chap, no charge. WIN.

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk was the shop.

wwaswas

You can move the Earth with a long enough lever. 🙂

Glad we could help rickon. 🙂

Not sure if you are in the fairly newly formed Midlothian Cycling Club or not, but thought I’d mention it as they are a great bunch of guys who meet regularly on mountain bikes and road bikes. Club website not up and running yet but you can join the Facebook group.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stuck Cassette’ is closed to new replies.