• This topic has 48 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Roly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Strong seatposts
  • desboy3
    Free Member

Looking for a decent seat post for my mk1 Blue Pig so its a 27.2mm post. Had a couple but they keep bending thus not letting me drop my saddle down when I feel the need. Both have been 400mm but when in use not anywhere near the minimum insertion point. So recommendations please!

jonathan
    Free Member

What posts did you bend? (Just to get a feel for your “bending capacity”)

desboy3
    Free Member

Race Face Atlas and a Superstar one. Certainly capacity for bending the ss one was high as its fairly new!

khegs
    Free Member

Thompson? I’ll be impressed if you bend one of them

alaric

I’ve bent Thomson!

Try Blackspire. One of mine is 6 or 7 years old and still perfectly straight.

lardman
    Free Member

easton Vice? not bent mine, and thats a miracle for me. Also Race Face evolve DH?

Both great clamp systems too, and not too expensive.

Lummox

Dont buy a ragley spike, first one bent, second the bonding between head and post broke so now head swivels. Should’ve just got the thomson in the first place.

Radioman

I’ve been through 2seats on my the same thompson post …..they were Ti railed Bel Air ones. Now I’m using chromoly bel air. So far so good! I do think Thompson very strong versus their weight. I use the straight base model Thompson not the curvy ones.

rOcKeTdOg

bending seatposts? maybe your frame is too small or you’ve been at the pies once too often?

messiah
    Free Member

2nd the Blackspire.

ads678

My ragley spike has started swiveling as well. Although it did get stuffed up my arse on a very poor landing the other week!! Up till then it was fine….

davewalsh
    Free Member

-1 for the Ragley spike, the head of mine has started swivelling after 2 months.

The best post I’ve used is the Nukeproof Warhead. Never bent mine (27.2 on an Inbred) and I’m 18st !

skywalker
    Free Member

Lay off the pies and stand up more

jonathan
    Free Member

I was going to say Nukeproof Warhead too – definely very solid for the money

mboy
    Free Member

alaric, how the hell does one bend a Thomson?!?! Fair play, that’s some abuse you must’ve given it… I’ve bent a fair few cheaper seatposts in ths past, but never a Thomson which is why they’re always a default fit for me on any bike, even if they’re not the lightest or the most pimp etc.

skywalker
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a Hope Eternity, can’t fault it. Anodizing is very tough, its well made, looks good, and its very easy to adjust.

Northwind

mboy – Member

alaric, how the hell does one bend a Thomson?!?!

Seems to be pretty common, I’ve had 2 used ones and both were slightly bent, known it happen to a couple as well- albeit one on a dh bike and one under a fat lad. Maybe a lesser seatpost would have snapped, or maybe they’re just overrated, who knows?

GW
    Free Member

The latter.

_tom_
    Free Member

Thomson every time for me. Didn’t bend mine even when I was an 18-19 stone biffer riding sat down too much. And that’s a 26.8mm one with loads of post out the frame. I bent both a DMR one and an NC17 empire pro, which apparently has similar construction to a thomson with the oval shaped innard.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh look GW taking the opposing view once more. How predictable.
    I’ve bent a number of posts in the last 22 years. The only ones that haven’t were an original syncros and 2 Thomson’s.

GW
    Free Member

Oh, look… “Bigyinn” still bearing his long term grudge over being proven wrong in another discussion on the inrerwebz, how pre…. 😉

FWIW I’m not taking an opposing view, I’m simply being realistic. Heralding any seatpost as “un-bendable” is “overrating” it! and in this respect Thomson seatposts are one of the most overrated products on the market, doesn’t mean they are not a good product, they are indeed both strong and fairly light but most (even cheap) seatposts of around the same weight will also bend before they snap.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few Thomsons bend and break, they are not unbreakable.

crikey
    Free Member

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. Archimedes

So with a chubby lad on a long seatpost sticking out of a tiny frame, because it’s more ‘chuckable’ and bending will occur.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I have cracked a thomson post and and so has my racing snake friend who weighs 62kg – I weigh 72kg – we have used seatpost mounted racks on them so maybe that caused the failure…

however I would agree thomson is over rated – nice products but they do have a lifespan….

paul

skywalker
    Free Member

So with a chubby lad on a long seatpost sticking out of a tiny frame, because it’s more ‘chuckable’ and bending will occur.

Gotta love that “I bought a size smaller because its more chuckable”

BS!

skywalker
    Free Member

Double post

Suggsey
    Free Member

varying between 17 and 18 stone on a long travel hardtail have bent seat rails-touch wood- still not bent or snapped my Thomson seat post. Been running them ever since I bought a £20 replacement on a new bike and it bent first ride. I can only suggest that some folk that are managing to break Thomson posts are landing really heavy on them or are not out the saddle as much as perhaps they should be on really rough sections or the posts are getting fatigued being dropped and extended using a mud grinding paste.

rOcKeTdOg

skywalker

Double post

Well., it’d be stronger

stug456
    Free Member

had a truvativ stylo race 27.2 400mm. not a bad post. replaced due to swapping from +20mm to inline.

inline thompson is 410mm and therefore more tube in the frame.
    like its design a lot!

so far no problems on same bike

alaric

I’m 6’2 with fairly long legs, and weigh 120kg.

Since I can’t afford a custom frame, even the biggest stock frames need a 400mm+ seatpost to get the saddle in the right place.

That’s a lot of leverage and a good test of a seatpost.

I’ve just snapped an Eternity, 27.2. Hope replaced it under warranty but only with a 350mm – when I queried it they said they’d had problems with 400mm at the smaller diameter, so have discontinued it…

Blackspire have it right, though…

bigyinn
    Free Member

GW – Member

Oh, look… “Bigyinn” still bearing his long term grudge over being proven wrong in another discussion on the inrerwebz, how pre….
    There’s no grudge, I just think you could be a little less arrogant and condescending in your postings. 😉

messiah
    Free Member

Here is my Blackspire as it was in my Balfa Minuteman… surprisingly the frame died before the seatpost did :mrgreen:

bigyinn
    Free Member

Well one or both would have died eventually!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Controltech team issue

mboy
    Free Member

I’m 6’2 with fairly long legs, and weigh 120kg.

That might have something to do with it!

Heralding any seatpost as “un-bendable” is “overrating” it! and in this respect Thomson seatposts are one of the most overrated products on the market, doesn’t mean they are not a good product, they are indeed both strong and fairly light but most (even cheap) seatposts of around the same weight will also bend before they snap.

I don’t think anyone mentioned them being unbendable, a couple of us have mentioned how we’d be impressed to see someone managed to bend one agreed. At 75ish kg, and not a particularly hardcore rider, I’ve bent a few seatposts and saddle rails in the past, but like I said, never a Thomson. Nothing is perfect, but they’re one of the strongest offerings out there, and the weight is still pretty good, whilst also not being silly expensive, which means they’re popular.

messiah’s Balfa was asking for trouble! That is one small frame, and one long seatpost! Haha. Expect it was fun to ride though…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Messiahs seatpost is longer than the seat tube!
    Im 6’5″ tall and im no lightweight at 16.5st. Broke kalloy, bent xlite, bent control tech.
    Only syncros and thomson have remained fully functional! The syncros lasted 10 years before being sold on!

hugor
    Free Member

Thread resurrection.
    I’ve just broken the front bolt of my On-one post for the 2nd time in 12 months.
    Its probably is my fault this time cause I replaced both bolts with ones I bought from the hardware store after it broke the first time.
    The On-one post has a similar front and back bolt like the Thomsons do.

Has anybody had the bolts break on a Thomson?
    I’m not worried about the remote chance of it bending cause I think that will probably not lead to a crash, but when the bolt goes, your arse comes down hard on the rear wheel and that could easily end very badly.
    Any other ideas for a very strong post?

4ndyB
    Free Member

The Syntace P6 seatpost is pretty tough

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=1615

mrphil
    Free Member

At the moment I weigh 99kg, done over 2k miles since I have had a 27.2 Thompson. Done around 10 full trails on the post and not bent it (6ft rider), even after having a few “mishaps”

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’ve just broken the front bolt of my On-one post for the 2nd time in 12 months.

Torque wrenches are awesome..

I’m impressed with the controltech one I’ve got.. Similar construction as the Thomson I’ve got, but beefier.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Strong seatposts’ is closed to new replies.