Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stuck BB in carbon frame
  • ulvaskar
    Free Member

Trying not to panic here but my Hive / e-thirteen BB (threaded) is completely stuck in my Santa Cruz TRc frame.

I know what direction to turn and have tried to soak it in WD 40 / thin oil.
    I´m afraid that if I put too much force on it, with long lever etc, the inner threaded steel insert will disbond from frame.

Please give me your best advise!
    Thanks

bencooper
    Free Member

There are various tricks including cutting them out, but perhaps a job for a good shop – if you’re anywhere near Glasgow I can have a go.

plus-one

A good bench vice/bb tool inserted and use the whole bike as a lever(very gently) has done every bb I thought would never come out 🙂

ulvaskar
    Free Member

bencooper; thanks, but me and the bike are in Sweden..

Plus one; I´ve heard about this “bike lever” method and just wonder if it OK with carbon frames??

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah, a bit far 😉

The bike lever technique is a good one. Get a good BB tool, and clamp it in using the crank bolt.

And, just to be sure which way you’re turning: with bottom brackets right is left and left is right…

ulvaskar
    Free Member

Problem solved.
    Mixed WD 40 and thin oil and soaked the whole BB area over night.
    Fixated the BB tool from e-thirteen with a long QR so it couldn´t come off when I put the lever /crank to it. Extended the crank with a 90cm long lever and off they came!
    All´s well that ends well. Thanks for support!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stuck BB in carbon frame’ is closed to new replies.