Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Stuart Hall – bit lenient?
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

15 months – 5 months per decade, just over one month per person abused, whichever way this is cut, it does seem a bit light.

Judge already said he sentenced within guidelines in place at the time of the offences. Makes sense in one way, but does not seem to reflect the damage abuse leaves with the victims.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The prosecuting lawyer didn’t have negative comments on the sentence and he was asked directly by Radio 4

The sentences run concurrently so it’s not one month per case as such. A custodial sentence at 83 years of age will not be easy nor will the “fall from grace”. I’m not making light of the offences which were indeed serious.

MSP

The offences do seem to be on the lower end of the scale for what immediately springs to mind when “sex attacks” are reported. On the other hand the youngest victim was 9 and for that alone surely the sentence should be longer, especially tied to the fact that with several victims it is defiantly demonstrated that this was a behavioural trend.

I suspect it will be increased just as soon as DC can work out the best way to maximise his public appeal from announcing a stiffer sentence.

chewkw
    Free Member

He should be probed alien style then be humiliated until he is six feet under.

His assets should be used for compensating the victims.

grim168
    Free Member

I’d double up. He’s had his best years free when he should have been locked up so should serve more time now.

scotroutes

He transferred his £1m pound home into his wife’s name to minimize the payout in the event of any compensation claims too

chewkw
    Free Member

How about feeding him the 10 blue viagar pills everyday for fun while he is in custody … 😈

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

+1 for what Grim says

slackalice
    Free Member

Financial compensation? Looks like the lawyers will be the only winners there.

I would like to think that the victims are compensated by the fact that he has been brought to trial, found guilty and sentenced. Does money ever replace or dissolve the feelings that arise from being a victim of such immoral behaviour?

I’m not sure it does.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Off subject a bit.

Just watching the Simpsons and the Wonga dot com advert just came on.

Stuart Hall’s still doing the voice over on the advert.

Family viewing and a pedo voice over

chewkw
    Free Member

slackalice – Member
    Does money ever replace or dissolve the feelings that arise from being a victim of such immoral behaviour?

No, but then punishment is good.

AdamW
    Free Member

Johnclimber: nah that voice is Nicholas Parsons, I think.

slackalice
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    slackalice – Member
    Does money ever replace or dissolve the feelings that arise from being a victim of such immoral behaviour?

No, but then punishment is good.

slackalice – Member

I would like to think that the victims are compensated by the fact that he has been brought to trial, found guilty and sentenced.

Exactly. Unless you mean that punishing the offender means taking away their financial assets? In which case, how about transferring them to a charitable organisation that provides help and support to victims and their loved one’s?

PJM1974
    Free Member

He’s in his eighties. His victims had to endure years of torment before it all came out.

It would have been far better for all concerned if he’s been caught and stopped way back when. However, I’ll settle to see him in jail and disgrace in his dotage.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

AdamW – Member
    Johnclimber: nah that voice is Nicholas Parsons, I think.

Sorry you’re right and I’m wrong
    https://twitter.com/OpenWonga/status/296181689128984576

Sure does sound like him though

tomd
    Free Member

I think jail is the least of it for him. What matters is when he kicks the bucket, there will be no one writing eulogies about him. No legacy, just live out his years in disgrace.

chewkw
    Free Member

slackalice – Member

Exactly. Unless you mean that punishing the offender means taking away their financial assets? In which case, how about transferring them to a charitable organisation that provides help and support to victims and their loved one’s?

Yes. Exactly that.

But just don’t fall into the trap of hiring more managers to manage the charitable organisation and who demand super high wages …

cb

“One count of rape will lie on the court file”. Anyone know what that means?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Jonnie Marbles ?@JonnieMarbLes 7h
    Three sentences in the last 30 minutes: Graffiti: 3.5 years. Employee steals £180k from boss: 16 months. 14 counts of child abuse: 15 months

Lifer
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    But just don’t fall into the trap of hiring more managers to manage the charitable organisation and who demand super high wages …

MAGGOTS!

poly
    Free Member

cb – Member
    “One count of rape will lie on the court file”. Anyone know what that means?

it essentially means that no further action will be taken. The CPS have agreed not to pursue this. They COULD come back to it later but its v. unlikely they will.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

No but does the fact that he was able to earn a lot of money whilst perpetrating these acts and then subsequently live off these earnings put them close to those of earnings made by illegal activity or is that too grey an area?

MSP

I don’t think there is a cat in hell’s chance of his money being grabbed by the authorities as immoral earnings. And rightly so, however distasteful and gross he may be, the system needs to show the money was earned directly from crime.

Hopefully though damage claims might wipe out a considerable chunk of his fortune.

robdob
    Free Member

“Immoral earnings” can be pursued by POCA – proceeds of crime act. I can use it in my job – you have to prove that the illegal activity itself made money. In my work its generally dealing with waste illegally and making money from it. We have to prove (via seizing their paperwork and doing some sums) exactly how much was earnt during the illegal activity. The judge then says the guilty person has to repay the money he or she earnt or go to prison. Normally given 3 or 6 months to pay.

In SH’s case he didn’t earn any money from what he had been found guilty of so its a non starter.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cb – re the rape charge (it was alleged against 22yr old) I believe his decision to plead guilty to the “lesser” offences came about after the CPS said they wouldn’t pursue the rape – whether this is related to a “plea bargain” we cannot tell. Proving a rape charge from 30 or 40 years ago would have been very very difficult, so realistically the CPS had little choice.

konabunny
    Free Member

POCA was enacted decades after the offences and the offences did not create any proceeds.

Compensation discussion also irrelevant: statutes of limitation have passed for civil claims.

epicyclo

Actually a short sentence may be good. This is a bloke who is used to public acclaim.

Now he’s going to experience the opposite.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Stuart Hall – bit lenient?’ is closed to new replies.