Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stuck Cassette
  • thwapy
    Free Member

I’ve changed plenty of cassettes before but I am really struggling to undo the lock ring on this one, so much so I’ve just ripped a massive flapper out of my thumb! Anyone got an idea or do I just wing the lot over the fence!!

wwaswas

longer lever on the cassette tool – I’ve got a 2ft long bar I use on the lock ring tool with the chain based tool thingy.

z1ppy

Ouch!
    I have found using the chain tool on the lower end (err I mean the higher gears) of the cassette seems to allow it a better grip, might just be my imagination though.

thwapy
    Free Member

Can I damage it or just give it absolute beans and leaver the hell out of it?

Sitting here with a bandage on thumb and skin etc still stuck in the cassette/chain whip!! It’s on rather tight!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Try a big rubber hammer on the end of the tool and GT85 on the lockring?

Can someone hold you whip – pfnar pfnar 😉 Give you a hand as it were ? 😉

z1ppy

I’m sure some-one suggested nailing an old chain to your workbench, to allow you a free hand whilst doing this. Not sure how they meant it to be setup though…

thebunk

I arrange the two tools in a way so that I can squeeze them together – try it and then when that doesn’t work, wing the whole lot at a wall.

foxyrider
    Free Member

What about putting the lock ring remover in a vice, hold the whip and twist the wheel? or put bars to extend the reach of the chainw hip and lock ring tool? I’d still soak it in penetrating oil for a few hours and come back to it – all else fails use a dremel and cut it into pieces and get a new lockring?

thwapy
    Free Member

Think I might just set fire to it and take up basket work or something, maybe it’s my shiney hope hoops way of telling me it deserves a new cassette, not sure the missus would agree though!

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you live nr exeter then you can pop over and use my tools/vice/arms?

thwapy
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer foxy, LBS sorted it for me in the shop vice. Didn’t charge me a penny. Thanks Redape Bikes !

Couldn’t do much with my thumb though….;-)

wwaswas

I wouldn;t worry. I seem to draw blood at every opportunity.

Most recently with scissors trying to cut a rag so I could wipe my chain down after oiling it – I snipped that bit of skin between thumb and forefinger 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stuck Cassette’ is closed to new replies.