Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Struggling to create a system repair disk in W7
  • molgrips
    Free Member

This is doing my head in. What I want to do is restore a system image.

To do that I need to create a system repair disk image on bootable USB, since I don’t have a CD drive on this computer. But the system image creation tool needs to write to a CD or DVD.

So I tried creating a virtual CD writer using Kernsafe total mounter, which created an IMG file, then I used Magic ISO to convert it to an ISO. This seemed to work except the Win USB boot disk creator from MS got to 99% complete then failed. The resulting USB was bootable but gave me error messages about missing files when I tried to restore a system image.

I tried downloading a repair disk from MS and the USB tool complained it was an invalid ISO although Magic ISO read it fine.

Any other ideas? This is the only 32 bit machine I have so I can’t use any other machine.

Cougar

If the restore image is good, you shouldn’t need a disc. F8 on boot will get you to the factory reset option via “Repair.”

If the restore image isn’t good, then a recovery CD isn’t going to help you with a rebuild. I’d download the full .ISO in that case, if I were you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah I did not know you could restore an image with F8! I love you Cougar.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Got me all wrong there, dude. (-:

molgrips
    Free Member

Er.. bro…

molgrips
    Free Member

Bollocks.

You can go through the motions to restore from image, but then it says that you can’t continue to run the recovery bit from the same partition you want to restore the image to.

I think I’ve figured out what that recovery boot partition is for, and that I don’t have one on this PC for some reason.

Cougar
    molgrips
    Free Member

Macrium Reflect did the trick.

The problem was that Windows repair thingy thought my system image was corrupted. So on the internet I found the suggestion to mount the system image VHD, then use Macrium to create a Macrium image of it. It also gives you a nicely customised version of WinPE that has a lovely gui for managing backup images. Top stuff.

So, I’ve used it to upgrade the very slow HD in my very slow Sony Vaio P series to SSD, by means of a cheap and very fast mSata SSD. The drive is so fast and the CPU so slow that the disk light flickers every so often and the CPU is flat out. So some stuff is way quicker but some stuff is still just as slow!

Managed to install W10 on it now though which is a strange and slightly frustrating experience.. With a crap hd and W7 this thing was so simple and slow I just did the bare minimum of stuff to keep it chugging along. However now I want to explore W10 and all its features, and it’s encouraging me to do all sorts of things which is making it run rather hot!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Struggling to create a system repair disk in W7’ is closed to new replies.