Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • strongest or most robust 29r rims?
  • ton

in the past i have used kris holm unicycle rims and some salsa ones which i cant remember the name of.

is there anything new which is as strong?

Big-Pete
    Free Member

I am looking at the hope enduro rims.
    Hey up, why do you need strong rims for your anorexic shape?? 😉

Baldysquirt

Those velocity blunt rims look very robust and stiff, for not too much of a weight or cost penalty.

nedrapier

Something fatish? Duallies, maybe?

You might appreciate the other advantages alongside the sturdiness?

Edit – posts crossed – thinking along the same lines!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Pacenti dl31

MSP

light bicycle 35mm hookless, built up in a 36 spoke wheel.

federalski
    Free Member

I can vouch for my Mavic tn719’s as a bit of a lanky biffer. They’ve never needed trued in a couple of 1000 miles and have survived a few good crashes. One crash was into a gate at speed when my brakes failed and it actually passed through my head before I crashed heavily ” Christ, I’m gonna need a new wheel…” but it survived.

ton

hey up Pete…..how you going mate?

thanks for the idea’s. the velocity look ideal for the cash.

Clobber
    Free Member

Flow EX

weeksy

Assuming you don’t have an intention of going Tubeless, would that be a reason not to go for Flow-ex rims ?

pipiom
    Free Member

Just got a set of Ryde Trace Enduro 29’s ….32mm wide look great…..being built as we speak…updates will follow on durability

niksnr
    Free Member

WTB Frequency i25 29 rim. Only 5g heavier thanks Stans but stronger with 25mm internal width at nearly half the price. All my bikes now built with WTB rims. Only good things to report here.

nedrapier

realised my post earlier might not have been clear!

Velocity Dually – like the Blunt 35, but wider still.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Ive got the Roval Traverse Fatties on my Enduro and they are fantastic. 30mm wide, strong and lightwwight.

Clobber
    Free Member

Assuming you don’t have an intention of going Tubeless, would that be a reason not to go for Flow-ex rims ?

What?

aracer
    Free Member

I hope it’s OK to hijack a bit just in case anybody has any thoughts. I’d like a wideish 29er rim, but not something too heavy or too wide – not all that bothered about ultimate strength – hence ruling out the KH rim and similar. However I want to run rim brakes and there appears to be pretty much no availability of anything wider than 19mm internal (which is what I currently have) apart from KH/Nimbus, which as mntioned above are wider and heavier than I want. What are anybody’s thoughts on getting something like the WTB Frequency mentioned above, which has nice parallel sidewalls and removing the stickers / sanding down the “brake surface”?

Gotama
    Free Member

Weeksy – A flow will work fine with a tube.

Original question – The Velocity blunts are good rims, stiffer than flows in my opinion but that may down to the build as the flows were hopehoops whilst the blunts were built by justridingalong. Had mine a while, they’ve taken a battering under my 99kg bulk and remain true, despite a couple of gravity endure races whilst fitted to my old yelli screamy. The paint doesn’t seem to be the greatest and has a tendency to flake but they may have changed this now as mine were from when they were branded a P35. However, as has been said above, if you’re going to run 2.4 tyres or bigger then duallys are worth a look. Noticeably stiffer again and really give a 2.4 ardent a huge profile.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Just built up some Kris Holm Freeride rims, they seem absolutely rock solid, get em!

ton

ordered some kris holms. better the devil you know……. 😆

takisawa2

What are you building then Ton…? 😕

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Awesome! Hope you got the freeride ones, I think those ones are much stronger 🙂 oh and better the devil? Never heard that one before!

ton

better the devil, as in, i have had some before, and know how good they are.

dont know what to build yet, so far i have some renthal bars, hope hubs and just ordered the rims.
    not much to be going on with…….. 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Haha ive got a full new cx bike it bits to build after buying those stis from you for my other bike 😉

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Haha awesome, the do seem pretty dang tough I’m loving the retro look of em. I actually built up an ECR and I gotta tell ya, it’s pretty awesome, I’d have a go with one of those, a go everywhere and anywhere bikepacking rig. They say the ECR is for going beyond civilasation, maybe build an ultra heavy duty bikepacking rig? Lol that’s what I’ve done it’s on mtbr if ya wanna check it out (don’t think anyone here will appreciate me posting it on STW LOL) 🙂

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Hope Enduro here, on an Inbred. I’ve given the thing some death and they’re still straight and true after 5 months. Can’t read anything about their wheels though. Would have thought the hype would have been massive, but quite the opposite.

simonjj
    Free Member

pipiom, any update on the Ryde’s? Just ordered a pair for my new build.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘strongest or most robust 29r rims?’ is closed to new replies.