Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stubborn cable rub – A cure I found
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a Cannondale with lots of cables. There’s lots of cable rub opportunities, especially where the cables pass through the lefty and the little stick on protectors weren’t good enough as they were wearing through. I found these,

2mm thick, very sticky indeed, flexible (up to a point)and easy to cut to shape/size. Working really well.

3 quid or so from Wilkinsons.

hambl90
    Free Member

Nice one , think I’ll give them a try.

spooky_b329

The decent fabric backed plasters are also really good for this…someone recommended them to us in Whistler after we discovered a cable rubbing a groove into the BB shell.

Stuck one on and it lasted a good couple of years 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    akira

Velcro sticky stuff also works well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stand off zip ties also work, cut the end off a cable plastic ferrul and run the zip tie round the cable then through that, then round the frame, stands the cable nicely 3mm from the frame

lunge

Noted, they look like a great solution.

sq225917
    Free Member

Park tools inner tube patches, the clear squarish ones, or self-adhesive dacron tape. I get about 6 month out of a piece of that and I heel clip on my stays like buggery- bad enough to wear through the heels on my shoes in about 12 months.

nixie

Sugru works as well. Easy to shape just how you need it as well.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

nixie does the surge stay on though?

mike – pretty nifty, might try that.

zippykona

Mike. Got a picture?

nixie

Long term TBC. Been on 2 months now and still seems fine.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

zippy I think he means something like this

belugabob
    Free Member

If you’re doing a new build, and can thread things over the hoses/cable outers, these take some beating – for function and looks…

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/outer-cable-frame-protectors-4-pack-id_8043647.html

docrobster
    Free Member

I think those decathlon jobbies are split down one side. Zig zag so don’t fall off. I got some recently

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I have some of those outer cable frame protectors from SRAM and they are split… have lost a few mid ride

jamj1974

Nice find OP. I have used the Decathlon ones for a number of years and they are not split down one side – not the ones I used anyway. When I installed them on hydro hoses I did split them and simply superglued them and (Split side out) onto the hose. The functioned excellently.

I am currently trying some spiral-type Fibrax ones and they see to be working well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

An extended version of this

belugabob
    Free Member

I think those decathlon jobbies are split down one side. Zig zag so don’t fall off. I got some recently

They’re not split, which is why you have to thread them over the hose.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stubborn cable rub – A cure I found’ is closed to new replies.