Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Struggling to find a 130mm 650b full sus
  • drovercycles
    Free Member

I’ve had their smuggler out myself.

What did you make of it? It’s the one I’m most looking forward to getting in, to be honest.

mjsmke

Anyone know much about the Giant Trance 1 with dual position revs? Looks amazing value and quite like the frame.

mjsmke

Right I’d made my mind up to go with the Whyte T130s and it turns out I can get hold of the T130 Works in a sale for not much more over my budget. Now I know it’s a better bike but is it worth stretching my budget a little to get it?

I keep trying to justify it by telling myself I haven’t bought myself a new bike for years and have recently really got back into it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    drovercycles
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll end up disappointed if you go with a better-specced bike than you envisaged. I’ve never heard of anyone saying “I wish I’d bought a lesser bike”. If you can afford it, and especially if it’s a good deal, I don’t think you’ll wish you’d bought the cheaper one.

Have you test-ridden that bike though? I wouldn’t buy a bike based on what some people on the internet said.

ceepers

Sure you will love it!

Worth considering that the works is single ring specific, if that’s ok for you then go for the works I’d say

dvowles82
    Free Member

It’s an awesome bike and WELL worth the upgrade over the S version. Wheelset, fork, brakes, 1×11 drivetrain, saddle are all markedly better.

Careful with sizing without test riding. What is your height and inside leg?

mjsmke

I’m 5ft5 and ride a small Specialized currently.

I need to pay a small deposit to get one into the store before full payment. Theres no demos anywhere near me to test ride.

I should be fine with 1×11. I’m ridding a 2×9 with 26/38 x 11-34 and rarely use the granny ring.

dvowles82
    Free Member

I expect you’ll fit well on the small. Medium might be that bit big but it’ll be borderline, so may be worth a capark pedal on both.

Sancho
    Free Member
    mjsmke

The Sarecens nice too. I did look at their site the other day but keep going back to the whyte.

toomba
    Free Member

Didn’t think it would be possible to get a T130 in a sale! What kind of deal are you being offered if you don’t mind me asking??

mjsmke

Just seen the price of an 11 speed cassette! I hope they last a while.

mjsmke

Just seen the price of an 11 speed cassette! I hope they last a while. Or hopefully there will be more cassettes to choose from. Cheapest ive seen is 169.99!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

They quite often don’t, depending on use. Cheapest way is to get a bike fitted with a 10 speed shimano set up, and modify it with One Up Components stuff to give it extra range.

mjsmke

Would the cost of a replacement 11 speed cassette put anyone off a particular bike? The range is fine but the price od the cassette is silly. I guess i could always sell the shifter and buy a 10 speed shifter and cassette if prices dont come down.

dvowles82
    Free Member

No. I’m sure by the time it wears out, IF it does, it’ll have gone down in price a fair bit anyway. It’s relatively new technology but it won’t be in a year or so

mjsmke

Also does anyone know if Shimano and Sram cassettes are comparable still? Or do they now use a different fitting/freehub with the 11 speed stuff?

mjsmke

So I thought I’d let you all know what I went with in the end…

Got an amazing deal on this. 2.4k. Picked it up last night from a LBS who even offered to set the tyres tubeless for me for no extra cost. Kept the tubes too.

Very impressed with the ride. Climes like my old 100mm FSR. Feels very well balanced and descends excellently making me much more confident. The 1×11 setup is nice. Slick shifting and no chain slap. I kept looking down thinking “theres still more gears to go” on climbs and fast road sections. New to Sram kit so was unsure how it would feel but impressed. The X1 lever just feel right with a positive feel and solid ‘clicks’. Guide RS brakes feel good too. Loads of modulation with plenty of power when you need it.

Monarch shock with it’s 3 compression settings works well too. The difference between ‘open’ and ‘pedal’ is subtle useful. Lockout has a bit of give which I like. Pikes feel smooth but i need to play around with the settings as they felt a bit harsh and dived a fair bit. Maybe they just need to bed in?

Thanks for all the help and reccomendations!

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Struggling to find a 130mm 650b full sus’ is closed to new replies.