• This topic has 237 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 238 total)
  • STW Stronglifts 5×5 club
  • BillOddie

Out of interest what are everyone’s numbers?

All 5×5
    Deadlift = 162.5kg
    Squat = 147.5kg
    Bench = 132.5kg

I have maxed out on linear progression and am now following undulating periodisation.

wallop

Sloooooowly getting back into the gym. Starting at the bottom, so today’s numbers:

Squat – 30kg
    Overhead Press – 17.5kg
    Deadlift – 50kg

😆

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

BillOddie I can only presume you are skipping overhead press as it’s too tough for you? 😆

curiousyellow
    Free Member

12 weeks of off and on for 5×5

Squat 70kg
    Deadlift 80kg
    Bench 52.5kg
    OHP 30kg (using dumbbells as I have a very marked strength imbalance and want to work on it)
    dB row 15kg

I’m 67kg wringing wet.

Close to bodyweight for the squat seems to be where I stall. I think it’s a mental thing. Longer rest periods must be the key but my last workout took nearly 90 minutes so I’m de-loading this week in the hope that I’ll come back stronger!

BillOddie

BillOddie I can only presume you are skipping overhead press as it’s too tough for you?

Oh Yeah!
    OHP = Dumbbells due to height constaints – 30kg per hand done unilaterally. 5×5 obvs.

Body weight 100kg

footflaps

I always start with a bare bar when squatting and work up from there.

Same here, never know what state my abductors are in, they always seem to want to do too much work and I’ll tear them if I started off heavy. They switch off a bit once my glutes warm up…..

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ve changed, about 3 months ago, to Lyle McDonalds Generic Bulking Routine. I wish I had changed a year ago, my gains have been phenomenal (in the grand scheme of things) compared to my time on stronglifts. Lifts have gone up every week, on at least one exercise.

I don’t personally think 5×5 brings enough volume. The volume f**ked me at first but now i’m used to it and it’s great.

Lyle McDonald’s Bulking Routine

80kg squat, 62.5kg bench, I forget the other stuff without looking. I am not born to lift weights, so i’m stoked on these numbers currently.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have given up for the time being. I’m trying to focus on eating less and doing more low intensity over the winter for a bit of base training.

I think if I try big weights whilst trying to diet I will get fatigued. So I will try stuff like KB swings instead. I don’t think 5×5 is compatible with dieting. Maybe I could do 20 reps at a time of low weights, that might help weight loss?

BillOddie

I think if I try big weights whilst trying to diet I will get fatigued. So I will try stuff like KB swings instead. I don’t think 5×5 is compatible with dieting. Maybe I could do 20 reps at a time of low weights, that might help weight loss?

Cut back on volume not the weight.

You want to preserve muscle mass and a positive hormonal environment whilst you lean out. The best way to do this is lift heavy weights. Cut back on the volume and accessory work to make sure you don’t burn out.

You shouldn’t burn out if you’re only cutting 300 cals or so from your daily intake.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cut back on the volume and accessory work to make sure you don’t burn out.

Isn’t 5×5 already low volume?

Currently working in Swindon where there is no PureGym so I’d have to limit it to Friday and Sunday or something. This is at the same time as trying to ride 6-8hrs a week of low(er) intensity.

Duffer
    Free Member

I start with a set of 5 on an empty bar, and move up in 20kg increments. So by the time ibe reached my working weight, I’ve already done 6 sets of 5. Then I’ll do my 5×5 at working weight.

I’m not an expert, but 55 reps feels like plenty of volume for me!

footflaps

Isn’t 5×5 already low volume?

Wendler 5 3 1 is lower volume. I know some people doing 5 3 1 just once a week and improving week on week. No idea how that works..

edward2000
    Free Member

That’ll be the stretch shortening cycle.

I always start with a bare bar when squatting and work up from there.
    I always get 5-6 warm up sets in before my working sets.

Nothing good comes from skipping warm up sets.

I warm up by doing an 800m row. Squat holding 10kg x 5, squat with the 20kg bar and no weight. Then add 20kg plates for another 5 or 6 reps, then start the main lift with another 20kg plates totalling 100kg – after stretching my gluteus, quads, hip flexor and hamstrings.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

With squats for my work set of 70kg, I start with 4×60, 3×65, and then into the work set.

Deadlifts, for a work set of 80, I do 3×65, 2×70, 1×75 and into the work set.

My flexibility is good, so maybe it lets me get away with a shorter warm up. If I started with the bar and worked my way up I’d be working out to around 2 hours at a time which isn’t really doable right now.

Also, looking at some other people’s numbers, mine aren’t huge so maybe as strength builds I’ll have to start doing a more extended warm up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Downloaded a 531 app, let’s see how I get on.

My 5×5 workouts started fairly short, but when it started to get hard I increased the rest as directed and I ended up in the gym for 90 mins which was a pita.

At this stage I only care about fat loss whilst maintaining strength for cycling, so I think what I need is a ‘positive hormonal environment’.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Does everyone’s weight included the bar @20kg?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Out of interest what are everyone’s numbers?

been a real on/off kind of year, few kgs down of best:

squat 130 5×5
    dead 170 5×5
    bench 40 dbs 3×5

Aiming to keep weight and get back to 3×10 on bench.

I’ll probably go back to 3×10 as a general thing soon. 5 reps is ok, but 10 works a little better for me.

IME any setup that gets between 30 and 60 seconds of a set is good.

footflaps

Does everyone’s weight included the bar @20kg?

I would sincerely hope so, meaningless otherwise.

wallop

Er, yes.

retro83
    Free Member

Well I took the advice of the app so I’m starting basically from scratch again, and concentrating on getting form right.

These are all including the bar@20, as in the app

squat 30
    bp 30
    row 30
    ohp 20
    dl (1×5) 40

Depressing/embarrassing to go backwards but hoping it’ll benefit in the long term.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Working on form is never time wasted if it stops you getting injured.

Also, numbers are meaningless if you’re not posting your own weight up too! A 50kg person putting up a 100kg DL is a lot more impressive than a 100kg person DL-ing 100kg.

Personally, once I’m past the bodyweight for lifts mark I struggle to hit all the reps for the bigger lifts, especially on a deficit. Remember Stronglifts is a beginner program. You’re probably better off finding a more nuanced program to fit with your goals and the time available if you’ve plateaued.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m not doing 5×5 proper due to complex injury management but current numbers are:

Squat 5×5: 75kg
    Bench 8×3: 50kg (lower weight higher reps as the AC joint recovers)
    Deadlift 5×5: 100kg

(Do I write my reps x sets the wrong way around?)

I’m 80kg. I’m just changing my squat over to low bar and taking some time of the deadlift to sort out my SI joint (which is really holding me back, the power is there to lift a lot more but my lower back suddenly yelps at me!). Enjoying bench though!

I’ve got into properly warming up – yoga, stretching, and ramping up from an empty bar in roughly 5-10kg steps, only 2-3 reps of each (apart from the first light set). Bits with bands too. I really don’t care what people think now, even if I’m the weirdo in tights doing yoga on the lifting platform. 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Also, I’ve taken to filming the odd set – it shows you a lot about your form, sometimes reassuringly so, sometimes gives you a lot to work on!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m 80kg right now.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Rest and stronglifts then. Do you guys do much other exercise inbetween sessions? I haven’t commuted to work on my bike for two days (20km each day total) and i feel alot fresher at the gym right now doing squats !

teasel
    Free Member

Fierce Five is a good alternative to Stronglifts if you consider yourself a beginner. Just a little bit more interesting and a little bit more back work.

molgrips
    Free Member

Deadlift 5×5: 100kg

That’s a lot. Stronglifts suggests 1×5 for DLs and justifies it on the website. When I ignored that and tried 5×5 DLs I found it pretty draining.

Do you guys do much other exercise inbetween sessions?

I found Stronglifts when it started to get heavy would take a fair bit out of me. Riding made it hard.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah its starting to take it out of me now. Last weekend I went downhilling all day Saturday then was cutting up fallen trees on Sunday. That coupled with with the commuting and stronglifts meant i was really feeling fatigued by Tuesday. May have to plan to rest more

molgrips
    Free Member

Aaand I’ve just come back to the gym after 3 months. Would rather be out riding by I had to go to the shop too and I’ve got work too.

Stupid place to be on such a fab day.

teasel
    Free Member

Give Fierce Five a go, Molgrips. I remember you complaining of boredom with Stronglifts so perhaps it’ll keep your attention for a little longer.

Google it – you should easily be able to get you head around the programme.

molgrips
    Free Member

I downloaded a 531 app so will give it a try, looking for something as quick and low volume as possible. If that doesn’t appeal I’ll take a look teasel.

Did 1/2 my previous weights today and feel rather like jelly. But that might’ve been the 50 kb swings too 🙂

footflaps

That’s a lot. Stronglifts suggests 1×5 for DLs and justifies it on the website. When I ignored that and tried 5×5 DLs I found it pretty draining.

Yep, probably the most draining exercise there is. I normally build up in 5s then swap to singles and ramp up until I can’t lift any more / don’t want to suffer any more. Normally the latter, I stop when I can’t face bracing that much any more.

craig24
    Free Member

Is there a decent app for fierce 5 like the stronglifts one?

teasel
    Free Member

Googling found this…

https://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=24341

…but I have no experience of either as I don’t have a smartphone etc.

There’s a comprehensive (and somewhat exhaustive) thread on the Bodybuilding.com forum where various questions are asked of the guy that apparently developed the workout. If you have issues with any of the exercises due to physical issues or equipment limitations it might be worth a read. I warn you – I remember it being a lengthy read and it probably hasn’t got any shorter. 🙂

Edit : Thread…

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Edit 2 : Reviews of that app sound like it’s not too hot. Easy enough to do without any of that stuff, tho.

molgrips
    Free Member

Quite tempted to try more reps of lighter weights for DLs as I quite like doing them. For a calorie burner rather than strength gainer. Like KBs.

footflaps

You could try Dianne (CF workout), 3 rounds of:

Deadlifts and Handstand push ups (21 reps of each 1st round, then 15, then 9).

Standard weight is 100kg DL, but scale to whatever you want.

Will make you sweat….

Duffer
    Free Member

Within spitting distance of my 1.5xBW squat target! Managed 3×5 yesterday, so plenty of rest this weekend and I’ll have another stab next week.

Still 15 kg short of my 2xBW deadlift target, but moving in the right direction.

chiefgrooveguru

Useful thoughts on 5×5 deadlifts – it does get hard to brace properly on the last few sets, so I’ll change my approach when I return to them. When going up to a working weight, what increments would you do?

The last time I did them I did: 40kgx5, 60×2, 80×2, 100×2, 110×5, 100x5x4.

So maybe 40×5, 60×5, 80×5, 90×5, 100×1, 110×1, 115×1?

I was doing bench and squats today. Getting more comfortable with low bar – there’s a niggle in my left shoulder like the bar is activating a trigger point but apart from that it suits me way better than high bar. Got up to 75×5 and did one rep of 80. Everything feels like it’s driving better and once I’m more balanced I feel I’ll be able to push quite a bit more.

Replacing deadlifts I’ve been doing various delightful core things like kettlebell windmills and getting my overhead press and barbell rows working again. And single leg deadlifts which really test my lower back’s current problem.

molgrips
    Free Member

So I’ve been wondering why I lost so much weight over the summer holiday whilst doing nothing. It was like 3kg in 3 weeks.

Could it have been the fact I stopped lifting? As if my body was doing something like retaining water to help the muscle rebuilding or something and then I no longer needed it? Or some sort of hormonal effect?

My body fat percentage also dropped from 16 to 14, according to the calipers. If this is a thing, then maybe periodisation of weight training is also a thing for fat loss?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Callipers are notoriously unreliable. Book a DEXA scan if you want real numbers.

Are you sure you always weighed yourself at the same time every day? A 3kg loss in 3 weeks is a deficit of over a 1000 kcal per day. Are you constantly hungry?

I usually find there is some water retention if I’ve eaten a lot of salt/sugar and I’m not keeping on top of my hydration. Alcohol also drives my water retention way up.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘STW Stronglifts 5×5 club’ is closed to new replies.