Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Strong saddle recommendations please
  • mangoridebike

Having broken 3 Spesh BG saddles in the last 3 months (2 Ti railed and 1 Cromo) I think I need something a bit more robust. Any suggestions or recommendations for a saddle that will cope with my robust self landing on it?

All three breakages occured during crashes that involved me landing on the saddle rather more heavily than normal riding would involve so they were definitley under duress. I'm looking for something that is more likely to cope with that happening and not cost me a new saddle everytime I crash.

mangoridebike

having looked at the I-beam, are there any other similar options from other manufacturers?

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Get a cheapo and invest the rest in some skills coaching. Repeatedly taking heavy landings and hitting your saddle is one sure fire way to end up in a world of back pain.

ton

sdg belair………….tough enough for anyone.

mangoridebike

Cheers Jimmy

Did a skills course last year and it inspired me to try doing more technical stuff and to mtfu when it comes to jumps/drops etc. which has in turn increased the likelyhood of crashing.

I'm not landing heavily on my saddle often, its just that when I do I break it, so I'm looking for a tougher one.

A recommendation from Ton for a tough saddle will definitely be acted upon 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

SDG Bell air as above or charge spoon both reasonable saddles and good value.

But i would look into HOW you are breaking saddles.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Perhaps try a different skills course. If you have increased your crash rate and its severity then maybe it wasnt the best skills course or you took something from it that wasnt intended to be taken from it.

mangoridebike

The skills course gave me the confidence to try new and more challengin stuff, I would expect to crash occasionally when trying new stuff as learning from your mistakes is part of the learning curve.

The three saddle breaking incidents all occured in different scenarios so I don't think there is a particulat aspect of my technique which is lacking, however I'm always happy to learn.

1st – front end washed out in a corner resulting in bent saddle rails – not entirely sure how I bent the saddle in this one, but it was the only off of the day so I reckon it must have happened at some point then.

2nd – forgot to put my seat down when jumping yet positioned my body as if the seat was down, so landed heavily on the saddle, bending the rails.

3rd – foot slipped off pedal going down a steep descent, lost control shortly afterwards resulting in me landing heavily on the saddle (dropped this time) bending the rails.

This is over the course of 18 months – 2 years so not really a high crash rate – it just seems to be the saddles that suffer when I do. Weighing in at 16 stone in riding gear its not unlikely that the saddle will suffer with me landing on it, I'm now wondering whether cheap/sacrificial saddle might be the best way to go, rather than getting a stronger saddle that will pass the force of the impact onto the frame or elsewhere.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

I'm not trying to be a dick here. Trying to be helpful. If you keep landing heavily on your saddle you will eventually damage your coccyx which is one hell of a painful injury in my experience.

Seb_C
    Free Member

I've got a DMR saddle on one of my bikes, which has taken a real hammering. Not the comfiest though.

mangoridebike

Hi Jimmy, your comments are taken in the way you intend them, but I don't think I land heavily on my saddle very often – twice in 18 months or so and I certainly don't want to keep on doing it. Its only highlighted by the fact that both times I've done it, its broken the saddle.

Seb – i had a DMR saddle for a while which I didn't get on with.

glenp
    Free Member

Having broken 3 Spesh BG saddles in the last 3 months

This is over the course of 18 months – 2 years

Whatever.

Anyhow – I agree that you ought to urgently look at your riding. You don't need to fall off at all. Certainly not smashing into your saddle – serious wedding tackle damage is just around the corner.

jedi

crashes happen, sometimes the saddle gets **** .

i use a sele italia ldy (ladies saddle) on the hummer for the past 6yrs or more.
    always break saddles on the other bike :

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Strong saddle recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.