Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Strong spokes
  • ruggerbugger
    Free Member

It’s getting tedious replacing the spokes, so I’m after some strong spokes(weight not an issue as I’m a lump!!!).
    What do the oracles on STW recommend for my rebuilding?
    Many thanks & seasons greetings 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

More spokes and making sure they’re at a high enough tension is the real answer – and decent DB spokes of course.

ton

sapim strongs.

https://ct231482.c-pos.co.uk//current/retailers/je/je_james_cycles/images/product/prod_50380.jpg

on wheels built by spa cycles Harrogate.
    never had a breakage

nedrapier

As bencooper above, as I understand it, extra thickness doesn’t add anything if you’re already in “sensible” rather than “superlight” gauge.

Thick, straight gauge spokes aren’t able to soak up as much shock by stretching, and transfer more forces to the elbows, where spokes tend to break.

scotroutes

If you’ve had a few go on a wheel them it’s probably time to get it rebuilt with new spokes all round. You don’t have to go for anything mega burly, just a good build.

welshfarmer

26″ ? Buy my wheelset from the classified and wave goodbye to broken spokes 🙂

nickscots1
    Free Member

It’s spoke nipples that tend to fail, and from fatigue. So brass nipples last longer and stainless spokes.

orangeboy
    Free Member

We use Dt alpine 3 for tandam wheels. They are a little fatter at the elbow but still butted
    But mostly brass nipples spokes of the right length and even tension

epicyclo

Get a wheel with more of them.

I’ve always preferred 36 spoke wheels to 32 or less.

If you’re a really huge lump, you can always go to 40 spokes with some wheel builds.

And always double butted spokes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Strong spokes’ is closed to new replies.