• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stuck Caliper Piston on old skool Hope Minis
  • GrahamS

I’m trying to resurrect an old set of Hope Minis. The original type where the caliper splits in two parts:
    http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2002MINIcaliperexploded.pdf

I have a set of replacement seals and phenolic pistons. But the issue is I can’t get the old pistons out.

They are a bit corroded looking. The seals were all gubbed so no chance of building enough hydraulic pressure to get them out, so I split the calliper and so far I’ve tried pulling at them with pliers, soaking them in diesel, soaking them in WD-40, pressuring with air, heating them over gas, and whacking them with a hammer.

Any other options I should try before giving up on this retro folly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I drilled mine out

Be careful though
    I forget if i split the piston or it cracked or i then pulled it out but it did work and worked afterward
    It tends to spit out big chunks/crack/chip so start of with a small drill and get bigger

GrahamS

Cheers Junky – destructive drilling might be the best way.

GrahamS

Success!

I drilled it and then screwed in a blunted self-tapper until it pushed against the calliper body and got the piston moving.

Cheers Junky.

kcal

yay! to be honest I wilted when faced with same problem last month Graham, and sent mine off to Hope. Came back within the week, sorted with new pads and the rest included.

But yes have a couple of sets of Hope Minis. My first upgrade on my M2 I think.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mine result was considerably more agricultural than your end result

Glad its sorted

GrahamS

Out of interest what did Hope charge you kcal?

I did think about sending them off, but they are ancient and pretty well used, so I figure if I can’t fix them up with the spares I have to hand then I’ll just replace them.

kcal

hi Graham, it was – £45 / 48 I think for the whole service, parts included in service. One brake.

It was actually in decent condition, other than a sticky piston.
    I know that a new Shimano hydro brake would have been about the same (or even less if I got a pair) but I abhor waste (as I know you do) when not much was wrong with it..

GrahamS

Thanks. That’s pretty reasonable given what they charge for the parts and the amount of faffage involved.

And yeah, can’t abide waste. I’d rather fix than buy, even if buying is a much more sensible option.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I was about to suggest using a pair of internal circlip pliers inside the piston to pull it out.
    Glad you got it sorted. They’re so much better with the phenolic pistons.

orangeboy
    Free Member

A track pump works well if you don’t have a compressor , most pumps will grip onto a hope hose fitting .

jamj1974

I like the original Mini brake. Mine were so reliable and had brilliant performance. Great brake. Good to see them still running and appreciated!

Andy-R

I’ve got a set on my Hummingbird – I really like them, maybe not for power but for feel/modulation.

globalti
    Free Member

I’m still using my Hope minis! Got them on the Ti Global, which I’m about to break so all the bits including the Hopes will be going on Eblag.

kcal

One Mini on rear brake of Anne-Marie’s, one on my M2 (front), one soon to go on front of the SS.

Anyone want a Mini rear unit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stuck Caliper Piston on old skool Hope Minis’ is closed to new replies.