Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Struggling to find a particular Shimano part…
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

…this one.

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/um/SI-0146A-000-00-ENG.pdf

Can’t find anyone in the UK selling it.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

You want a 180 to 203 adaptor ?. I got one from Chain Reaction only a few weeks ago.

davewalsh
    Free Member

A Hope ‘H’ mount will do the same job without the oddball bolt sizes and daft washers.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Spicystealth, I think (could be wrong) that one is for 203mm rotor going onto 160 mounts.

As thrustyjust says, I need 180 to 203.

sillyoldman

The 160 to 180 PM adaptor should work for that.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks dave

thegreatape
    Free Member

The 160 to 180 PM adaptor should work for that.

But that’s 20mm, not 23mm, and would require the addition of 1.5mm in spacers are washers, which is not OCD-compliant 🙂

spicystealth
    Free Member

get ya

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Surely forks are designed to take a 160 rotor with no adapter . You then have the choice of using a 180 or a 203 adapter depending on your disc size . I wasn’t aware of an adapter from 180 to 203 .

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s what I’d always assumed, but my fork has a 180mm rotor and no adapter, so either times have changed or its magic.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Your fork must be fairly old and have an IS not Post Mount for that to be the case .

thegreatape
    Free Member

Oh must it… 😉

image by thegreatape, on Flickr

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure my 55s or 66s are 180mm direct mount.

orangeboy
    Free Member

36 and others have a 180 post mount

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m not sure cyclistm – that link has the same part number as the document I linked to, but the part looks different. In the questions on the CRC page for that part, a CRC staff member confirms that it’s +40mm (? 43), so I’m pretty sure that one allows 203 rotors on post mounts set for 160.

mickolas
    Free Member

ebay

when i select the 203mm option, the photo shows a part with exactly the shimano code you reference, but as you say, the part itself looks different to the drawing on the shimano docs…

thegreatape
    Free Member

I wonder if the part in the doc I linked is old, and the new part allows the bolts to go all the way through the sticky out bits, allowing this part to use 203 rotors with either 160 or 180 ready posts, bypassing the second pair of holes?

EDIT – maybe not, the doc is June 2014

honourablegeorge

I use that shimano adapter on a 180PM with no issues

mickolas
    Free Member

also found this which is from a US seller, but perhaps you could find this magura version in the UK?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Probably just get the Hope one

mickolas
    Free Member

But isn’t that sort of like admitting defeat?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, but I’m stuck now. I’ve emailed Madison.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I wonder if the part in the doc I linked is old, and the new part allows the bolts to go all the way through the sticky out bits, allowing this part to use 203 rotors with either 160 or 180 ready posts, bypassing the second pair of holes?

Maybe this part does do both scenarios?

mickolas
    Free Member

I just hope having a Hope adaptor doesn’t clash too badly with your lovely shimano brake…only you will know.

Anyway, hope it sorts the “less than impressive” braking issues you’ve been having.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll just have to live with it. Thanks for your help though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just go to your LBS, give them the part number and ask them to order from Madison. Simples.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Did you check the Uberbike adaptors?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I did Neil, it’s either the 160-203 one, or the 160-180 + a washer/shim.

Peter – this is an LBS that concluded that Shimano don’t make a tool to remove the new XTR bottom bracket. That was after 5 mins of looking at the bike and another 10 on the Shimano and Madison websites. Clearly no ordinary bike shop! So if STW can’t find it, I don’t fancy their chances.

neilwheel
    Free Member

EDIT – That does seem like a specific Shimano part, in your PDF link above, otherwise Hope will be your best bet.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It does, I rang uberbike just to check and that’s exactly what they said.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well if anyone still cares, and I don’t think I do anymore, as far as Madison are concerned, the part pictured in my link to the 2014 Service Instructions doesn’t exist!

neilwheel
    Free Member

I know you don’t want to fit spacers but for me, coming from an engineering background it’s a normal part of fitting.

Some M6 stainless washers from somewhere like Screwfix or Ebay will cost a quid or two for 100. They will probably be the thin form, so 0.75mm thick, you will have 96 left for something else, and you can get matching front and rear adaptors assuming you are changing sizes on both discs.

Don’t tell anyone else and it will be really hard to spot those washers.

gonzy
    Free Member

this is the one i ordered for my front brake.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-sm-ma-f-pp-adapter/aid:228768

fork in question is a 2013 Marzocchi 55CR with a Zee front brake. i ordered the 203mm version and it went on perfectly.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looks like your forks are set for 185mm PM, judging by the lack on wear on the inner edge of the braking surface on your 180mm disc.
    So I’d just go for a PM to PM +20mm adaptor and use a 203mm disc. I’ll bet you it’ll be reet with no spacers required.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks again for those last suggestions.

I think I have managed to order most of CRCs stock of adapters, including some Hope ones and the 20mm Shimano ones, so I’ll grab some of those washers too and spend my days off pandering to my fussiness 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Struggling to find a particular Shimano part…’ is closed to new replies.