Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Struggling to maintain Fitness program and weightloss??
  • renton
    Free Member

Since the end of last year when I got back from Afghanistan I have become lazy and started putting on weight, all my own fault but seriously lacking in any motivation for some reason !!

Now since the start of August I have started going to the gym more and trying to lose a bit of weight but I am really struggling?

What can I do to maintain a routine ? I want to get fit(ter) and lose around 3 stone but I seem to have little or no will power to stay away from crap food (biscuits)

Going to the gym feels like a lot of effort although once ive been I feel a lot better in myself.

I need your help !

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You need to find the fitness regime that works for you and have a goal that isn’t weight loss related.

So try swimming, spinning class. Find a challenge that is outside the comfort zone, how about tough mudder? 10 mile run with obstacles etc that way you HAVE To get fit or you’ll fail. I always find this works for me and that’s also the huge reason I enjoy triathlon as it’s lots of differnet sports then I can also do circuit training, spinning etc keeps it fresh, different, exciting and interesting.

But Outdoor Fitness may give you some good ideas, inspire you to run up Snowdon? Only YOU can motivate yourself, no one else can I’m afraid. Good luck it is hard work on occasions.

Simon

Going to the gym is boring, I think that could be the problem! Find something you enjoy doing.

bearnecessities

Edit: That sounds stupid.

What I meant to ask was are you in the forces? Assuming so, is this more to do with the lack of routine from not being posted?

zilog6128

Weight loss is 90% diet IME. you need to sort that out or you won’t get anywhere. Plus the crap food makes you lethargic which does not exactly help motivation for exercise. Look up the old iDiet threads, this will sort you out (IMO).

waveydave
    Free Member

Best thing i do is enter events for the future, Say for example a 30mile mtb race or enduro next spring. Gets me off the sofa cos i know if i dont attempt at least some training im gonna fail. Also train with a buddy as you are less likely to let your friend down. Do something you enjoy.

renton
    Free Member

Bearnecessities I am in the forces.

When I did my stints out in Afgahn I used the time to train hard then, however when I am home I find that everyday normal life takes over like kids, wife, dog housework etc.

Currently have a lower leg injury so have also been banned from running by the physio which isnt helping !!

I am also doing a job which currently isnt very active which I also find makes me lazy to ! hopefully my imminent posting to Scotland should improve that !

renton
    Free Member

Ive tried following diets etc but never seem to be able to stick to them for longer than a month !!
    Just not sure what is going on with me ??

glupton1976
    Free Member

What worked for me was just going out and firing a lot of miles in on the bike. No cake stops, just flat our beasting on the bike and lots of it.

Or my most recent change – find a gym that is absolutely hoaching and make it your second home. 😀

theotherjonv

Ive tried following diets etc but never seem to be able to stick to them for longer than a month !

Have a look at the 5:2 diet plan. I’m doing it, it works for me, but I’m not getting into any arguments on its pros and cone again. Look it up and decide for yourself.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Top reply from Munqe-chick.

Get a goal, get a plan, get out the door doing something you enjoy

renton
    Free Member

Any chance of a brief overview theotherjonv?

kcr
    Free Member

I think one trick is building exercise into your daily routine, so it is something you have to do, rather than an optional extra you can skip. I find it difficult to train regularly these days, so commuting is what allows me to maintain some fitness. I know that every morning I am going to do a 40 minute ride, and the same on the way home. It’s just part of my routine, and I have to do it, because I don’t have any other way of getting to work!
    Agree with the comments above that gym training without an objective is difficult to get excited about.

theotherjonv
    seavers
    Free Member

Lifestyle change, not just hitting the gym but diet too. Things like portion size make a big difference for me. Get in your head that all those small decisions about what you eat make a big difference in the long run. Nothing is going to happen fast.. no easy fix. Cook from scratch so you are in control of what goes in.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies people!!

Will have a look at the 5:2 thing that has been mentioned!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you enjoy cycling then crack on and do that. You aren’t going to get fit if you aren’t doing any exercise so I guess you’ll have to make time to do it, although that’s probably harder than it sounds.

ampthill

Don’t diet as in fast hard for short periods like 4 weeks. Gradually reduce. Set rules and then stick to them. So start with say no biscuits Monday to Friday. But keep each change small and manageable. Just aim for stable weight and greater fitness to start with. Then cut a bit more food out.

The evidence seems to be that starving yourself for a few months to loose a stone or 2 will make you heavier in the long run

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Struggling to maintain Fitness program and weightloss??’ is closed to new replies.