Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Strongman/lady car deadlifts
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Suppose this is more of a physics question really. What would be the equivalent weight be lifting as a conventional deadlift.
    The car is a peugeot 206 and is on a lifting jig.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BWP5HSWDLK5/

Not lifting the whole car and lifting the light end of the car? So can any maths boffins come up with an approximate weight?
    You don’t win a prize I’m just curious

Duffer
    Free Member

The car weighs just over a ton in road going form (If we assume it hasn’t been stripped). I don’t know what the weight distribution is, but it’ll clearly be well under 50:50.

It’s also at the end of a 2-metre lever.

She’s very quick to extend, and you’ll notice how her shoulders shrug at the top; you’d not be able to do that with a heavy load. I suspect she’s well inside own her capacity lifting that. It looks impressive (which is clearly the objective) but it’s pretty meaningless, in my opinion.

footflaps

Looks like the lever is giving roughly a 4:1 mechanical advantage (based on distance moved).

So 1000kg car, say 60:40 weight distribution, so back end roughly 400kg, 4:1 lever ratio means it’s very roughly equivalent to a 100kg deadlift, which really isn’t that impressive (I was warming up with 5×100 kg DLs this morning in the gym and I’m no power lifter).

cbike
    Free Member

3 wheels 3 tyres and a rear axle. Whatever fuel is left in the tank. There is not much else in a 206.

Add in the lever and we could probably all manage it.

lunge

No idea on the answer but just spotted where it is and it’s the gym my wife uses. That’s not her though, but I know she has lifted it and she’s no power lifter.

Edit, and that car is sort of stripped. It has an engine but there’s not much else in there.

epicyclo

Used to park my old mini in tight spots by driving in nose first at a right angle, then lifting the back round. Probably the bulk of the weight was around the front axle region, so it wasn’t really that difficult.

No idea about that Peugeot though.

maccruiskeen

You can’t see the whole car or the whole apparatus for lifting it but it looks like the lever is acting more like a pry bar, so the car weight isn’t pivoting around the front wheels as it would be if you just bolted a handle directly to the car.

hot_fiat

Yep, the lever pivosts about 50cm in front of the rear wheels. 125kg deadlift at absolute max, assuming it weighs 1000kg, with a 50:50 split (its not) and she’s 2m from the pivot. My guestimate is 80kg.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Would be more fun to see if you can bench it

twinw4ll
    Free Member

You lot feeling a bit emasculated?
    I’ve frequented that gym and that’s a nice solid lift regardless of gender.

footflaps

I’ve frequented that gym and that’s a nice solid lift regardless of gender.

Given the only reason to do that rather than a conventional DL is to show off, lifting a small proportion of the car’s weight does seem a bit daft (to me). It’s a bit like “look at me”… “not lifting that much”. I’d be more impressed if she just deadlifted properly.

maccruiskeen

Not at all – I never been to a gym. I only lift heavy stuff if theres someone I can invoice afterwards. 🙂

It looks like as fun a way to exercise as anything else you can do indoors (with your pants on) but the person in the video can’t possibly be lifting the whole car (well they are moving the whole car) so the OP was trying to gather what they are lifting and there are levers and fulcrums and all sorts of other things I’ve forgotten about at play. I don’t doubt its considerable effort- but I also recognise that we don’t live in the Marvel Universe.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Whilst it looks impressive it is a bit showy. I was more impressed by a lass at my gym who deadlifted 115 kg (trap bar) at the weekend.

She had part of her leg amputated earlier this year.

km79
    Free Member

Given the only reason to do that rather than a conventional DL is to show off

Or maybe it’s just a bit of fun, a novelty to entice some folk into lifting.

bigyim
    Free Member

Well I tried it today and it’s a lot heavier than it looks. The fact there is about five 20kg bars in the boot probably doesn’t help.
    I managed 5 reps but it’s weigh more than 100kg (see what I did there)

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Just looks like a trap bar dead lift, can’t say i feel too sniffy about it
    Whatever motivates folk, beats eating crap and binge watching tv.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Strongman/lady car deadlifts’ is closed to new replies.