Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Struggling to recover from illness – any tips
  • dannybgoode

As some of you know I had meningitis in February and ever since I’ve been struggling to recover.

My brain doesn’t work properly – I keep forgetting things and when I am having to concentrate my head hurts. I also find it difficult to hold ‘complex’ conversations (by that I mean technical job related conversations, chats with friends where I am having to think at the same time as opposed to idle chatter, pressure situations etc) and can’t focus on tasks at all.

Anyone got any advice on how to deal with such slow recoveries (other than MTFU Crikey! 🙂 )

gonzy
    Free Member

sorry to hear about that Danny. my manager suffered a stroke last april and has gone through pretty much the same thing…but she is starting to make good progress now.
    other than speaking to the medical professionals who are dealing with your recovery the only thing i can say is dont be too hard on yourself and take it one step at a time. hopefully as time goes by things will improve.
    get well soon mate!! 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Can’t help with the recovery I’m afraid, but also sorry to hear about it and will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

grum
    Free Member

Mindfulness/meditation was very helpful to me when recovering from CFS/ME. There’s a free app called Headspace which is really good.

dannybgoode

Thanks all

@grum – I have been meaning to investigate meditation further for some time so now may be a good time to actually do it…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had meningitus when I was 5 and I am still forgetful and not great at concentrating or mental manipulations (my maths ability suffers…), and I am only 45 years into my recovery !

For concentration I keep myself tanked up with green tea.

On the upside I am still alive, although nearly wasn’t several times…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Bloody hell, i had meningitus when i was 13, so that’s why i don’t know what day it is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Struggling to recover from illness – any tips’ is closed to new replies.